Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cape Hatteras

Cape Hatteras

Hello Folks,

I took my boat to Cape Hatteras and fished the Gulf Stream for a few days. Here's the boat, with my friend Al. I've owned the boat since 1998 and have been all over the East Coast with it.

The primary target was mahi mahi, and we caught a lot of big ones. Here's a typical fish just coming into the boat.

We also caught a bunch of little blackfin tuna. They are one of the best eating fish ever!

This is my friend Bob with Al and some fish.

Here's me with Al and some more of the fish.

Take care, Tom
    Last edited by Tatume; 06-05-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Must have been some great meals afterward.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the pics Tom,
    Been going there for the past 8 yrs. in Oct.
    We stay just about across the street from that marina on Dunes Dr.
    Mostly fish the surf but have gone out of Teaches a few times.
    good times and good memories.
    Looks like you guys had a really good day of fishin.
    Mahi mahi are hard to beat too.

Boolit Master

tuna seared over a hot carcoal starter, yum.
    Is there any weed lines this far North? when I was in South FL we would catch Mahi around weeds or flotsam.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
    Last edited by Shooter; 06-05-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Add link
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Hi Mike,

Yes, the lines are out there. The sargassum was very thin this year. In the past I have seen very large patches, which always held fish. This year there were small patches about the size of a house door, but mostly it was broken up and scattered along the slick lines. Each day I fished a different depth and distance from shore, and there were slick lines everywhere I went.

The lines were there though. As you probably know, the lines are caused by water of different densities coming together. Sometimes the difference in density is caused by a small difference in temperature, and sometimes by a small difference in salinity. These differences result from water spinning off from the Gulf Stream. Pockets of air coming together can also cause slick lines, which will also accumulate sargassum.

The best fishing I found last week was on a slick line about 30 nm out, in 60 fathoms of water (360 ft). However, when we ran out of ballyhoo I turned back towards Hatteras Inlet, increased speed to about 10 knots, and left the lines in the water with artificial lures on. We continued to catch mahi and tuna all the way back, until we got into less than 100 feet of water. So, the fish were not concentrated in the slick lines, they were everywhere.

I love fishing Hatteras!

Take care, Tom

Boolit Grand Master

Tatume: good for you, that's what it's all about, enjoy life! Glad you posted that Scot
    Charter Member #148

Hello Folks,

It's Friday, May 23, 2014. Sunday I'm leaving again for my annual Gulf Stream fishing trip, taking the ICW from York River, Va. I'll probably fish Tuesday - Friday and bring the boat home on Saturday - Sunday. I'll be at Hatteras Landing Marina. Anybody here going to be down there?

Take care, Tom

Banned
    Some of the best fish I ever tasted came off a boat in Hatteras. Pretty much went from the boat, to grill, to my mouth in about 15 minutes !
    Looks like you folks had some good times.

Hi Petrol,

We always do. The photos are from last year, and I'll post photos from this year when I can. Right now it looks like we're going to delay at least one day. The forecast for Tuesday, the first day we could fish, is 15 - 20, seas 3 - 5 feet. That's a bit much for me, so we're hoping now to leave on Monday, and fish Wednesday - Saturday. Only time will tell.

Take care, Tom

Vendor Sponsor

I haven't ever went on a boat out of Hatteras, would certainly like to some day, but I do enjoy fishing in the surf there for Red Drum. It's funny, I never went and surf fished until recently but I have ALWAYS wanted to do so for years and years.

27" Red Drum, you can keep one fish per day and it must be between 18" and 27" in length. Had a H3LL of a good day fishing to catch this one!

Nov. 1st the water temps is still in the 70s so wading out into the surf lets me cast out farther which is where I caught the Red Drum.

Last edited by DougGuy; 11-02-2015 at 06:02 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Love the OBX. Was stationed down there many years ago and surf fished my brains out before the beaches started closing down. Great place!

Boolit Grand Master

I've been in NC for 8yrs now and still have not made it to the coast to try the fishing. Or diving for that matter. Work sucks!
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Perma-Banned
    Tatume, what a fishing trip! Looks a really good time!!