Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please school me on lino

Boolit Buddy

please school me on lino

Picked up a bunch of this today , there are lso larger blocks with a letter on them not pictured, does it appear that it's all lino or a mix of ?
    there are also larger bars with holes running the lenght of them

Last edited by angus6; 06-11-2013 at 05:09 PM.

That is linotype.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Boolit Buddy

"Linotype"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002-32 edited 2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	290.3 KB 
ID:	73256

As a former Linotype operator I can tell you that only the pieces I've circled in orange are Linotype (i.e. cast on a Linotype machine using "Linotype" alloy).

The other pieces were not produced on a Linotype machine. They were produced on totally different machines, using whatever alloy would have been appropriate to the individual process and/or the individual producer.

The individual letters (circled red) are most likely foundry type, but could also be monotype.

The other pieces are used as spacing material, they were most likely cast on an Elrod Strip Caster. The repeating marks on the side of the bar (green arrows) are characteristic of being cast on an Elrod. The "holes running the length of them" are also a characteristic of the Elrod (typically 3 round holes).

Sorry for the long winded reply . . . the short answer is "you have a mix of Linotype and other type metals."

P.S. I did not see your second photo until after I posted this reply . . . I have no idea what type of machine and/or alloy they would be.
    Last edited by Fritz D; 06-11-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Additional information

Boolit Buddy
    I had thought that the individual letters were either monotype or foundry type.
    If anyone has a sure way to test the larger spacers I'd send them a sm flat rate box full

Boolit Grand Master

I have about 30 lbs of individual letters and numbers close to 5/32 high and deep. The width varies with the letters. They're like tiny dice with raised letters. After years of open storage they are still bright.
    There is no feature for containment in a typeset. Anyone remember what these might be.

Boolit Master
    Fritz D-My last purchase of Linotype had some thin spacers in it from what you called the Elrod. Should I separate it out and melt it to try to determine if it is usable? I separated the typeset out from the linotype because the printer wanted to keep it.

I have just been smelting it all together and casting ingots. I did not realize they were different metals...
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Boolit Master

My Elrod Strip Caster style spacers were all different lengths and had three holes running thru them to reduce the amount of metal required to make them. They all tested as Linotype alloy, no difference in content or hardness from my Linotype strips and thin spacers!

The spacers in the second pic all look to be Monotype spacers to me. No way to prove it but hardness and melting point testing might help.

Either way, a great find!

Man I love this site!! Fritz you da man!

Boolit Buddy
    Boyscout, my personal hands-on experience (small family owned print shop) was with Linotypes only. My understanding is that Elrod spacers were intended to be melted after each use, along with the "lines-of-type" (linotype) so I would assume that Elrod material was made with Linotype alloy. Our shop actually had an Elrod, but it never ran and was scrapped many years ago. I still have the "pot" . . . full of lead!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Man I love this site!! Fritz you da man!
    Thanks.

And I agree . . . great site!

I have some lino spacers that I am told aren't lino hardness. What hardness are they? Thank you
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Buddy
    The last time I purchased Elrod spacers (for use in our print shop) was back in the late 70's/early 80's. The place I purchased it from is still in business and they still have an Elrod. I sent them an email and asked what alloy was used in the Elrod . . . here is his reply:

We still have an Elrod that we use a few times a year. The metal we use in the Elrod is Linotype Metal (84% lead, 12% Antimony and 4% Tin). There is also lead spacing cast on Monotype Caster which is totally different Metal. Easy way to tell the difference between the two is Elrod strips will bend and Monotype strips will break when you try and bend them.

Boolit Buddy
    Easy way to tell the difference between the two is Elrod strips will bend and Monotype strips will break when you try and bend them.
    wonder how much of a bend , the strips in top pic break if bent much more as you see most are broke

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased this spacer 30+ years ago from the supplier mentioned in post #13. I know it was produced on his Elrod (so supposedly is Linotype alloy). This piece was approx. 1/16" thick . . . I bent it this morning and you can see it went quite far before suddenly snapping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elrod 6pt spacer.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	73351

I got some 24" long 2 point rules from an old fellow said it was linotype cast. I was very disappointed when it tested just shy of 16bhn. I'd guess the composition to be around Lyman #2 alloy. They bend easy and break only when near doubled over. The would have printed a very fine 2 point line, but it wouldn't have taken much to damage them. The base is .027 thick, it would have printed a line about .015 thick. Usable, but not what I wanted.

The rectangular things in the OP's second pic are monotype cast spacers. Whether the company was really using monotype alloy I can't say. You'd have to check the hardness.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 06-13-2013 at 03:47 AM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Okay, so after reading these posts...newb question arises: Is Linotype something you mix in with the lead before casting or do you cast boolits with Linotype alone?
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Boolit Master
    Linotype is hard to come by and expensive. I plan on mixing it with COWW to achieve Alloy #2 or something in between instead of Rotometals Superhard. I don't have a source for scrap soft lead. Right now its linotype, COWW, and a few industrial size battery post.

Boolit Master

i was thinking on the same lines what would be a good mix of WW lead and lino to use in a 308 win
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by TangoDownPro View Post
    Okay, so after reading these posts...newb question arises: Is Linotype something you mix in with the lead before casting or do you cast boolits with Linotype alone?
    Could be used either way, linotype is a favorite of the cast bullet benchrest competitors I shoot my milsurp rifles alongside.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast