MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 308 AR's and cast ?

308 AR's and cast ?

Any body shooting cast in their 308 AR's ? If so I'd appreciate any info you will offer
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    308 AR's shoot quite well, provided you feed then right and do your job. Mine likes the 30 Silhouette and a slowing burning surplus powder with a booster charge.

Thank you, tomorrow I plan to slug the chamber to get the throat's ID and go from there.

Boolit Bub

Small world I guess, I live in Navarre. I have been trying to get a paper patch load worked up for my LR 308 for a little while, but time, money, and the shortage of primers/powder have kind of been raining on my parade. For what it's worth my rifle seems to do pretty well with anything I put through it.

Boolit Buddy
    NOE 311299 and H414 (because I had 8 lbs) and magnum primer.

Please check BruceB M-1A article.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Gunor View Post
    NOE 311299 and H414 (because I had 8 lbs) and magnum primer.

Please check BruceB M-1A article.

Geoff
    That bullet is the one my M1A likes the best
    SOMEDUDE, LR ?? as in Long Range ? or a typo and should be AR. PP, you must be trying for 2200+ ?? With a 200 yd range limit I'm happy with the 311299 at 200 gn going 1800 +-, and when I need some frustration in my life I go back to trying to get the 311365 to group as well as the 311299.

Boolit Bub

LR 308 is DPMS name for an AR type 308 it is pretty much the same as SR 25, but is not actually AR 10 because that is Armalite and they are not quite the same. The biggest difference that I know of is that the parts wont interchange between them but they work the same. I shoot a Lee 309-180r for my patched rounds. I don't have a chrono but i'm looking to be clicking off 2400 to 2600ish fps. There is a pretty steep learning curve for pp ammo and I think I might have it now, but I haven't tested my new loads yet.

Boolit Master
    I don't have a 308 AR well sort of -300 Bkl Depending on your twist rate the Lee 155 sized down to .309" should to work very well. I run mine in both the 300 Blk an my '06 Rem 7400. The Rem is pushing them out at 2305 fps with 50 gr IMR 4350. The 300 Blk is runin about 1900 fps.

My lr308 carbine works fine with cast. I use a 165 with the 168 Amax profile minus the plastic nose.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I just got my 308 upper yesterday to complete my rifle. I plan on using the NOE 311299, but would like advice on suitable powders. I'm assuming M1A loads will get me close??
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Mold
    Everything I have read in my reloading manuals is calling for pistol powders at lower velocities even with gas checks. Isn't pushing (even gas checked) lead over 2000 FPS asking for leading issues?

Quote Originally Posted by kxrider View Post
    Everything I have read in my reloading manuals is calling for pistol powders at lower velocities even with gas checks. Isn't pushing (even gas checked) lead over 2000 FPS asking for leading issues?
    Here is a hint, all loading manuals but Lyman & RCBS & Accurate Arms Powder Co. are put out by J bullet makers. Now, yes fast pistol powders do work in single shot and bolt action rifles, but not auto loaders UNLESS you want to extract and load every round BY HAND.
    The bullet most listed above weighs around 200 Gn. with an alloy matched to the load, properly sized yes 2000 fps is due-able BUT a 200 gn bullet at 2000 fps ??? just how much fun can you stand

My 165 GC clocked 2200+ with H335 out of a carbine LR308,1:10. I've used 4895, varget, ARcomp as well. I think I'm pushing 2400+ now. 7 in 1" @ 100 but with some flyers. I think you will have trouble getting a 200 gr to fit. Had to rework the mag lips to get 170 SPP to feed. Don't think you want a bore rider or Cruise style. It is NOT an M1.
    Whatever!

There's no reason 311365 can't be made to work. I've had good results out of my Krag at a bit over 2000fps. 45 2.1 has one way, with the boosted slow burner, here's another way, since the capacity of the Krag is close to the .308. I'll admit though, I use a harder than normal alloy that casts about 23bhn, and further heat treat the bullets, since I'm only shooting paper. Group was shot at about 60yds, iron sights, sandbagged off the top of my car. I also use less lube, just a single dip in LLA thinned with Marvel Mystery Oil. Some alloys are near babbitt in hardness and self lubricity, and I don't think all the lube the grooves will hold is a necessity when using these hard alloys. No visible leading despite the minimal lubing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1236507dfa79d243d.jpg  
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson