WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: LEE 358-75-wc Group buy starts here

Boolit Bub
    I'm in, ok by me if you make it bigger

Banned
    Just waiting to hear from one more person, But it is looking like it will be .360.......

Boolit Buddy
    If you decide to go .360", then I'm definitely in.

Banned
    .360 wins I will get a new pic. up soon.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    ScheeeeeooooooooooooooooooooooT! You guys got me again. I'm in for two moulds. Bugger, I wish it was a six cavity though.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Moderator Emeritus
    jdhenry,

Just a comment, I haven't committed to this group buy yet... I would prefer a 6 cavity for the production and mold quality. I ran the .38/357 105gr WC group buy and really like the small boolits.

Lee guarantees that the mold will drop at spec to +.003. There is no minus tolerance. Of course, we don't know for sure what their alloy is so there is an opportunity that a mold could be .001 or so smaller than the print if a caster is using a different alloy. Here's the Lee page that talks about the tolerances

If you spec the mold at .360, it could drop at .363 and Lee would still be withing their stated tolerance.

I would suggest verifying the tolerance guarantee with Lee.

John
    Last edited by garandsrus; 09-30-2007 at 10:39 PM.

Boolit Master

Still better bigger than smaller. I can size down, even 5 thou but I can't add any metal.

Moderator Emeritus
    Springfield,

I will certainly agree that too small is not good, although there there are ways to increase the boolit size, such as Beagling. However, too large presents problems also. Many people more knowledgeable than me have stated that sizing a boolit should be kept to a minimum to maintain the integrity of the boolit.

I don't know that it matters, but if you increase the diameter without changing the length, the weight has to go up. It may only be a grain or two, I really have no idea.

It's JDHenry's group buy and he gets to do whatever he wants, and the rest of us can choose to participate or not. I just wanted to make sure that JD knew what Lee's tolerances are and that there is no minus tolerance for a custom mold so Lee will not make them smaller than the print. If they do, they get them back to re-cut under warranty.

John

Boolit Buddy
    I have never had a Lee mold that was oversize. Even the last group but mold I got was .002 undersize. It's much easier to size down a bullet a little bit that it is to keep sending a mold back to Lee and hope they re-cut it correctly! Just my two cents....

Banner Sponsor

New print at .360"
    This should definately be a fun lil boolit to shoot.
    I can't wait to try some cat sneeze loads in my Rossi 92.

Banned
    Thanks again lar45!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

I have heard that sizing too much is not good for accuracy, too, but not sure I buy it. Never heard why, and seems to come mostly from guys who also say you should have your mould custom cut for the particular gun so thaty it drops exactly the size you want. Personally I mostly shoot cowboy so perfect accuracy is not my main concern. Plus I have beagled a couple moulds and it tends to make the bullets more out of round then the LEE moulds already are. I am in the middle of a GB for a Big Lube 44 and I was convinced by some knowledgeable persons on this board the I should have them cut to .434 so that the 44 mag guys could use the bullet even though I personally wanted them at .430. When I mentioned that it seemed like a lot of downsizing for me I was told it would be no problem. So there is a difference of opinion on this subject even on this board. I have a Star sizer and have indeed sized some bullets more than 5 thou and had no problem, but I rarely shoot farther than 50 yards. If anyone has experimented with this I would be interested to hear of their results.

Boolit Master

There's the fact that you decrease the lube capacity to a minor degree. You also increase the strain on the sizer, but I haven't broken one - yet.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Master

I have accidentaly put a .454 bullet in the sizer and jammed it in a .429 die, but I just shoved it on through. But then I have a Star. Made a cool looking bullet. Had a bit of finning on the base.

Banned
    Man, oh, man, I can't make anyone happy......

As for me knowing, "LEE's tolerances " I think you might want to let LEE know first.

Enough, with the I would rather have a 6 cavity.... I know, I know allready I am doing this as a 2 cavity so more guys can afford to buy one.

So I will Open this buy for a 6 cavity mould also

So if you want a 6 cavity cost will be $61.00. So now all will be happy Those of you that have paid for a 2 cavity and would rather a 6 cavity P.M me

Just so we are clear you can get either a 2 cavity or a 6 cavity.

2 cavity: $35.00

6 cavity: $61.00

Now no more complaining!!!!!!!
    Last edited by jdhenry; 10-01-2007 at 01:05 PM.

Banned
    Payment came from:

Boolit Master
    jdhenry,

You have done more than enough. Lock this up and lets get running, personally after the experience I have had shooting this kind of boolit I think most anyone would be happy to be able to cast it, be it 2 or 6 cavity. It can be a challenge, but once dialed in a lot of applications are available for it, you just have to use your imagination. I never dreamed I would have the chance to buy a 6 cavity for a boolit this size, I figured the 105 that John ran would be as close as I would ever get.

My thanks to you and lar45 for your work and patience.
    Last edited by Lucky Joe; 10-01-2007 at 06:34 PM.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master

In that case I will take a 6 cavity for me and a 2 for the guy in Sweden. Unless he wants a 6 also, up to him.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    In that case I will take a 6 cavity for me and a 2 for the guy in Sweden. Unless he wants a 6 also, up to him.
    If you mean me, then I settle for two cavity.

Boolit Master

Verney: Sorry, shoulda looked at the e-mail to see your location. OK, a six for me and a 2 for Verney.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast