Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
PBcastco Lee Precision
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: HFPC Boolits..Piglet Method

Hey Skip62, how about providing the results of your Klass Kote in this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...nd-color/page3 (that way we can keep HI-TEK, Piglet Coat, and Klass Kote in separate threads). I'm very interested in that coating method too.

Somebody call the doctor....I'm seeing spots.

HFPC with flecks. Seems to coat well. Color is hit or miss but they are coated completely with polymer.

Far less smell with HFPC when baking than the fancy stuff I was using.

Alternate method used here.

These are my LSU boolits!
    Last edited by TES; 06-13-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Buddy
    Tes, can you throw us a hint on the alternate method?

Boolit Master
    THose look like some kind of easter candy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Hey Skip62, how about providing the results of your Klass Kote in this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...nd-color/page3 (that way we can keep HI-TEK, Piglet Coat, and Klass Kote in separate threads). I'm very interested in that coating method too.
    I already had, top of page 2. Be aware I was not advocating it. It's just too fussy. You have to adjust the amount of reducer with the slightest change in temp or humidity. They "look" really good when done, but leave streaks in the barrel. Not lead, paint, and it cleans out with a quick swipe of a nylon brush, but still.

Time bomb Jaw breakers...lol..that's it

Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    Color is hit or miss but they are coated completely with polymer.

Far less smell with HFPC when baking than the fancy stuff I was using.

Alternate method used here.
    TES,
    I take it the paint still isn't really HF even though you say its HFPC. HF colors are only black, white, red, and yellow. Where did you get that paint?

What are the specks? Is that lead showing thru?

You say "color is hit or miss but they are coated completely with polymer". Tell me if my understanding is correct: the acetone dissolves the polymer, but not the pigment. That is why Piglet says to use thin coats? Even without the pigment coloring the bullet, there IS polymer covering it?

Anyone try using this for Piglet Coating: Liquid 2 Powder - This product offers ultimate versatility for powder coating as the powder solution can be sprayed on with an airbrush, HVLP gun, or brushed on like a normal liquid paint and then cured like a traditional powder coat leaving a very durable and smooth finish behind.

http://www.powderbuythepound.com/LIQ...OWDER_-1_PINT/

Sounds very much like the Piglet method. Just wondering if it'd offer any advantages.

Prickett, I keep thinking about it. Someone on one of the other threads said it won't, he'd used it for something else. Doesn't mean it won't, just that's what he said. It would definitely change the pricing model of the Piglet coat though.

Anyone try using this for Piglet Coating: Liquid 2 Powder - This product offers ultimate versatility for powder coating as the powder solution can be sprayed on with an airbrush, HVLP gun, or brushed on like a normal liquid paint and then cured like a traditional powder coat leaving a very durable and smooth finish behind.

http://www.powderbuythepound.com/LIQ...OWDER_-1_PINT/

Sounds very much like the Piglet method. Just wondering if it'd offer any advantages.
    I have, but I couldn't make it work. When it dries, the boolits cannot be handled without knocking the powder off.
    My observation of the liquid 2 powder is this: it appears to be water with some additive like soap that reduces the waters surface tension...
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Yes the yellow speckle is HFPC just with crud in the jar from the blue boolits I made. It all came out together and you get speckled boolits. Mistake and laziness not intended coating method. Yes Lead shows through the coating because the color powder is merely suspended and not dissolved like with the better powder coat I bought (blue). Thin coats are what I did and its not as good as the better PC for the alternate method I use. Still coated well just cosmetically blemished. Trying some more methods tomorrow and will post results.

Quote Originally Posted by olaf455 View Post
    I have, but I couldn't make it work. When it dries, the boolits cannot be handled without knocking the powder off.
    My observation of the liquid 2 powder is this: it appears to be water with some additive like soap that reduces the waters surface tension...
    I saw your (?) earlier post about it not working, but wondered how it was applied and what the downside was. Sounds like - unlike Piglet Coat - it doesn't dissolve the paint, but rather just acts as a carrier? If that is the case, why not just wet the bullet and sprinkle on the powder. Seems like that would do the same thing

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    OK, now I'm curious. Anybody try dipping & drip dry? Or E-S dipping? With the Alestra mix the drying appears to be the big problem in rough coating, tumbling doesn't give a smooth coat, 2 or 3 required.
    I tried dipping, different mixes, didn't work.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    OK, now I'm curious. Anybody try dipping & drip dry? Or E-S dipping? With the Alestra mix the drying appears to be the big problem in rough coating, tumbling doesn't give a smooth coat, 2 or 3 required.
    I tried dipping, different mixes, didn't work.

Franky I can see why the HF powder wouldn't work for dipping, maybe the powder TES is using mixes better? Thinking the old auto body dip paint process which worked well for enamel paint.
    Whatever!

I saw your (?) earlier post about it not working, but wondered how it was applied and what the downside was. Sounds like - unlike Piglet Coat - it doesn't dissolve the paint, but rather just acts as a carrier? If that is the case, why not just wet the bullet and sprinkle on the powder. Seems like that would do the same thing
    I tried a number of different methods. I used an airbrush to spray it on, attempted tumbling them, dipping them one at a time......
    The closest I got to success was spraying on with an airbrush, but I had to stand each one of them up on an aluminum foil covered baking tray first. Airbrushing however did not produce and even coat all the way around the bullet which is why I tried tumbling.
    Liquid 2 powder has been shelved permanently I do not believe it will work.
    In its intended application I believe it would work quite well, as a way to apply something fancy to a powder coating project.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

OK..HFPC does give a complete polymer coat but color consistency is less than satisfactory for production purposes. If you are going to use a PC then spend an extra 2 bucks per pound and get a better PC.

Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    OK..HFPC does give a complete polymer coat but color consistency is less than satisfactory for production purposes. If you are going to use a PC then spend an extra 2 bucks per pound and get a better PC.
    Beyond color consistency, do the better powders lay flatter?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
    At Glock.

Yea but if you notice the thread isn't asking about HT. The tread is about powder coat using the piglet method so why come to a thread labeled as such and start posting about HT?
    Probably because the thread starter decided to bring it up in his first post. He can't really expect to bring up the Hitek product in a way that says its worse than method X, then say nobody may talk about it afterwards. I dunno about you but that sounds like something out of kindergarten to me. Don't want to talk about Hitek in a thread you make? Lead by example instead of: do as I say, not as I do.

Um little bit. depends on the method. In my opinion its worth the money for a more professional result with the method I'm using. Tumbled there is probably little to no difference. But with better powders you have more color options. I will find out which powder I got from the PC company here that I bought the powder from.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast