Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: luck

luck

well, i finally got a real lucky break. my wife wanted to go to garage sales, and since the weather was not very good, i went with her. we did not have a lot of money, but it was a way to kill a few hours till the kids got home. anyway, about 2/3rds of the way along, we stopped at 3 that were right next to each other. in the second one, there was a box, marked $5.00. it looked at first like old duct taped duck retrieving dummies like my late uncle used to train his retrievers. but one of them had little black specs taped to it. so i got to looking closer, and the guy came over and said it was lead shot, that had been in the bottom of his boat for 15-20 years. i figured there was a pretty good chance, that if it had gotten wet, it might not be much good. depending on how much water, and for how long. well, long story a little shorter, i bought the entire box (7 sacks) for $5.00. i ended up with 158 pounds of #5, 6, & 7 1/2 lead shot. every pellet was a nice shiny black, like the day it left the factory. my son has been after me to buy him some shot for months now, but money has been tight. so bringing this home, made me a hero, if only for a day! i am going to make HIM load the shells he wants to shoot. i do have a question about shot though. what, if anything do i need to do differently to melt some of this down, to make rifle boolits out of?
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Grand Master

Most shot is graphite coated. That's why it's such a shiny black. This coat insulates and contains the lead. The lead may melt and stay in the graphite until squished. It will take a lot more energy to melt bacause of the insulation provided by the graphite. Unless you have hard shot and need the tin it's probably more effective to load it and shoot it as shot than anything else.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Also, shot contains arsenic, which can be dangerous to work with.

Good score Wrench nice deal, I'm never so lucky
    μολών λαβέ

Banned

umm ww's contain arsenic.

the graphite coating can cause a mess when melted down but it's not impossible to deal with.
    however the alloy can vary considerably depending on shot type/size, and brand.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Also, shot contains arsenic, which can be dangerous to work with.
    So do most wheel weights and we all use those freely. It's no more dangerous than lead when it's alloyed like that.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Congrats, that was a lucky break! Good score!

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    livin' right brother now is the time to buy a lottery ticket...