RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersPBcastco
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: HFPC Boolits..Piglet Method

I posted about the hitek method to let people know that I have the finished product in hand made by a commercial caster and have tested it to some degree. Its a good product. This is about experimenting with PC piglet method. I just wanted to eliminate hitek postings so that we dont get alot of random posts about 4 or 5 different methods.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Master
    TES.
    No worries, Mate
    I'm cool with that.
    HDS, Thanks.
    But...If you are going to run down the HI-TEK in this thread, Well....Expect a post or two from me

I hope the PC works for those that are trying it, and good luck with your trials.
    I am enjoying the coating I'm using, I hope you enjoy yours.

all the best.
    Regards, Trevor
    OZ

Boolit Buddy
    Well put Ausglock!

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    TES.
    No worries, Mate
    I'm cool with that.
    HDS, Thanks.
    But...If you are going to run down the HI-TEK in this thread, Well....Expect a post or two from me

I hope the PC works for those that are trying it, and good luck with your trials.
    I am enjoying the coating I'm using, I hope you enjoy yours.

all the best.
    Regards, Trevor
    OZ
    I get that. But let me be clear. I have had only good experiences with the Hi Tek coating so NOTHING bad has been said by me about his coating. Just my observations and experiments with PC. I would purchase his coating with out hesitation I just wish there was more in the color department available to us. IE if we could add pigment to do color changes on the fly. I asked if that was available and kinda got the cold shoulder. I think he felt like I was prying for his secrets and that was not my intentions. This has a huge potential market share here and lets face it folks want color options. It would be nice if there was a way to have them. This reason is really the only one that has me experimenting with PC. If I could get even a response from the guy regarding this it would be great.

Ausglock - if you want a hi-tek thread, start one. Out of courtesy, please leave those investigating other stuff alone. Mods?
    Whatever!

Epic FAIL using HFPC + soft lead.

After 10 rounds I had extensive leading, awful accuracy, and 2 rounds actually key holed the target at 15 feet in my 9mm. I guess this isn't the holy grail.

The shame of it is that this, my second attempt at coating, I had very good results aesthetically (using actual HF paint).

Bummer, how soft?

Pure lead.

oh well, we can't have everything

Banned

No bmiller, I have Lee equipment.

tumbling variation

I have been using a cement mixer, 3 parts acetone : one part Harbor Freight Black powder paint. I use a 12 gauge hull for a measuring devise. I put 300 45 acp bullets in a Rectangular cat litter bucket that I bolted on the mixer instead of the drum.I put 2 shotgun hulls full of MIXED acetone/ powder in the bucket and turned it on. I walked away until the bullets were basically dry: no liquid left in the bucket. This method applies very evenly. The acetone flashes away fairly quickly because it is covering the surface of so many bullets. The mix gets thicker and thicker in consistency as time goes by, but the volume is getting is getting smaller all the time, and it pretty much all winds up on the bullets. BAke as usual. Size .452.I will be loading some tomorrow and will report, but I am certain one coat will work with this method. I will be catching some bullets to see what the results are there, too.

Complete coverage of the CBs?
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Complete coverage of the CBs?
    Not sure who your question is addressed to. If me, then yes. Full coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by docmagnum357 View Post
    I have been using a cement mixer, 3 parts acetone : one part Harbor Freight Black powder paint. I use a 12 gauge hull for a measuring devise. I put 300 45 acp bullets in a Rectangular cat litter bucket that I bolted on the mixer instead of the drum.I put 2 shotgun hulls full of MIXED acetone/ powder in the bucket and turned it on. I walked away until the bullets were basically dry: no liquid left in the bucket. This method applies very evenly. The acetone flashes away fairly quickly because it is covering the surface of so many bullets. The mix gets thicker and thicker in consistency as time goes by, but the volume is getting is getting smaller all the time, and it pretty much all winds up on the bullets. BAke as usual. Size .452.I will be loading some tomorrow and will report, but I am certain one coat will work with this method. I will be catching some bullets to see what the results are there, too.
    Thank you for the report. I was sure a cement mixer would do a better a job, but just wasn't going to plop down the cash. I might have to make one. Can you post a picture of how you mounted the kitter litter box?

Quote Originally Posted by docmagnum357 View Post

Don't shoot those or you will be doing a lot of cleaning.

My range findings with HF black are well...I'm not too happy!

Yellow ok and will pass for hobbyist.

High end PC is the best and only a couple a bucks more per pound.

I am going to be giving the big reveal on the alternate method I have used. I wont be using it for production. I will most likely be using Hi tek.

Not a commercial..just my findings. Don't hate me please!

TES

Boolit Buddy
    Tes, waiting patiently!

Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    Not a commercial..just my findings. Don't hate me please!

TES
    Your dead to me! ! ! jk

I'm not having any problem with the black. What issue did you have?

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Pure lead.

Up it to 12 - 20 bhn no more leading.

The mixer drum has a three arms coming from a central hub. All I did was take the drum off and drill some holes that work with the rectangular bucket. I am not really good with the cell phone camera thing, but I will try to post a picture of the whole rig.

I haven't shot any yet, and I get mixed reports about how they work with Black ( or any ) Harbor Freight Powder paint. I will just have to try it and see.

I will be doing two coats, and maybe three. One coat does not really look very good.
    Last edited by docmagnum357; 06-16-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip62 View Post
    Your dead to me! ! ! jk

I'm not having any problem with the black. What issue did you have?
    Huge globs of black.

I shot 15 of each of these.

Traditional method ( piglet)

4:1 alternate

3:1 Alternate

(forgot)

4:1 alternate 50:50 High end and HF black (semi gloss)

3:1 alternate 50:50 High end and HF black (high gloss)

When sized the black went glossy under friction. Matt on top. Barrel was just gunked up period. It was worse than cleaning moly out of my barrel.

All other colors shot and cleaned well. 3 passes with same method and clean barrel. High end PC looked the best for product purposes meaning cosmetically they were the best and color options where the best.

Gonna actually do my own coating with some HT so that I can eliminate any speculation.

Was looking for the holy grail here but don't think this is it.

Oh and accuracy was pretty darn good for all coatings. I'm not a master shooter but 30 yards and 6" groups standing.
    Last edited by TES; 06-16-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast