Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder Measure for black powder

Operative word "yet" but it looks like I get a lee perfect to devote to BP loading 4570

Boolit Buddy
    I use a very nice old Belding and Mull. They come up on EBay a lot, sometimes very reasonably. Just before stumbling on mine from a fellow club member, I was considering the MVA or the Buffalo Arms brass hopper on a Lyman.

Plastic and static won't set off black powder--until it does. Sure the lawyers are talking, but at the same time, no one here has offered to cover you financially if you are the one person who manages to create the ideal conditions for setting off about a half pound of FFFg a foot or so from your face. Anyone volunteering to cover him in the event he blows himself up? I didn't think so...

I'm a belt-and-suspenders guy, especially when firearms safety is concerned, and prefer to err on the side of caution. But you will do as you choose, I expect. The MVA is a lifetime investment in a fine tool and costs $189. Go try to buy insurance to cover you specifically for a gunpowder accident and see what kind of quote an agent will give you.

Just sayin'.........

Boolit Grand Master

I also used the Bedding and mull measure for Black powder charging. Not because Im super worried about static electricity, but because it throw the most accurate charges for me. Also keep in mind black powder is more corosive than smokeless. Another reason I like the Bedding and Mull is for a few dollars of hobby store brass tubing and of the shelf pars I can make measure tubes and leave them set for each load.

Boolit Mold
    I know this is a little late to the forum but- I remember in the 80's Lyman or MTM or somebody recommended washing the parts in Joy dishwashing detergent and allow them to air dry, don't wipe dry. This was supposed to create an anti-static film. I don't know if it worked or not but it "probably did" after reading about the non issues with static above.

I was using a Lyman, worked ok I guess then some kind soul on here said he used his RCBS electrionc and that's what I've been using ever since.

Still got my fingers and both eyebrows.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Boolit Master
    I'm not worried about stafic setting off black powder in the granulated form. It just conducts electricity too well to heat up to ignition temperature with a minor static discharge. I might worry about extremely fine BP dust that is present in some lots of powder. Get a small cloud of very fine dust and put a spark through it and you might have a different result. It works for flour dust at mills and grain dust at storage silos. None-the-less I do use plastic scoops and plastic reservoirs on measures with black powder with no concerns. The basic rule is don't do anything stupid.

So far I've heard of far more accidents with primers than with any propellant including BP.

Jerry Liles

Graphite powder on powder measure's sure helps to take the static cling out of them when their new.

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I load my BP cowboy loads on my regular Dillon 550 with the plastic hopper, and my BP shotgun loads on my stock Mec Jr. I also pour the BP into PLASTIC shotgun hulls. Not saying it is safe all the time for all people, but been doing it for 9 years and no problems yet.
    That's good to know. I'll give it a shot.

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Quote Originally Posted by bsnjsmith View Post
    I know this is a little late to the forum but- I remember in the 80's Lyman or MTM or somebody recommended washing the parts in Joy dishwashing detergent and allow them to air dry, don't wipe dry. This was supposed to create an anti-static film. I don't know if it worked or not but it "probably did" after reading about the non issues with static above.

I remember this.

awesome again ... seems to come up often huh? thanks for the link.

Boolit Master
    This was on CALGUNS website.

Reloading accident.
    If you read thru till the 9th page He has pictures of his hand two years after the accident.
    There is an ongoing discussion of static electricity with lots of opinions and some feedback from DILLON.

http://www.calguns.n....d.php?t=495909

Another accused SE accident.

http://www.tngunowne...ading-accident/

Holy Black is measured via volume, not weight.

A graduated cylinder is what should be used (in grains not grams)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Black...er/1096214.uts
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    The Dillon has made it through the years loading over 15,000 reloads, no explosions and I smoke my pipe while reloading. I reload over 1000 rounds annually with the Lee
    speaking of guys being on drugs, I watched my brother put about a silverdollar size pile in his hand, and then put a cigarette out in it, and nothing happened. He is still with us, but each day, I wonder if this is going to be the day.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    Holy Black is measured via volume, not weight.

A graduated cylinder is what should be used (in grains not grams)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Black...er/1096214.uts
    So...... what is wrong with weighing a charge for accuracy - repeatability?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    This was on CALGUNS website.

Reloading accident.
    If you read thru till the 9th page He has pictures of his hand two years after the accident.
    There is an ongoing discussion of static electricity with lots of opinions and some feedback from DILLON.

http://www.calguns.n....d.php?t=495909

Another accused SE accident.

http://www.tngunowne...ading-accident/
    links are not working

Boolit Master
    Went to Calguns website
    The California Govt shut it down.
    During a Service School they demonstrated the power of Black Powder by pouring out a line about six feet long on the ground and lit it.
    It just went PHOOM! all at once the whole six foot just like that.
    It don't burn like smokeless powder fellows. It explodes because it is and always has been an explosive!
    Black powder can be set off by heat, percussion, crushing-grinding-squeezing with enough pressure, or sparks.
    Sparks you say! HA.
    Have you ever seen a Flintlock pistol or rifle shoot?
    What sets off the Black Powder charge anyway?
    That's all I'm going to say on this except that the Service considers Black Powder too dangerous to use except in Artillery Pieces.
    Just because you do a thing over and over and nothing happens, doesn't mean it won't ever happen.
    I know a pipe fitter who shoots muzzle loaders.
    He has half a hand on one arm because he has always loaded right from the Powder horn connected measure directly into the barrel because its faster and nuthin ever happened before for almost thirty years.
    "Surprise Surprise Surprise"-Gomer Pyle
    You'll never guess what happened!
    BE safe NOT sorry.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 08-17-2014 at 06:22 AM.

I've used my LEE PPM with no problem's.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    Went to Calguns website
    The California Govt shut it down.
    During a Service School they demonstrated the power of Black Powder by pouring out a line about six feet long on the ground and lit it.
    It just went PHOOM! all at once the whole six foot just like that.
    It don't burn like smokeless powder fellows. It explodes because it is and always has been an explosive!
    Black powder can be set off by heat, percussion, crushing-grinding-squeezing with enough pressure, or sparks.
    Sparks you say! HA.
    Have you ever seen a Flintlock pistol or rifle shoot?
    What sets off the Black Powder charge anyway?
    That's all I'm going to say on this except that the Service considers Black Powder too dangerous to use except in Artillery Pieces.
    Just because you do a thing over and over and nothing happens, doesn't mean it won't ever happen.
    I know a pipe fitter who shoots muzzle loaders.
    He has half a hand on one arm because he has always loaded right from the Powder horn connected measure directly into the barrel because its faster and nuthin ever happened before for almost thirty years.
    "Surprise Surprise Surprise"-Gomer Pyle
    You'll never guess what happened!
    BE safe NOT sorry.
    Sparks from a flintlock are actually hot chunks of metal shaved off the frizzen.
    Yes anybody that loads a muzzle loader directly from a powder horn is asking for trouble, unless they are using water to extinquish the embers left in the barrel of a muzzle loader.
    Loose black powder just goes phisst,, compressed/confined black will explode.

Dang Hogdons and the Pyrodex confusion...... Blackpowder charges are always expressed in grains, or drams weight. Even in the 1800's shooters were admonished to weigh and measure their charges. Pyrodex and other subs are designed to be used on a Volume basis when thrown from a typical blackpowder measure set to throw a given charge in grains or drams.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of powder burnt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg70MlYykDY

army footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FeMXaLh49Y

Silly vid but it shows a pound trail burning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNq6aWbK5eQ

particle size differences in burn rate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcVlc2m4a1s
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-17-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast