Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: anyone shoot a 6.5-06

Boolit Mold

anyone shoot a 6.5-06

I'm going to build a 6.5-06 on a Remington 700. I'm sending it to douglas and rebarreled with a #5 .750 at muzzle 1:8 twist. I thought about 6.5-06AI but have read you don't gain much.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't, brother does, but I built it in 93. It has a Wilson barrel 1;9 twist on 1909 arg action, accurate and fast, he's using 7828 and 140 nosler, claims 3k fps. I also heard the 06 AI doesn't gain much, I shoot 150 gr Sierras at over 3100 fps, 5-6 loadings per case and have fired 180 speer at 2950 fps out of same rifle with 24 in barrel, hum.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Mold
    I've been trying to decide 260 6.5-284 6.5-06. My thinking is 6.5-06 brass is easy to find (25-06) and the heavier bullets won't take up powder space. It's main use will be hunting whitetail so the slightly more accuate 6.5x284 won't much much difference. I'm going to send my action to douglas this week.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    For cast boolits, you will be over bore by quite a bit.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Don't have a 6.5-06 but became interested in 6.5 several years ago. Wife ended up with a Ruger 77 II in 260 Remington that we have been pleased with. I had an old Mauser 98 8x57 re-done with a 26" Shilen 1in8 twist and chambered for 6.5x57. We are not shooting warp type speeds out of either rifle but they are successful. Wife has bagged 3 or 4 whitetail and 2 cow elk with her 260, and I have 1 cow elk and 2 whitetail with the 6.5x57. I think the 6.5-06 is a wonderful idea and would make an excellent hunting cartridge for almost anything in North America. JW

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    Don't have a 6.5-06 but became interested in 6.5 several years ago. Wife ended up with a Ruger 77 II in 260 Remington that we have been pleased with. I had an old Mauser 98 8x57 re-done with a 26" Shilen 1in8 twist and chambered for 6.5x57. We are not shooting warp type speeds out of either rifle but they are successful. Wife has bagged 3 or 4 whitetail and 2 cow elk with her 260, and I have 1 cow elk and 2 whitetail with the 6.5x57. I think the 6.5-06 is a wonderful idea and would make an excellent hunting cartridge for almost anything in North America. JW
    Wouldn't mind seein' pics of that '98 there J.W.. Kinda partial to the Mausers in all.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Mold
    I've been wanting a 6.5-06 for a couple of years now. Even bought a Savage package gun with long action as a starting point. thought about
    a Shilen or McGowen barrel that's 24" or 26" in stainless steel. My boy shows up at the door a month after I bought it needing a deer rifle
    for the season. Maybe some day I'll get it back so I can get the barrel ordered. Keep us posted on the progess, it gives us reason to trudge on.