RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee good to go?

Lee good to go?

Howdy everyone. I am thinking about getting the Lee reloading kit ( http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-challenger-kit.html ) and I wondering if it is good to go? I have also thought about getting a RCBS kit but I cant afford it but I can the Lee kit. So is it good to go? Thank you in advance!
    Mickey Mouse School of Combat Graduate

Boolit Master
    All you need are a set of dies in each caliber. Maybe a digital scale if you have troubles with that one. A caliper and micrometer will also be needed

Boolit Master
    I was given the 50th Anniv. kit as a gift and it worked well, but the press and some of the smaller pieces are all I use much anymore. I never even hooked up the Safety Prime, but probably would have used the Autoprime in the kit you linked. The breech locks sit on my .25-06 dies because they are the only ones I don't ever fiddle with while one lock stays in the press for all other dies, and I would need a fortunes worth to fit all of the dies I need. The scale was slow to settle down, and the powder measure works pretty well.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Glad you are getting into reloading! I'll be honest,I was never impressed with the Challenger press from LEE! Does it work? Yes but theres better for LESS money if you buy used. You have 1000's of people here that will help you obtain older more solid equipment that will be able to be used by your grand kids if used properly.

All this to say on presses,older RCBS Jr's are excellent and available,Pacific presses, Herter's, ,these are all IRON stout presses that can be picked up very reasonable if looked for! Powder measures,RCBS, Seaco, Lyman 55,Redding,they are out there used and will last a lifetime. Scales,RCBS 505,Lyman,Redding,Hornady! All I'm saying is look at what you need make a list and you can get excellent older equipment for the same money and be happier down the road! Go to the WTB section and tell people what you are looking for and they will help!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Lady

This kit will definitely allow you to make good ammo. It won't be the fastest, but it's a good place to learn to reload. This particular kit includes equipment for priming by hand, rather than on the press. That's a choice you must make. Personally, I like the Lee priming system which mounts on the press, but a lot of fellows prefer to prime by hand. It's your choice. If you don't know which you prefer, you might consider finding someone who reloads already, and asking them to show you how they do it, and which method they prefer, and why.

I'm not sure what you mean by "is it good to go". If you mean "does this kit contain everything I need to start reloading?" the answer is no, not everything. You will also need these things:

(1) a set of reloading DIES for the caliber you intend to load, and (2) a reloading MANUAL. Or two. Personally, I would recommend the Hornaday manual because it is very good at explaining reloading, and you need to understand the basics. You don't need to buy the latest and greatest edition -- an older one will get you started just fine. But you definitely need to read it. More than once. I also like the Lee manual, second edition.

Then, after you get all that under your belt, you will need to decide which (3) BULLET you will use, and as this stand right now, that will probably depend quite a bit on which bullets are available. Then (4) which POWDER you will use, and for that, I would go to the powder manufacturer's website and download the recipes for the caliber and bullet type/weight you plan to use. Their website will contain the most up-to-date information available.

You will also need to find (5) PRIMERS. Follow the recommendations in the reloading manual and powder mfg websites for which primer to use for your chosen caliber/bullet/powder/reloading equipment. Not all primers are the same -- read and learn about them!

I think this covers most of the big pieces you will need. But personally, I would start with a reloading manual, and read it first. And then read it again. And read all the wealth of info in these forums -- and THEN buy the equipment. Probably save you some bucks in the long run.

Okay guys -- chime in here. What did I miss?

Pat

Boolit Master
    Check TITAN reloading or fs sales for prices on the cast presses. Much better and not a lot more money. You can update later if you need the breech-lock feature. Cry once and use it forever.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by khmer6 View Post
    All you need are a set of dies in each caliber. Maybe a digital scale if you have troubles with that one. A caliper and micrometer will also be needed
    Calipers and micrometers are nice to have as well as useful, but they are not absolutely essential to beginning reloading, nor is a digital scale. The Lee Safety Scale is frighteningly accurate, but is also a royal PITA. However, for a beginning reloader, that is a GOOD thing because it will certainly keep you from trying to go to fast and it will teach you patience and precision.

If I were going to invest in anything (other than dies) along with that kit, it would be in a kinetic bullet puller because as a beginning reloader, you're going to screw up some loaded rounds. Better to salvage components than to toss the entire round. A kinetic puller can be had for between ten and fifteen bucks retail.

Would STRONGLY advise a quality reloading manual and advise to NOT rely solely on internet information.

I do have the Hornady manual. Im mainly looking for a kit that will get me started but will last me a long time as well. I have thought about RCBS because I see there kits here locally a lot and some Hornady kits. Then I found out about Lee but since I don't know a whole lot about them, I was wondering if it will give me most of what I need and if it will last me for a long time.
    Mickey Mouse School of Combat Graduate

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    I do have the Hornady manual. Im mainly looking for a kit that will get me started but will last me a long time as well. I have thought about RCBS because I see there kits here locally a lot and some Hornady kits. Then I found out about Lee but since I don't know a whole lot about them, I was wondering if it will give me most of what I need and if it will last me for a long time.
    Hi,
    Jeez,yea, buy the LEE kit and 6 months from now come back and tell us how you like it and how long it lasted!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 50th anniversary kit - I have used it to reload 1000s of rounds of 9mm, 38 special, 7,62x54r, 6.5x55 and .223 - it works great - is slow (which is fine with me) and produces good ammo. You will need a bullet puller and I recommend a caliber. The scale is accurate - but also slow - I read the abc's of reloading, modern reloading and the lyman manual before starting.
    I also have breach locks bushings for each dies set - that way no need to redo all my settings when switching calibers.

Banned

That is a great place to start. There is good reason that Lee Precision is # 1. It is always good to have a single stage press available for dedicated tasks or load work-up. The Lee Precision Classic Turret would also be a good option, as you can use it in single stage mode or speed up with auto-index. Get "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. The Classic Cast or Classic cast Breech-Lock is also a good choice. But to start, you will not regret your purchase. You will read posts from Lee Precision haters with no specific info, just categorical critical statements, but if you go to Midway USA and read owner reviews/ratings, you will see if any prospective purchase is a good idea, even if you buy elsewhere. God Bless Richard Lee and Lee Precision for sponsoring this site and for being a great family owned, Made In the USA Company. Again, there is good reason Lee Precision is #1.

Vendor Sponsor

if you want it to last a long time but are crimped for money buy a used RCBS rock chucker, Hornady, or Lyman press they will last your lifetime.. Lee will not ..
    I have and use some lee equipment ie: Handheld Autoprime, molds, sizers and factory crimp dies so I am not hating on lee
    the lee press will work and will load good ammo but it will wear out .. the powder measure will go first.. the press next especally if loading larger caliber rifle cases..
    buy a GOOD powder measure and scale (do not go cheap here ) its your life and limbs you are risking ..
    Please take this advise from a handloader with over 35 years of experience.. I have seen more blown up guns and injurys from people who cut corners and have paid for it than I care to remember..
    done correctly its a safe and rewarding hobby..

Banned

"Please take this advise from a handloader with over 35 years of experience."

Please take this advise from a handloader with over 40 years experience, from Midway USA

Rock Chucker Supreme $153.99 4.2 stars based on 86 reviews

Lee Precision Challenger Breech Lock $66.99 4.7 Stars based on 53 reviews

Lee Precision Classic Cast $104.99 5.0 stars based on 100 reviews

Lee Precision Classic Cast Breech Lock $102.99 4.9 stars based on 20 reviews.

The highest rated single stage press is the Lee Classic Cast regardless of price. It will last as long as
    any of them and costs less. Here is link - read owner reviews/ratings and see for yourself.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=11522

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well, the OP wasn't talking about the Classis Cast IRON press he's looking at the Challenger Aluminum press! I have nothing against aluminum as long as there is plenty of it! Thats not the case with LEE! Here is a pic of my two aluminum presses!

An older Pacific iron press is cheaper and has already run for 40 years and ready to do 40 more! Anyone can spend their money anyway they want? I just hate to see guys buy what is to me a cheap press when there are so many better options for the same money??? The Classic Cast is to me an excellent press but has no soul and would not give me the satisfaction or PRIDE of ownership I get from a classic 1950's press! YMMV!
    Last edited by seagiant; 06-04-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Boolit Master
    The main thing is to get started, and the Lee kit will surely do that -- it did for me. However, after you become an experienced reloader, you'll discover some of its components' limitations.

Buy what you can afford, to start. Later, if you find that some of the equipment is lacking, you can step up to better.

Boolit Master
    Is it good to go? Sure. LOL. It's like your first dose of heroin. Once you get hooked on this hobby, you won't stop with Lee. You'll get hooked on the harder stuff like RCBS and Dillon. Just another smokeless powder junkie like the rest of us. Stick around for the fun. We'll be glad to help.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Love Life
    My uncle had a lee challenger press for 15 years. He gave it to me when I started reloading. I used it for 6 years until I pulled a bonehead move and broke it. Wasn't the presses fault, it was mine.

I understand the "buy once, cry once" idea, but sometimes money IS a large determining factor. As long as you don't try any case forming or anything dumb (trying to size a .458 boolit to .452 in 1 pass) the press will last.

The press will load safe, quality, accurate ammunition all day long. Use it to get used to reloading and if you feel the need to upgrade later then by all means do. It worked fine for FL sizing milsurp 308 brass, 8X57 brass, and 30-06.

However; I would take the lee scale and football punt it across the yard...

Boolit Buddy
    This kit is a good starting point. I started with the same many years ago. It has loaded many thousands of rounds. It still has a place on my bench next to my Dillon 550. It still gets used.

This kit will get you in the game. You will learn alot with it and you may eventually trade up.

Just place the scale on a different table from the press. That way you dont have to wait for the vibrations to settle prior to using it.

Boolit Master
    I go with his rating too!. My bench has four LEE presses. The Challenger was a starter press, a little on the weak side but gets the job done, the Classic Cast Breech lock and the Classic cast turrent presses are my work horses. My loadmaster STINKS.

My recommendations is not to get a kit, get either of the Classic Cast presses and you are good. I am not a big fan of their scale. I have used their perferct powder measure and even checked its accuracy, it's very accurate down to the last couple throws!.

Their primer tools work good for me also, except for the Loadmaster priming system.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    "Please take this advise from a handloader with over 35 years of experience."

Please take this advise from a handloader with over 40 years experience, from Midway USA

Rock Chucker Supreme $153.99 4.2 stars based on 86 reviews

Lee Precision Challenger Breech Lock $66.99 4.7 Stars based on 53 reviews

Lee Precision Classic Cast $104.99 5.0 stars based on 100 reviews

Lee Precision Classic Cast Breech Lock $102.99 4.9 stars based on 20 reviews.

The highest rated single stage press is the Lee Classic Cast regardless of price. It will last as long as
    any of them and costs less. Here is link - read owner reviews/ratings and see for yourself.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=11522

In Remembrance
    This little press has seen weekly use for over 25 years and has performed without so much as a hiccup. Earlier this year I replaced the linkage and handle as I still use the press for de-priming and priming operations as well as all push-through sizing and on occasion I use it to load up a small batch of 50 or so of the magnum handgun cartridges I shoot (I always do magnum cartridges single stage).

I know people who can tear up a crowbar and who wouldn't be able to follow the instructions on how to use an anvil. For those folks, neither Dillon nor Lee nor RCBS or Redding is for them as they'll tear them all up.

If you're hard and rough on equipment, then Lee isn't for you, but then again, neither is Dillon.

But as 462 and others have stated, the big thing is getting started. I still have almost all of the equipment I either inherited from my dad or that I bought myself from over four decades ago--and it all still works. You can always add to your bench as time and funds and space will allow, but for now, get started reloading.

The Lee kit will get you well into the game and for a comfortable price point. If you find that reloading is not for you, you're not out a lot of money and you can sell the equipment easily on Ebay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast