RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: HFPC Boolits..Piglet Method

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    The only smell I get is burning gun powder. nothing from the coating.
    I shoot with a lot of people that use bayou bullets and they all say the same thing. It smells. Maybe your used to the smell, I'm not, haven't shoot anything but jacketed until last year when I tried bayou.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    The only smell I get is burning gun powder. nothing from the coating.

Baking the coating at 190-200C should leave no residual components that may cause an odour.
    It is most strange that odours are noticed.
    I will have to follow up with this with Bayou, and other manufacturers, to see what they say about this.

I noticed an almost Bakelite, very light Oder.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I noticed an almost Bakelite, very light Oder.
    Yes, maybe the "secret formula" is just that, phenol formaldehyde resin, maybe glue, 2 component thermosetting glue normally used for example when manufacturing plywood?

Hardens at about 200 degrees centigrade, depending on the hardener, and costs very little.
    Or maybe shellac solution.

Easy to check.

U.S. Customs data says that this imported "secret formula" is:
    "Paint D.G. Class 3 Un1263"
    and that is:
    "Dangerous goods labels class 3. UN1263: paint, including paint, lacquer, enamel, stain, shellac solutions, varnish, polish, liquid filler, and liquid lacquer base".

My non-secret-formula PC-bullets do not smell...

Quote Originally Posted by Skip62 View Post
    Says $68 on his website. http://www.bayoubullets.net/Coating.html

HI- tek works well, but smells bad when fired.
    I think he was referring to the half liter quantity that Donnie also can sell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip62 View Post
    I shoot with a lot of people that use bayou bullets and they all say the same thing. It smells. Maybe your used to the smell, I'm not, haven't shoot anything but jacketed until last year when I tried bayou.

I noticed the smell yesterday too. Took me back to the days I'd cut Formica with a power saw. Smells just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    I think he was referring to the half liter quantity that Donnie also can sell you.
    Ah, didn't know that was an offering.
    Thanks

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    I noticed the smell yesterday too. Took me back to the days I'd cut Formica with a power saw. Smells just like that.
    If it looks like a dog, walks like a dog and smells like a dog, then it's...."The Secret Formula"

Boolit Bub
    By the way, Hi-Tek has sent me a private message and I think it is better to publish it:

"I want your name address so I may start action against you.
    It appears, that you are intent in continuing to try and undermine me, defame me and my products, and continue posting materials in the public domain, with such deliberate intent.
    I will not allow you to hide behind your blog name "piglet" any further.
    "

So, do that. You allow what You allow. I could not care less.
    I am nice, I will allow You to hide behind all Your blog names.

I am sure that one day the administrators here see who helps other members and who is instead using this site as a marketing help only.

I shall continue publishing my findings and help others absolutely free of charge. No snake oils here.
    Grow up. You see, the free piglet method is spreading....
    Last edited by piglet; 07-22-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Banned

"I want your name address so I may start action against you.
    It appears, that you are intent in continuing to try and undermine me, defame me and my products, and continue posting materials in the public domain, with such deliberate intent.
    I will not allow you to hide behind your blog name "piglet" any further. "

As I said before, Hi-Tek and his drones are so extremely touchy. Love the lawsuit card. I would classify Hi-Tek as an alleged colossal weenie , but that would not be in the spirit of the forum, so I will refrain from calling him an alleged colossal weenie in spite of his crazy-a$$ post. I know I for one, will never spend a dime on anything he sells as I find his attitude lacking and below average. Chill-out Hi-Tek.

I was going to order a liter but reading closely to hi-tek's posts. You are your worst enemy.
    You have no one to blame but yourself for your own defamation. You do understand that you look absolutely horrible when YOU try to threaten shooters who are offering free information.
    There is more then one way to coat a bullet. A cheaper alternative comes along and you pounce at the opportunity to threaten into submission or talk down another man's methods. You did the same thing with the MCC guy on youtube, now piglet.
    Shame on you.

On a side note,
    I tried the acetone and Cherry Red PC(ebay) method and even after curing in the oven for its recommended 400F/20min time, acetone would still dissolve the baked on coating when I try to do a 2nd coat.
    I have a lb of HF white PC and perhaps that will do better vs solvents.

Banned

fusionstar916 check out this thread

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=141&t=84219

Boolit Master
    Personally. I think Piglet got a bug up his **** because HI-TEK wouldn't tell him what was in the Supercoat, so Piglet could make his own.

So. if the powder coat system is working for you, and you are getting the results that suit you, then fine. be happy with the coating system you are using.

But I don't get the hostility directed toward the HI-TEK coating system. It works! and has worked for many many years.

I'm going to try some powder coat. I have aquired a Kg from the local powdercoating place in black to try. Going to do some 230gr RN TL 45 and see how it goes.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Hmm.. looks like a "Yank" is getting close to figuring it out...(or at least a "Yank board") or maybe even something better!

At $68/liter it's bound to happen. Especially when it's a hard to get $68/liter. Especially when it's a group of people who like to create their own projectiles instead of buying them for a very small amount of extra money. This type of person would like to create their own coatings as well. It's an addiction. Buying "secret stuff" just isn't fun when you make your own stuff as a hobby.

I think I'll skip trying it too. I tried a small run of "Piglet" and the powder gun from HF and I prefer the powder gun. But I find the experimentation here fascinating and no matter what $6 to "try this out" would.. I dunno.. probably help the sales of the $68 stuff. I think Piglet probably should get a commission!

Now.. to figure out if they shoot well? That'll be a few weeks at my current schedule... If not I had a blast powder coating and will use it for my other hobbies. Every metal box in the house will be coated in the stuff by the end of the year!

G'Day!

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I have several gallon cans of lacquer thinner but It never occurred to me to use it. I'm so ecstatic to try it now. No more LLA contaminating my powders in the heat. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    fusionstar916 check out this thread

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=141&t=84219

By what authority is anyone on this board allowed to 'demand' someone make public anything proprietary? Hi-Tek provides HIS product to buy. If you don't find it working in your application, fine, you can post it. If you don't like the product or the guy, don't buy his stuff. If you think he is swindling you by relabelling floor paint and selling as boolit lube, prove it and then do something about it. If you think you can do better, make it, sell it and of course post it's formula here so we can make it for free. Is it the best thing since sliced bread? Probably not. End rant.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I was cleaning up after powder coating some 38 Special bullets, using the conventional powder coat gun.

I was using carburetor cleaner from NAPA to wipe off the glass door of the counter top convection oven after scraping with a razor blade.

There was some loose powder on the top of the oven. When I wiped it off the powder coat seemed to dissolve.

I squirted some of the NAPA into a cut off cola can and placed a small amount of the powder in the liquid.

The powder coat dissolved.

What ever is in the carburetor cleaner seemed to dissolve the powder coat well.

The cleaner seemed to work better than acetone.

I will try this again later this week to see if the solution will work with the piglet method.

Quote Originally Posted by fusionstar916 View Post
    On a side note,
    I tried the acetone and Cherry Red PC(ebay) method and even after curing in the oven for its recommended 400F/20min time, acetone would still dissolve the baked on coating when I try to do a 2nd coat.
    I have a lb of HF white PC and perhaps that will do better vs solvents.
    I was having this problem, after it working fine. I bought an oven thermometer to check my oven, it was not getting hot enough on bake, only 350°. I put it on broil and hit 475°, so now I put it on broil and set to 400 and the thermometer goes from 400° to 425° and back again. Problem is I can no longer use the top rack cuz when that top burner kicks in it melts the bullets. I get these protrusions of lead where the coating is thin.
    Another guy had his plugged into an extension cord and wasn't getting enough juice to get up to temp.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Thanks for your blog.
    I fully understand where you are coming from.
    I also have over the years been exposed by snake oil salesmen, and con merchants and some very clever ones indeed.
    I am not upset about your scepticism.
    In your time, you must have really had many bad experiences with con men.
    What is of concern is, that you have not appeared to have done any homework, and, are implying, that thousands of shooters, who have used the HI-TEK coatings successfully over 20 years, have all been duped and conned, because the formulation is a "trade secret".
    You must concede, that your such assertion is a little over the top and a little insulting to those shooters..
    Mate, I am not that good, that I can fool all those people, for all those years, an no one has been able to realise that they have been conned.
    I am really very flattered that you consider with your assertion, placing me on top of the pedestal, the king of con men, and, that I have the ability to carry out such deed for such a long time.... lol.
    Please, have a think about what you are writing and before you do it.
    docmagnum357 Has one line about Hi-Tec at the start of the last paragraph.It is a positive assertion not a negative.The next part of his last paragraph is admitting to a phobia he has about your product/types that are unknown,and no where in there does he accuse you of anything.You assumed he was "IMPLYING" when there isn't any. You actually owe the man a apology.
    These people are just trying another way to do the same thing your product does which is what people do.Simple "I don't want the expensive Cadillac when I can have fun in my Ford pickup."This experiment is proving fruitful for many,and it uses something other than your product.
    What you have done is to make yourself a fool in public forum by naming yourself as the "king" of anything in your mind,and script which is devoid of truth.There is no application of anything you have said in this forum before this post.People just ignored the Hi-Tec pro-post is all.And I quote you your own last line,"Please,have a think about what you are writing,and before you do it."
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BBQJOE View Post
    I'd say the con man thing was pretty well implied.
    Are you so liberal that you would take what was written out of context?
    If that is the way to read things then I need to not be a Christian.Why? Because God is dead. The Bible says in old testament scripture God is dead (then of course adding the rest of the scripture)sayest the fool.
    Docmagnum357 admits "he"has a problem.It is his phobia. Your hard heart reads it differently.
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast