Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confession of a lesson learned

Boolit Grand Master

Confession of a lesson learned

I'd like to share a story with the membership in hopes it will keep others out of making the serious mistake I almost made.

Recently, I recieved a wonderful gift of a brand new chrony and posted about it. An overseas member sent me a PM that he had and would send me a small piece of bank window ballistic glass to place in front of the chrony so I wouldn't blow it up with an errant shot.

The glass arrived yesterday and I saw that the shipper paid good money to ship this. I was very impressed with his generosity toward me and wanted to return the favor if possible and told him this.

He expressed an interest in obtaining some Brownell's Belgian Bluing solution as it could not be imported into his country. Without thinking, I blurted out "Hey, no problem! I'm on it!"

I have a friend that has a commercial account with Brownell's. I wrote to him and asked if he could order the solution and drop ship it to me at his price and I would repay him. I would then package it really well and ship it to my overseas friend.

I received a very good education on why the solution is prohibited from overseas shipping. Not only is it extremely flammable, it creates a permanent stain. At 35,000 ft., the air pressure is low enough to possibly cause the container to rupture in the unpressurized cargo hold of an aircraft. Nevermind the stains it might create, the fire hazard is enough by itself to prohibit shipping this solution.

I had to write my overseas friend and apologize and beg forgiveness with a mouthful of 'crow'. I spoke without thinking and made myself look like a fool. I should have instantly understood why he said he couldn't get it in his country.

The moral of this story? Don't make a promise until you KNOW you can fulfill it. And don't even THINK about violating shipping laws, especially export laws.

I not only feel bad that I told my friend I'd do this for him and then had to renig, I feel stupid for not thinking this through first.

Stupid is as stupid does. I guess I need to heed the advice in my signature.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Don't sweat it ,you're probably the 1st guy to make a mistake like that in the last 10 minutes or so.

It's more likely customs would have caught it and impounded it than a transportation rupture.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Perma-Banned

Can you not ship it by boat and truck?

Glad you figured it out Jim. Thanks for sharing. We all learned something new today.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
    Can you not ship it by boat and truck?
    I would love to be able to figure out how to ship by boat and truck to ALASKA or HAWAII without breaking the bank. I have had cause to wish to ship primers and powder to both, but can not because of the expense. It would be cheaper to fly the friend with his guns to here and and reload for and shoot them to ship 1k primers to either.

I haven't looked into it, but shipping to Europe by surface surely would not be cheaper.

It is just not cost effective to ship less than a full connex box of stuff by surface.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    I just have my powder shipped to one of the barge outfits in seattle then they barge it to me fairly cheap. It's easy and not very expensive. Dennis
    Dennis Eugene "You know why no one panic buys 30-06? Because people who shoot 30-06 don't panic"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Eugene View Post
    I just have my powder shipped to one of the barge outfits in seattle then they barge it to me fairly cheap. It's easy and not very expensive. Dennis
    Care to share a name or website? Good service is always appreciated. I am in Washington a couple of times a year and could drop off what I need shipped.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master at heavens range
    This is off sub. somewhat, Got a shipping tag to return gun back to Kimber. Dropped it of at UPS yesterday, Got just going out the door, guy said whats in the box, I said a pistol, don't work, Then he had a bird, said it has to be opened up and toren down, I said no, I have shipped like this before and that's why its 2 day air on a pistol. Never opened up before, its alright, out the door I went, I figured it would be stopped by that weird 0, checked the shipping No. and its on it way out of this town. I have shipped to Canada and overseas and never no troubles by mail.Next time its a box of cheese. Joe
    Last edited by smokemjoe; 05-31-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use Aml ( Alaska Marine Lines. www.shipaml.com 1-800-950-4265) the other local one is Northland Services but don't know there web addy off hand. Dennis
    Dennis Eugene "You know why no one panic buys 30-06? Because people who shoot 30-06 don't panic"

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    It's more likely customs would have caught it and impounded it than a transportation rupture.
    It's unlikely it would have been stopped. Unless the description states flammable etc it would have gotten through. Customs couldn't catch a cold in my experience.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I once had Cabela's refusing to ship a stick of bowstring wax. That one had me scratching my head...
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

I can read it in the Floyd newspaper now....

Local man surrounded by FBI, NSA, Secret Service, CIA, Federal Marshals, and local and state police.

The house of Jim Connor was surrounded this morning by Swat teams of all branches of law enforcement. Jim Connor, age unknown, was arrested today for trying to ship a brown bottle of stain overseas.

Local customs came into receipt of unknown staining substance while doing a routine check of outgoing parcels.
    After alerting officials, federal and state agencies determined Jim Connor to be a hazardous and credible threat. With a warrant to proceed, all federal and state and local agencies, surrounded the residence of Jim and Janet Connor.

Expecting a violent criminal and possible shootout with authorities, federal officials, had F16 fighter covering the airspace while attack drones armed with missles, were flying overhead the residence.
    Jim and Janet Connor gave themselves up peacefully according to federal investigators.

Upon further investigations of the Connor residence, federal authorities discovered 2 boxes, they deemed credible evidence. Floyds eye on the sky,was told by investigators one box contained a large sum of mexican pesos, free and discounted meal tickets and clippings of local mexican restaurant robberies that have been happening in a 3 county area over the last few months.

The other box contained pieces of glass that federal authorities are doing forensics on. Local paper clippings with the glass, shows how the recent courthouse window shooter has police baffled.

Jim Connor is being held without bail at an undisclosed location, while Janet Connor and the cats and dogs in the house are being interrogated by federal officials at this time.

Boy Jim....you really know how to start a ruckus up...don't ya!!!!

Boolit Mold
    Mr Conner attempted to explain the souce of the problem as a mailing snafu and was was due to be released on his own recognisance til one of the Marshalls discovered a Replublican voting registration and correspondance addressed from the local tea party. Services will be conducted this Friday at the Shotwell Funeral Home

Boolit Master
    Not funny! my neighbor is from Africa and has lived next to me for 25 years. I look out and there is FBI,homeland security, highway patrol, sheriff dept throwing stuff out of the house. Well it was all over some coffee beans his sister shipped to him from Africa because it was his 50th birthday, they confiscated it arrested him and destroyed some furniture all over some coffee beans. Accused him of being a terrorist, and plotting to blow up the hospital he is employed at and has been for 30 years.
    Found out they were wrong, didn't apologies, or return his property, and didn't offer to pay for the damages.He has been a citizen of the USA for 30+ years
    Overzealous law enforcement.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

And the London Daily Mail headline: "Colonists sending Terror Packages Thru the Royal Mail"! "A terror attack by a colonial in the former colony of Virginia was foiled by Customs at Heathrow when a package containing an explosive material"...............and so on.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    We once threw a couple of watermelon's in the back floor board of our helicopter, Needless to say at about 1000 ft. these baby's started spraying watermelon juice all over us. Had the pilot drop down to 500ft. and we had cold watermelon the next day !

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Not funny! my neighbor is from Africa and has lived next to me for 25 years. I look out and there is FBI,homeland security, highway patrol, sheriff dept throwing stuff out of the house. Well it was all over some coffee beans his sister shipped to him from Africa because it was his 50th birthday, they confiscated it arrested him and destroyed some furniture all over some coffee beans. Accused him of being a terrorist, and plotting to blow up the hospital he is employed at and has been for 30 years.
    Found out they were wrong, didn't apologies, or return his property, and didn't offer to pay for the damages.He has been a citizen of the USA for 30+ years
    Overzealous law enforcement.

Odd. Read a story once about an airport dog alerting on coffee because smugglers use it to cover the smell of drugs. I'd sure like to see the affidavit used to secure that warrant.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Odd. Read a story once about an airport dog alerting on coffee because smugglers use it to cover the smell of drugs. I'd sure like to see the affidavit used to secure that warrant.
    You know the sad part of all this Tx is there is people and lots of them out in this world ,like I'm betting this guy from Africa is, whose just here to make the best out of his life, not here to hurt or kill people. But when authorities, do this to the good people, with no apologies or restitution of the destroyed item, it makes a person start to hate. This is one instance where the authorities need to investigate with care and not destroy personal belongings, because they were wrong.

[QUOTE=41 mag fan;2242210]I can read it in the Floyd newspaper now....

Local man surrounded by FBI, NSA, Secret Service, CIA, Federal Marshals, and local and state police.

The house of Jim Connor was surrounded this morning by Swat teams of all branches of law enforcement. Jim Connor, age unknown, was arrested today for trying to ship a brown bottle of stain overseas.

I don't know anything about this...honest...it isn't mine. I am innocent. they did find Mr. Bill trying to bury the evidence however. He is now being held as an accessory to the fact.
    what lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to while lies within us - emerson

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=scottiemom;2242763]
    Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    I can read it in the Floyd newspaper now....

I don't know anything about this...honest...it isn't mine. I am innocent. they did find Mr. Bill trying to bury the evidence however. He is now being held as an accessory to the fact.
    HAHAHAHA...good one Janet!! I knew that ole Jim was sneaky and training Mr. Bill to so some shady shananigans!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast