MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I do this ammo buying stuff ....

Why do I do this ammo buying stuff ....

I must be addicted to ammo. I keep telling myself I'm not buying any more 7.62x39. i have a few boxes already that I probably won't shoot this year. I'm in Wally world on Wednesday and they have one 40 round box of Winchester 7.62x39 FMJ's. I tell myself I'm not buying them .... even thought I rarely see any good reloadable brass cased 7.62x39. My mind calculates that price is about $10 cheaper than midway and no shipping costs. So I leave empty handed.

Thursday I'm back in that Wally World and that box is still there ...... Sigh ... I stood there and stared at the ammo behind the glass for what seemed like an eternity ...like it was calling me to take it home. So I bought the dang thing. I don't need any and I bought it ... Sheesh .... It's like a chocolate lover unable to pass a candy place.
    Why do I do such things. Fortunately ...the shelf there is empty of ammo so the temptation is gone. That is the first box of usable ammo besides 30-06 at that wallyworld I have seen in 4 or 5 months.
    There is only one thing I cannot resist and that is temptation. I'm not buying anymore 7.62x39 !!!!
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    Last edited by Ohio Rusty; 06-01-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master

Boy, you'd better get it while you can, when you can!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    I know the feeling. It is funny, I was a Walmart a month ago and they had a few boxes of 7.62x39 in the case. I was tempted but not as much maybe because I have 5 or 6 hundred rounds on my shelf and components to reload more. I left it for someone else and it was gone the next time I was there. They also had .243 Win and that is still there but I have not bought any as I have plenty of components to reload that as well. I always go by the ammo case just to see what is there. I could use some .22 RF but the shelves are bare of that and pistol ammo.

Boolit Master
    If you bought 3 boxes that you didn't need it's different. Then you would have taken something that someone *might* have needed. But one box that sat there. No big deal. I do it occasionally too. We should start our own version of aa. Aba? Sounds a bit Swedish tho.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had the same affliction over the years. I'd buy a brick of .22, a couple boxes of .30-30 or a double handful of .223 just because it was cheap or in the case of .22 and .30-30 I couldn't recall if I had any on hand. I haven't had those urges recently but when shelves start filling up and prices return to normal I may have a relapse.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I do the same, but a week or two ago I saw some 7.62x39 and bought 3 boxes of em and I don't even shoot that! But I gotta admit a friend does and he sure was pleased when I gave it to him.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

ford it!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 09:03 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Bub
    Well 30-06 is at the LGS and I think I'll buy a few boxes while I can

Boolit Master at heavens range
    Its hard to walk away from something like that, I see bowling balls in the goodwill stores for$0.95
    I got a mortar to shoot them in but got 70 of them now.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    They have proposed a law in California and New Jersey to license ammunition buyers. They would have to pay a fee and have a background check just to purchase ammo or components. Get it while you still can.

California
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...,3187077.story

New Jersey
    http://www.politickernj.com/65972/se...un-safety-plan
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    If you only have a few boxes (not cases) ... You should be buying! I have a "few" cases ... Of surplus 7.62X39 ... But it is berdan primed ... Plus "some" Wolf SP ... Just got 500 boxer primed brass a month ago for shooting lead! To add to my "small" supply I had before ...

One of these days it may be restricted or taxed so high you can't afford it!
    It is that attitude that is driving the current shortage and high prices. If one day it is restricted or taxed so high I can't afford it, buying three boxes today won't have mattered. If I prowl around and buy everything I can find to build a giant stash, I am part of the problem. I am not going down that path.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    Its hard to walk away from something like that, I see bowling balls in the goodwill stores for$0.95
    I got a mortar to shoot them in but got 70 of them now.
    Are you serious? They are that cheap? I really need to go to goodwill

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by khmer6 View Post
    Are you serious? They are that cheap? I really need to go to goodwill

Yes, you do. I donate clothing and other items when I can. I cruise the shelves now and then and pick up some awesome books.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerd View Post
    Boy, you'd better get it while you can, when you can!
    Wise words.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    It is that attitude that is driving the current shortage and high prices. If one day it is restricted or taxed so high I can't afford it, buying three boxes today won't have mattered. If I prowl around and buy everything I can find to build a giant stash, I am part of the problem. I am not going down that path.

Tim
    I must respectfully disagree. If you have a gun of any kind and don't have a years supply of ammo for it on hand you had better be getting it, even if it is one or two boxes at a time. I have personally been in situations where the last 30 round mag I had on me made the difference between whether I lived or died, so yes even a single box of ammo may in the future make a difference.

On the other part of your statement concerning contributing to the shortage, I don't think events like in the above posts are contributing to the shortage. The shortage is caused by, "a civilian security force as well equipped as the military," ordering ammo, and the millions of new gun owners that have cropped up in the last half a year or so. I have been hitting up gun shops in a 60 mile radius, and I will tell you that here in MO many of them look like they have gone out of business. You will not find a single Milsurp gun on the shelves, or any semi autos. I never thought I would see a shortage of Remington 742's and 7400's and spare mags to feed them.

You won't find any 8x57, 30-06, 303Brit, or 7.62x54R ammo on the shelves either. People who are buying these old military rifles are buying every piece of ammo they can find for them. I am going to tread ever so slightly on the political side of things, and say that folks are scared and preparing for a fight. Yes I know that there is a few gougers out there trying to make a fast buck, but there are many many more common folks who see the writing on the wall and know that this house of cards that has been built over the last 50 years and especially the last 12 is about to come crashing down, it is virtually unavoidable now. People are scared and are preparing to defend what is theirs.

These are the reasons why we have shortages of ammo, and components. Prior to the end of 2012 ammo produces were running at nearly max capacity. Now throw in the government contracts and several million new gun owners and it is easy to understand why there is a shortage. The demand has well exceeded the supply chain. Many manufacturers are looking to expand, but with all of the new EPA regulations, over the last 5 years and the economic and political uncertainty they are scared to make a huge capitol investment, and I don't blame them.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

extinct!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 09:02 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

I used to (and still will, I'm sure) do that - buying stuff I didn't need right now. Only I did it with primers and rimfire ammo. Right before the stuff hit the fan this last time, I was in a local indoor range and they had Federal small pistol primers on the shelf. I just couldn't walk away and leave them all there. So, I just bought 1K (for 32 bux) which was a little high, but with no shipping and hazmat, it's easy arithmetic. I can't tell you how pleased I was with myself a week later, after the stuff hit the fan in Connecticut. I haven't bought a primer since, prior to Friday nite when I got some from Midsouth (Tula for 21 & change) per thou. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

There are a couple of things here:

First, the forces who wish to restrict and tax ammo don't personally care how much you buy right now. It could be free and available by the bucketload and they'd still want to keep YOU form getting any at all. Of course, they keep their mouths shut at the idea of Homeland Security buying up a few billion rounds.

Second, for years every time I went to Wal-Mart I went by the sporting goods and bought a single unit of whatever bulk pack of .22 they had on hand. I wasn't hoarding. I was just taking advantage of the idea that prices seldom go down, so if I bought it today at three cents a round, I'd have it when prices went to a nickle. I never imagined that you'd see generic .22 LR at the prices today.

I did the same with centerfire stuff. I never bought a gun without making sure I had at least 500 rounds of ammo for it. Today I have a pretty good stash. I also made sure that I have handloading components for the calibers I shoot most. It's painful to go to the range and shoot ammo that I bought for fifteen cents a round from CMP when a round-for-round replacement costs a buck, so I crank back the load, cast up some bullets, and get most of my range time in at that fifteen cents and 1200 FPS.

I remember the ammo buying surge at when the Clintons pushed through the assault weapons ban. One of the local talk radio stations opined about the amount of ammo being sold. A caller said, "You know, a guy buys a few thousand rounds of 7.62x39, he's probably not stocking up for squirrel season."

Lot of ammo out there, you know...

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master

I have not had a problem with my "ammo addiction" lately as there has been none to buy! And I have plenty of components to reload. But when the supply gets back to "normal", if it ever does, then I will stock up a little deeper than I have now. I have not/will not participate in the panic buying at inflated prices, but I will maintain a decent stock against future situations. This is not hoarding in my estimation, it's just common sense!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master
    I buy something each week but I have not yet sacked the complete supply when I find it. Yesterday, I picked up 1000 S&B Small pistol primers for $33.00. They had about 40 boxes. They had about the same of Federal Small Rifle and Tula Small Rifle. For the first time I saw Berdan primers for sale. I started buying a little extra right after the election as I knew the Democrats were only only looking for an excuse; I guess I didn't have to wait long. If I stop back in a week or two and they have stock I will buy again. I may spend more if I find some .22 LR, Unique or Win 231.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast