Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Why cook Johnson Paste Wax?

Boolit Bub

Why cook Johnson Paste Wax?

I'm looking to start tumble lubing for my pistol lead and I've come across the sticky for 45/45/10 LLA, JPW, MS. It shows the man cooking the JPW, but why? Could I melt it down and mix the ingredients? I've also seen a video some guy who just mixed all three together without melting anything...

Boolit Bub

I think it is to remove certain solvents that are beneficial for waxing furniture, but not so for lube. I know that when I made that lube a lot more cooked off than I thought would.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are cooking off the solvents. It is a pretty important step, it greatly reduces the drying time of the final lube.
    Best suggestion I can give when making lubes from recipes here- follow the instructions and recipe verbatim. Failure to do so frequently causes you to have a mess that doesn't work quite right. Many others have done so before you, learn from their mistakes.

Someone spent lots of time and energy to work out a specific lube recipe and cooking method. Please heed their advice and do it the way they did.

Boolit Master
    And absolutely follow the " NO OPEN FLAME" comment when cooking down the JPW. Several people have commented on the blow torch effect when not following the recommended procedure
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Bub
    Blow torch effect...wow! Thanks guys, but after reading this I found White Label has 45/45/10 lube at just as cheap as I could make it. Oh well, curiosity satisfied!

Boolit Grand Master

You don't have to melt/cook the JPW, but you won't get the same results. I was one who warmed everything and mixed together with my custom chemical mixer (a piece of wire coat hanger with the end bent into a question mark and chucked into my hand drill) and it worked so-so. It didn't dry as true 45-45-10, and it may not have lubed, retarded leading, as well as real 45-45-10. My next batch was done according to directions and the 45-45-10 works as well as eveyone says it does! Then I got lazy and just bought a bottle from White Label...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    You do not have to cook it. You don't need to add the MS, just warm the JPW and stir in the alox. Drying time is minutes.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Moderator Emeritus
    White Label are now selling a commercial version of Recluse's 45/45/10, it is very good indeed at a very friendly price.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks