Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45 acp

Boolit Bub
    I finally got a chance to get to the range. I shot 100 total. I am thoroughly impressed. I crimped 50 to .470 and 50 to .469. I had no fail to feed with .469 and one fail to feed with .470. Again it had lube smeared on the outside of the case. Groupings were also impressive(for me). I was using 4.8gr of W231. I'm going to play with the load a little, but I think I'm almost there. Thanks for the help everyone.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    195gr, RCBS 45-201 converted hp, over 5.0gr of 231, sized to .452, lubed with Emmert's recipe, 1.216 OAL, roll crimp just enough to take out the bell from the expander.
    Done on my RCBS Turret press. I am not one either to go quantity. I enjoy each boolit made
    No leading. The barrel is if I have shot j words all day.
    3" @ 30 feet all day long. 2" if I take my time. I love this gun!
    I also load a 225gr RN version of this, but mostly the hp.

However..............I may consider A separate taper crimp per chargar's suggestion in post #14.

Attachment 72475 Attachment 72476
    If you look at the boolit standing between the two that are on their sides you will see a ring of lead that's because of crimping in the seating die in one operation! If you crimp in a separate operation you will eliminate this problem. Most people don't realize that Lee makes a taper crimping die (Not the fcd) that sells for about $10.00 that does the job of taper crimping just as well as a $25.00 redding TC die does. Before I got a dedicated taper crimping die I simply took the powder thru expanding die (which I wasn't using) and removed the expander and replaced it with the crimping ring from the FCD to make an adjustable taper crimping die that didn't size my boolits too. I added a Bulge Buster kit to the remaining FCD body and use it to pre-size any range brass I get that's been shot thru a glock or other gun that doesn't fully support the case. That gave me 2 working dies where before I had 2 dies I didn't use, all for the cost of the Bulge Buster kit.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Buddy
    true! the LFCD, narrows the bullets, I bought a taper crimp, for every pistol caliber I use and also for 7,62 x54.

vero ! il LFCD , restringe i proiettili , io ho comprato un taper crimp,per ogni calibro da pistola che uso e anche per il 7,62x54

I'll have to try a TC die.
    "Life's a lot simpler when you plow around the stumps". Richard Miller

Boolit Grand Master

In my experience, 80+% of the problems with failure to close on .45 ACP is no or inadequate TC. In the IPSC
    days, I used to TC down to .464 or so, my rule of thumb was to push 1/2 the thickness of the case mouth into
    the boolit. Nowdays I set to .471 max, and usually get a bit tighter than that, around .469-468 and just leave it.

A few thousandths too tight doesn't hurt, a few too big will cause occasional jams. You choose.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

When I first reloaded for myXDM, I was using Lee 230gr RN and had a few problems because I tried to go by the recommended 'OAL'. I experimented with shorter 'OAL' and cured the problem. I then ventured into the land of Semi Wad Cutter boolits. I started by seating them to where they would cycle the gun nicely and measured that bunch of Boolits (5 at a time). Set the seating die there and have been happy ever since. I taper crimp them to .469/.470 and use a case gauge to check them now and again. Every gun is a little different in what they like and don't like, so just work with it till you and your gun are happy. One of the previous posts mentioning setting the seating die to match a factory round, and that is a good place to start. Another thing; look at the boolits before you put them in the casing during the process, if needed wipe off excess lube, keep the die as clean as possible. I remove mine from the press and clean it well about every 700 to 800 rounds.

Boolit Grand Master

I just made up some 175 lswc boolits. TC to .472 with OAL at 2.22. Using this with 5.5gr w231. These cycle my Kahr CW45 nice and feed fine but I do have a question.

I notice that at this OAL the case mouth is over the driving band and up on the shoulder a little so the boolit looks recessed into the case. Is there any downside to this?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123