Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Funnel Cakes

Boolit Buddy

Ruther Glen,Va. Recently escaped from Peoples Democratic of Illinois

Funnel Cakes

One of the joys of summer is all the fest and the funnel cakes. The ones I am talking about come from a batter that is poured into hot oil in larger and larger circles until about the size of a dinner plate then covered with powdered suger. Does anyone know the recipe for the batter?

There are a lot of recipes, with minor variations, if you Google funnel cake batter
    In my experience, convenience and consistency dictates traveling vendors rely on commercially packaged product.

Such as;
    McCormick Golden Dipt Fry Easy Funnel Cake Batter Mix, 8 oz
    Available at Walmart.

Boolit Buddy
    Using boxed batter mix is like loading with j-word bullets. Developing your own mix always produces a flavor and texture most suited to your personal taste.

Boolit Master
    go to www.cooks.com and search for funnel cake, you should find something there to try
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master

Seriously? Just use pancake mix!
    I'll give you our famous Malcolm family pancake/funnel cake recipe.

2 eggs
    2 Tb oil
    2 cups milk
    2 cups flour
    1/4 cup flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    Mix the dry ingredients and make a well in the middle of the bowl.
    Add eggs, milk, oil and stir with a whisk until creamy.

Fill a skillet about 1/2" deep with crisco or your choice of oil.

In order to make funnel cakes, fill a 1 cup funnel with batter, using your finger as a stopper. Use your finger to regulate how fast the batter comes out and move in a progressively larger, spiraling motion.

If you use this recipe in anything other than a cast iron skillet, you have committed sin and you will be punished accordingly.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy

I just used pancake batter with extra sugar added. Unfortunately, I tried to use a deep fryer rather than a skillet and the batter sunk to the bottom and formed a large ball. It tasted OK but it wasn't a funnel cake, it was more like a donut hole.
    GH1

MMMMMM MMMMMMM good.
    The only thing better than homemade funnel cakes are homemade deep fried Milky Ways. Maybe cheese curds.
    I dont know what the wifes recipe is. I'll have to ask.

Here is one of the wifes recipes:

Heat some oil in a frying pan just enough to float the cake.

2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups milk(you can also do 1/2 french vanilla creamer & 1/2 milk is really good!).

Put in med bowl flour, baking soda & salt. Beat your eggs and milk together than added to dry ingredients. Put the batter into an old squeeze ketchup bottle.

once oil is hot enough to fry squeeze the batter into the pan. once the bottom is golden brown take tongues and flip. remove once it is all golden brown. drain for a few seconds on a paper towel. now for the fun part add whatever you would like as a topping.. Homemade ice cream, powder sugar, powder sugar with chocolate syrup, make it into a strawberry short cake ect.....

I think i might have to have me a funnel cake tonight...
    Last edited by reloader28; 06-19-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added recipe

Boolit Grand Master
    Any boxed or homemade pancake batter works good. I've added almond extract to mine.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin