RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38/.357 Rifle-Revolver Combo As Ideal for the Prepper

I think way too many people think that in a large scale disaster/social collapse elk, moose, and cattle will be roaming city streets.

IMHO in the event of strife and disaster the most likely game animals would be rats, cats, dogs, opossum, squirrel etc. and if folks are going to hunt rats with a .308 they'd better bring a spatula.

Probably not the best for every situation, but I find it adequate for mine. My trio of .357's.

I think handbook nailed it!

If and when the SHTF I suspect large game will get very scarce very quickly unless you live in a state like Alaska where a herd can migrate into range.

Groundhog, rabbit and squirrel are going to be the mainstays. Most people don't really care for the thought of eating coon, possum, armadillo.

Raising rabbits would be a great source of protein, and would be quickly scalable if or when something happens.

Cattle require lots of space, lots of know how, and are highly visible targets of opportunity for anyone passing by.
    They are also inefficient compared to the smaller animals. They take much more grain per pound of meat.

Wild hogs will probably be the best source for meat. They are smart, adaptable and have spread throughout the continental USA.
    A sow can produce up to 20 piglets a year allowing for rapid expansion and replacement.

The combo listed above is fine, but really the only one truly needed out of that trio is the Rifle.

Pistols are for killing people and at short range. Me I'd rather keep strangers at least 50 yards out. After all if you can shoot them with a pistol, they can shoot you.

Now a good combo of Air Rifle, .22lr, and something like a SKS in 7.62x39 for killing larger game, that would be IMO more flexible, produce more meat for the table, quieter.