Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A very Handi Handi

Boolit Master

where do you guys like your handi rifles to balance for best woods carrying? I find myself carrying right in front of the trigger guard, holding the action. That's very comfortable. But butt heavy. the straight grip makes it barrel heavy. It balances on the trigger guard perfectly, I don't think that's quite right.

Where do you guys like the balance point?

Boolit Master

I have one of those H&R's in 38-55. A fun rifle to shoot and carry around. Very comfortable and a real blast with Holy Black. Mine is accurate enuf out to 335 yds to ring the gong pretty much every time and that thing is a 12" round piece of AR 500 Steel hung on a chain. I suppose I could make some shotshell rounds for chicken coop work but I left my coop in Vermont 24 years ago....
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Because he can?? and some like it. me included. To you JUNK.to me FUN FUN FUN.

Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    The 357 in a 16.5" barrel with a fast peep site would do all that. The rail, QD rings,scope,bipod, laser, flashlight etc just removes the handy in handi. I'm not a fan of accessory blown firearms.

Folks want to attach all this stuff they are sold they need. If you can hit a 3" square at 200y your mission is accomplished be it deer/varmints. Why add all that junk?
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gandydancer View Post
    Because he can?? and some like it. me included. To you JUNK.to me FUN FUN FUN.
    Ummm. Bully for you???? The Swiss Army weapon platform has never appealed to me. I'm a 3 time combat vet and I laugh ever time I see these things made.

But overall your right. It's not mine and If it meets his needs it doesn't matter one cent what I think.

Ummm. Bully for you???? The Swiss Army weapon platform has never appealed to me. I'm a 3 time combat vet and I laugh ever time I see these things made.

But overall your right. It's not mine and If it meets his needs it doesn't matter one cent what I think.
    I suppose it would be funny if it were made for combat NVS, but it wasn't. As I have pointed out, it has an entirely different purpose. And it fits that purpose (or purposes) very well.
    Jack D
    Continuous annual NRA since ~1965

My home page: http://www.metalsmithpro.com

Boolit Buddy
    I sure like the concept, pretty cool, especially the ability to swap scopes or dots onto the rail.

Nothing like a carbine to just make ya smile when you pick it up. Then with the options to change to make it what you want at that moment is cool.

Dan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
    I suppose it would be funny if it were made for combat NVS, but it wasn't. As I have pointed out, it has an entirely different purpose. And it fits that purpose (or purposes) very well.
    Absolutely. I think we agreed to disagree, and for the most part I can see your specific uses. That was pretty aparent a page ago, I think Gandydancer just wanted to start another argument.

My first objection to it as a combat rifle is a single shot! Interesting enough I did see a airport SWAT team with a special purpose T/C in a 14-16" special purpose built shorty like your. I think the idea was it would give them a rifle platform and use the special purpose ammo in light skinned/high dollar enviornments against hostage situation. In ultra specialized situations like this it takes what it takes to do the job.

However when you live out of a backpack/bussle rack you quickly learn to ditch the fluff and haul only what you need.
    Last edited by NVScouter; 08-07-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Boolit Master

I like these builds for one reason. Doesn't matter that I'd never build them in the way they were built, they jog my imagination as to what's possible for bubba (me) to do for mine! Sometimes folks (like me) simply need to be shown what all is possible with a little ingenuity. So I like 'em.

Example. Scope rail on a forend? Nope. Never would have thought of that. Using a QD ring as a base for a bipod? nope. Never would have thought of that. brilliant.

My whole purpose for this rifle...in a nutshell...is versatility. I've sold or passed down all of my hunting rifles and this is my only rifle larger than a .22lr. I wanted a good "project gun" and I favor single shots. I wanted a short gun that I can hold muzzle down and not drag in the dirt while walking. I wanted it short for fast handling in heavy brush. I'm on a fixed income so the H&R was a good starting point. The gun really evolved. It started out as a short, fast handling brush gun for my camper. Then I thought about those night shots at raccoons and other varments that tend to destroy my property and added a light. The upper picatinny rail was so I could mount a "scout scope" to get the scope in front of the hammer (I don't like the hammer extension). The scout scope worked well, but it eventually ended up on my Benjamin Sheridan C9 and I bought the Bushnell for it's 6" eye relief feature...hoping it would clear the hammer spur. It did not, but it is high enough that it does not interfere with the hammer spur. It works well in spite of it's size or maybe because of its size. There's a huge difference between a 28mm objective lens and a 40mm objective lens. The other "gadgets" may, or may not, have a useful purpose, but they are fun to play with....and the whole world revolves around fun. It is what we live for.

The choice of a .357 mag. cal. is really a no brainer. It is the same cal as my SP101 which I hand load for. I can load from light loads for small game, targets and plinking or very heavy loads for big game out to 250 yards. I can even get shot shells in .38 spl.

There is another possible job for this rifle in the back of my mind. I live in Western Oregon and just off shore is the Juan De Fuca subduction zone. If this breaks loose (and it's overdue) the experts say it will be a 9.0+ quake similar to the one off Japan a couple of years ago. If it happens our infrastructure will be in shambles for months, if not years. I may be depending on this rifle to feeds us for some time (assuming we survive relatively uninjured). I live in the foot hills of the Coast Range which was created by this subduction zone and heavy damage is expected for hundreds of miles in all directions from the center. All population centers, Seattle, Portland, Salem, Eugene will be flattened and coastal cities will be gone due to the quake and psunami. Folks like me that live outside the cities will be on our own for a very long time. Its versatility may come in real "handi" some day.

In the meantime, it will be "fun" to play with as well as useful.
    Last edited by Jack D; 08-07-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Jack D

Boolit Master
    You know the Discovery Channel has a show about you!

I imagine that short barreled 357 as a sole rifle would do a better job than the 32-20 that fed many of our forfathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
    There is another possible job for this rifle in the back of my mind. I live in Western Oregon and just off shore is the Juan De Fuca subduction zone. If this breaks loose (and it's overdue) the experts say it will be a 9.0+ quake similar to the one off Japan a couple of years ago. If it happens our infrastructure will be in shambles for months, if not years. I may be depending on this rifle to feeds us for some time (assuming we survive relatively uninjured). I live in the foot hills of the Coast Range which was created by this subduction zone and heavy damage is expected for hundreds of miles in all directions from the center. All population centers, Seattle, Portland, Salem, Eugene will be flattened and coastal cities will be gone due to the quake and psunami. Folks like me that live outside the cities will be on our own for a very long time. Its versatility may come in real "handi" some day.

In the meantime, it will be "fun" to play with as well as useful.

Boolit Master

I used to sit over the irrigation ditches all night and wack Beavers before ripping out the damn with the backhoe.
    If you drive a couple pipes through the dam, below the waterline, the beavers will stop building. They hate the sound of running water and are instinctively driven to stop it. Make your pipes about 20' long so that the beavers don't associate the ends of them with the dam. They will quit working on the dam, and your flooding will stop too, now that the water can pass through the dam. If the dam is too hard or thick to drive the pipe through, just rip sections out, and then lay pipe in the bottoms of the channels. The beavers will rebuild the dam and bury the pipes for you.
    Last edited by DanWalker; 08-07-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    If you drive a couple pipes through the dam, below the waterline, the beavers will stop building. They hate the sound of running water and are instinctively driven to stop it. Make your pipes about 20' long so that the beavers don't associate the ends of them with the dam. They will quit working on the dam, and your flooding will stop too, now that the water can pass through the dam. If the dam is too hard or thick to drive the pipe through, just rip sections out, and then lay pipe in the bottoms of the channels. The beavers will rebuild the dam and bury the pipes for you.
    Learned something new! Thanks Dan I had no idea they would just move on at that point.

You know the Discovery Channel has a show about you!

I imagine that short barreled 357 as a sole rifle would do a better job than the 32-20 that fed many of our forfathers.
    I don't consider myself a "Prepper" by their standards, but I do think it is everyone's repsonsibility to be prepared for the most likely "unlikely" event and in our case that is that 9.0 megaquake. I believe 30-60 days is a minimum for food, water and shelter. I feel like we're there....assuming the well isn't destroyed.
    Jack D

Boolit Buddy

Jack

seeing your gun makes me want to make one in 30-30 just for boolits. i like the scout scope option and the short barrel.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I gonna take some duck tape and a butcher knife and mount a bayonnet on mine, by golly
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    I gonna take some duck tape and a butcher knife and mount a bayonnet on mine, by golly
    HAHAHAHA!

I realize the older I get, the more paranoid I'm getting. Agreed 30 days minimum supplies on hand. 60 is better and 90-120 best.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by grampa243 View Post
    Jack

seeing your gun makes me want to make one in 30-30 just for boolits. i like the scout scope option and the short barrel.
    Ive been looking for a used youth one just like this for my son.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 78622 Don't have a bayonet, but then again don't need earplugs...............357 magnum
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    Now that would make it an assault rifle and likely be banned.
    Jack D