Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: M91/30 trigger

Boolit Buddy Sergeant Earthworm's Avatar

M91/30 trigger

Anyone care to recommend a replacement trigger for a stock Tula M91/30? It's an excellent shooter excepting for the horrible trigger. Timney's replacement is highly rated, one drawback is having to inlet the stock. That and putting a $100 trigger into a $150 rifle seems a little odd.

Boolit Master
    The factory trigger can worked to a fairly decent trigger.
    My last one was #8+, I got it down to #3 with just a little creep.
    You can also replace the sear/bolt stop with a Finnish one that is readily available.
    A Finnish 2 stage trigger if you can find one.
    Also Hubber Concepts makes a replacement trigger.
    I would go with these parts for a nice improvement

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finnish-M39-...item51acbd8e60

https://www.crsurplusspring.com/FinnSear.html

https://www.crsurplusspring.com/SlackSpring.html
    Last edited by hylander; 06-09-2013 at 11:47 PM.
    Failure is not an Option

I was able to reduce the pull on mine by polishing the trigger spring/bolt stop assembly, along with the trigger, to reduce the trigger effort. I then put a small shim between the spring and receiver to reduce how far the bolt stop sticks up. This shortened the length of pull. Finally, I cocked the empty rifle and slammed the receiver on the carpeted floor several times to check for the possibility of bump fire. I still have to go to the range and do a test but I think it will shoot better.
    GH1

Something has to be better! A friend's brother is going to shoot his Mosin in the vintage match at Camp Perry this year. This same brother has a K31, so I was having a hard time understanding the why of that! But, it could be he has ammo for the Mosin, guess that'd help one lean in that direction.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Try this fellow over on the Gunboard. Read the post and he has a picture of the item:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...Nagant+trigger

Boolit Grand Master

We do triggers for the Mosin all the time and get them under 4 pounds and fairly crisp. You just need a little elbow grease and some carefull work. The Mosin's are good shooters for the most part and a little easier to reload for than the K 31.

Boolit Buddy Sergeant Earthworm's Avatar
    All good stuff, many thanks.

I've been reloading the 7.62x54R for about ten years. My experience is that the M39 favors .308 jacketed bullets over 150 grains, best accuracy is with a Hornady 180 grain SST (good luck finding those or anything else right now). Due to the wide variation of bore diameters the Russky rifles are not at all predictable. This is no surprise given the long standing Russian belief that the rifle is merely a means of transporting a bayonet into combat. I had a M38 that would shoot around corners with any bullet and an M91/30 that consistently shoots sub-two inch 100 yd. groups with the 180 grain SST and iron sights. Several years ago I got a great deal on some surplus 147 grain jacketed bullets but they don't shoot well in any of the 7.62x54R rifles.

Anyone have a favorite cast for the M91/30?

Boolit Master

"Anyone have a favorite cast for the M91/30?"

NOE's 314299 or 316299 if you need a bigger boolit, slug the bore to get a throat dia.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    There used to be a trigger kit that helped, but it just had a No. 21 bit, 10-32 tap, 5/32" ball and an allen head screw. If you google "Russian sniper trigger mod" you can find the Russian instructions for their modifications to the PU sniper triggers.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.huberconcepts.com/Mosin-N...eplacement.htm

This guy is from my hometown. No mods necessary.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Huber trigger on my 91/30 it is a great trigger. My 44 i took off the sear spring and put a shim between the sear spring and the receiver (i used a washer for a shim) and i polished the trigger cocking piece as well as the sear spring with polishing compound with a dremel with a buffing wheel. It worked good but it is not as nice as the Huber trigger.

Boolit Master
    There was an American Rifleman issue with details on how the Russians altered the MN trigger for match shooting.
    I know I had that Issue but years ago a cat had kittens in a box that had some of my books and they were not salvageable.
    If I run across that book again I'll try to post a scan of the article. Not sure if I can since another dumb cat pushed my scanner off a table and it may be toast.
    Obviously I have a few too many cats.

That trigger I posted is from a fellow in Finland. I think the Finns know what they are doing and it's a good prices coming from that far.

That trigger I posted is from a fellow in Finland. I think the Finns know what they are doing and it's a good prices coming from that far. They've done more good to the Mosins then anyone.

Boolit Bub
    I picked up a Timney for a song years back. That thing is sweet. 2 3/4# crisp. The safety is nice too. Of course it's on an old bubba scout so inletting the syn stock was no biggie.