Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: First steps?

First steps?

Not ready to do this yet but have an interest in it and would like a suggestion or two for books or information on getting setup to start swaging. I load 45ACP, 9MM and what really got me thinking about this was the .223. So I would probably start with the .223.
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Buddy
    I think one of the best books you can find is going through the posts on this forum. There is a lot of knowledge here from those who have been in the game for a while, those who are skilled machinists who tool the dies, and those like me who are learning. Corbins has a good site with a lot of information too.

Boolit Buddy
    X2, I've been researching this for a couple of months and it's hard to find better info than here. Not saying it ain't out there. You can also do a google search on "swaging". There are a few youtube video's out there too. First time I saw it was a couple of years ago I ran across Ammosmiths video swaging .223's. Never got it out of my mind, and when components were hard to find I started researching again.

good luck,
    CC

Boolit Master

I hate to be a nit-picker, but . . .
    So many time I see bullet swagged referred as .223's when they should be called .224's. And when properly swagged they are .224's
    because they can also be used in many different other calibers that use .224 diameter bullets.

Time to get off the soap box.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    So many time I see bullet swagged referred as .223's when they should be called .224's. And when properly swagged they are .224's
    because they can also be used in many different other calibers that use .224 diameter bullets.

DITTO.

Naming that thing the .223 Remington was an unfortunate choice.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Glad I didn't say 556!! LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post

45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master

You just can't beat the combination of this forum, Corbin's (both of them) website (and downloadable pdf books), and related youtube videos, especially by those on this forum.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    gliden, some of us are a little anal retentive and OCD, but no worries... you gotta decide how much you want to get into this... if you just want to swage bullets as fast as possible with the fewest amount of sweat and hassles then ponie up to the table and lay down your cash and wait in line for 3 months to 3 years to get your swaging die system... nothing wrong wit dat... if you enjoy working with your hands and have some tooling/machinery, or are open to acquiring it, and you are not after 1/4 MOA at 1000 meters then you may want to consider making your own swaging dies... making the dies and shooting your own is more fun than you can have without a permit (Jeff in NZ is da man)...

as was mentioned, just start reading the archives, i believe there are 83 pages of them, took me a few weeks to read though them, loved every word of it, but they will probably answer any question you may have...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
    Not ready to do this yet but have an interest in it and would like a suggestion or two for books or information on getting setup to start swaging. I load 45ACP, 9MM and what really got me thinking about this was the .223. So I would probably start with the .223.
    Welcome aboard. I bought my swaging dies for .224 back in the mid 80's and then they stayed in storage for over two decades as I was off on other endeavors. Don't wait as long as I did; get the dies and jump in - the Water is Fine and there are a lot of Life Guards on this site should you need help.

Mustang