Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Lc 308 primer seat trouble

Boolit Master

Lc 308 primer seat trouble

I have alot of LC 308 brass, I swaged all the primer pockets with a RCBS swager. I tried to seat primers and they were really hard to seat, I chamfered the primer pocket with a countersink bit and still the same primer flatening problem. What can you recommend for my troubles?

Boolit Master
    Are they Wolf/Tula, by chance?

If so, they run a bit fatter. I seat them with a Lyman ram prime, after finding the Lee hand primer wasn't quite up to the task.

Boolit Master
    I have a metric boat-ton of LC-05,06 and 07 cases in 7.62 NATO, and have had no troubles seating primers. Nice tight pockets. I also uniform the pockets for depth and size. I also use the RCBS primer pocket swager set. I use CCI LR primers. The primers are set with the primer seater on the loading press or with the Lee press attachment with a Lee hand press. I know this is no help to you.

Could you share a little more information on what is happening and what you are using?

Boolit Master

I was seating with a lee hand primer, The primers in most are tight right at the mouth and I really had to use both thumbs to get the primers to seat. I flattened a few primers along the way, I guess I can try to prime on the RCBS Supreme and see if that would help out. All the brass is the same year headstamp Lake City 74. Thanks for any help possible.

Love Life
    Did you swage them enough? I've always met resistance priming LC brass, but never had to squish a primer.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a few thousand of both LC64 and WRA 67 7.62mm brass, most processed on a Dillon 600, but some with the RCBS press mounted Primer pocket swager. With both lots of brass Winchester Large Rifle primers are very tight when using the RCBS hand priming tool.

I think its a combination of relatively hard brass springing back after swaging the pockets, and very little mechanical advantage in the priming tool. I haven't actually flattened any primers, but a few haven't quite looked right.

I may have to set up the Lyman ram prime unit to see if it does any better, I don't have a priming arm on any of my presses.

I never noticed any extra effort when using LC 5.56mm brass vs commercial .223 Remington.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I have Lake City NM brass for my M1As. It was all swaged on a dillon swager and works fine. Swaging with most tools is a set-up and adjust operation. Are you sure you swaged these deep enough to remove all the crimp? I did some 223 LC brass and didnt git the dillon set quite deep enough and ended up redoing it. If its tight and you did everything right you can always ream the pockets. Lyman and several others make a primer pocket reamer for this. I also found with Lake City brass uniforming the primer pocket for depth/flattness was a big improvement. Try setting the swager a shade deeper into the pocket do a couple and try priming. If its an older tool and been used alot the punch may be worn enough to cause this.

Boolit Buddy

I had a primer go off on me useing a wolf LP primer when seating in LC brass. I new i was pushing the limit. Guess i found it

Boolit Grand Master

Not running the swager deep enough. Been there, done that.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Measure a sampling of the primers. With a Micrometer, not a caliper. If they are consistent try running your RCBS swager a little deeper. What brand of primers are they?
    Its not the AR-15, its the PG -13.

Boolit Master

Rem 9 1\2 primers.

Boolit Buddy
    As mentioned earlier, the Primer Pocket Swage Punch may be worn. If so, you may want to contact RCBS Customer Service Representative they may be able to supply a new replacement.

The primer pocket swaging process is a "TWO Stage" effort. The first stage is when the nose of the punch enters the primer pocket and starts to reform the primer pocket and reforms the crimp to the diameter of the primer pocket. The second stage is when the body of the punch enters the primer pocket deep enough for the flared portion of the punch to reform the crimp area to a radius (as in a commercial cartridge case).

I have had better performance in swaging the primer pockets by lubricating the primer pockets with "Lee Resizing Lube" and wiping the primer pockets clean with a "Q-Tip" after swaging.

Good luck in your reloading efforts, Safeshot
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Master

OK Fellers, I just came up stairs from re-swaging the primer pockets, You were correct in telling me that I did'nt swage deep enough. I primed the brass and it went very smooth this time, Thanks to all who helped out.