MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Expensive Lead

Boolit Master

Cool Expensive Lead

A local shop gave me just over 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket of COWW and all it cost me was the installation of four new shocks, upper and lower ball joints, and a wheel alignment. They must have felt sorry for me after two visits in one week.

My last wheel weight find of about 60lbs cost me two full sets of tires! All I asked for was my eight wheel weights back and they gave me a box of them. One tire shop I checked on was saving them as an investment thinking the value would go up along with gold and silver. Other tire shops were "under contract" with the scrap dealers.

If they are doing service for you, it doesn't hurt to ask just don't get greedy or too desparate.

I also will be making a purchase of linotype soon from someone who has more than I can afford to buy at any one time at $0.75 lb. So far my budget has allowed for about 150 lbs of linotype slugs.

Boolit Bub
    The last bastion of liberal thought in Texas
    Look at it the other way, if you hadn't gotten the lead, you still would have spent the money.

Boolit Buddy
    At least you got some. After $400 worth of repairs to my car, I came away empty after asking for some WW's.

Boolit Master
    I've never gotten kickbacks for fixing my truck, and this is New Mexico, there's kickbacks everywhere.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naďve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. It's a bonus for getting work done there. It's tough to find a mechanic you can trust, and getting lead is icing on the cake.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    I was happy to get the stuff. I smelted some of it this morning; it was the dirtiest bucket I have worked through but it made some fine ingots. Someone else gave me some huge truck weights but everyone of them turned out to be steel or something worse. They are going out with the clips. Our lift mechanic gave me some battery post and they melted down fine too. I'm treating those as wheel weights.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 383 View Post
    At least you got some. After $400 worth of repairs to my car, I came away empty after asking for some WW's.
    Had a place do the same to me, and tell me that it was against the rules, I told them that bringing my car back to them was now against my rules...I always work it into the price of a set of tires. Usually they are more than happy.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    I've never gotten kickbacks for fixing my truck, and this is New Mexico, there's kickbacks everywhere.
    You (me too) should have chosen a different profession, like being a politician, judge or a wealthy influential patrón.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't make a good politician. I'm not smart enough to remember and keep track of my lies and I'm too conservative to have the press run interference for me.

Boolit Bub
    After having several separate repairs done at my local shop I asked if I could buy some wheel weights. She gave all they had for free (about a gallon) and said I could come back any time! It's time for a set of brakes next month so I will see how much they have for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I would mention it ahead of time that the repair shop who comes up with some weights gets my business.