Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time Shake - n - Bake...Red white and Blue

Boolit Bub

First time Shake - n - Bake...Red white and Blue

After reading all the great info on this forum I decide to give the shake - n bake method a try and had great results. I used the black BB's, a few different plastic tubs that all were no 5 recycle symbol. The powders I purchased from Absolute powder coating and Harbor Freight. Shook and swirled as others have described. I tried several different methods to remove from the bowl including nitrile gloves and needle nose pliers. I don't think I have settled on a favorite yet. Baked in a toaster oven 400 degrees for 15 min on non-stick aluminum foil with some standing and some on their sides. Overall I think it went really well, and I'm pleased with the results. The white powder was coating way to heavy. Lesson learned I put too much powder in. Overall my favorite so far is the Blue.

Powder was from:

Absolute Powder Coatings - RAL 5002 Ultramarine Blue Powder Coating ($1.50/lb on sale) HIGH GLOSS WHITE POWDER COAT
    Harbor freight Red

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rwb1.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	179904

Welcome to the forum dterniko...very nice work there. (Is your COAL correct? I'm either not familiar with that cast, or it looks a bit long...I dunnoh?)

*Removing them from the tub is a bit of a problem but I overcame it by pouring them in a large tray I borrowed from the kitchen (and kept).
    I pour them in a pile, then while the tray is flat on the table top I hold one end and gently shake it back and forth (like North to South direction wise) to get the casts to roll out of the pile of BB's and PC.
    As they do they recoat each other where thay have bumped together in the #5 tub.
    I then grab them with the tweezers and stand them on parchment paper as in this picture.

Attachment 179910
    About 1/2 will roll out with bases pointing in opposite directions...after picking all of them that laid in one direction I just turn the tray 180* and go after the remaining.
    As I pick them I tap the tweezers on the corner of the tray to knock excess powder off the casts and that insures that I don't get uneven coats on their noses that lead to improper seating depths...especially if your seating to hit a crimp groove on the cast.

good luck bud...hope to see more of your handi-work in the future...charlie

PS...I didn't see your location, maybe you forgot it in the description...where are you from?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for the tip with the tray to remove. I am going to give that a try next time, looks like it will work out great. Should be a time saver too, luckily I just happened to have "borrowed" one from the kitchen

Do you end up just pouring it all back into the tub reusing the powder?

From Connecticut, just updated my profile

-Dan

As a two week old Reloader, does the coating add width to the base making it difficult to place in the belled casing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    No issue there, the coating is really not adding much diameter. Plus after running through a sizing die you're right back to the diameter you need to be

Pouring it back to the tub is a little ticklish but it ain't bad...I tip it against my arm to stop any BB's from bouncing out then lightly tap the bottom of the pan to get the powder to slide into one corner and into the tub...it's worth the effort. You'll get the hang of it.

If you can find a pair of tweezers that have that narrow curved tip like these shown here it's a piece of cake to grab the casts in the bottom lube band and it allows your hand to be higher off the table when your setting them in line on the parchment.

Boolit Master

I'm set to try this soon, I have the powder, just need to get a cheap toaster oven

Attachment 179927

Make sure you buy a 'convection' oven with the air circulating fan or you will have hot spots and have a miserable time controlling the heat to as close to 400*F. as you can.

Also do not trust the thermostats in these cheap little ovens...get a good oven thermometer like the pic. above, there cheap but very reliable compared to the bi-metallic spring models.

Welcome to our madness...charlie

PS...where are you from, I don't see it on your Avatar.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I'm set to try this soon, I have the powder, just need to get a cheap toaster oven
    For a first attempt out to the box, try Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity resale shops then pick up an oven thermometer to set the temperature (those calibrations on the oven thermostat are kind of like fairy tale numbers). I got my (slightly used) Black & Decker for $5 at Habitat store.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Bub
    I picked up my toaster oven at a habitat store, too. Only wish it were $5 though

After I bought it I saw one at a tag sale. Large countertop convection oven for $15, kicking myself for not grabbing it.

Boolit Master

I have the oven and powder now. Need to find air soft bbs.

Need to also find silicone baking mat I guess, I've heard son have aluminum foil sticking issues.

Does the powder cling to the lead real well, or does the lead need to be treated with something?

Right now I have some 158gr lrn ( lee tumble lube design ) I want to do, plus some .454 lead balls to try in Bp revolver. Later I want to try it on some gas checked 35 REM.

You can use parchment paper, prolly 6 - 8 times before it gets too brittle.

Boolit Master

Any sticking issues?

Boolit Bub
    I'm really new, but the foil worked great for me, no sticking. And as far as the powder clinging, it seems to be very dependent on a lot of factors including the powder, the type of container, how you shake/swirl..humidity etc

I read the stickies on this subject from end to end and it really helped. It almost seemed too easy thanks to all the lessons learned shared

Boolit Master

I've been trying to read up all I can. Friday morning is the test

Boolit Bub
    I've been trying to read up all I can. Friday morning is the test
    Good Luck!!

Boolit Master

Thanks, ill post back.

Boolit Master

Try Smoke4320 in the vendor section. He has quality powders proven to work well with our method, bb's and a link for step by step instructions. Plus he is a member here and it is always good to support your friends!
    Btw, try smokes clear, perfect coverage and super slick due to no pigment.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

I'm just getting into the PC testing phase, if I lil it, ill look at his materials, for testing though I'm going to just try local materials for ease , cost and time. Hoping my Friday test goes good.

Any sticking issues?
    No, none at all. It's much better than any foil I tried...that dang foil will tear off and stick to the bottoms and that lasted with me about one time even though I bought a roll of name brand foil! I put that in the wife's pantry.
    I started swiping the wife's parchment a little at a time, finally I just stole the entire roll from her...she never got wise to me either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast