Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Using my Lee Pro 1000 to process 300 BLK

Banned

Using my Lee Pro 1000 to process 300 BLK

I have been converting 223 cases into 300 Blackout and I was struck with the enormity of time that is consumed. Cutting each case, then lubing and forming each case, then trimming each case, then chamfer and debur, then primer crimp swage, then the tumbler, then anneal each case.

The tumbler is the only step that I don't have to handle each case. Each step runs about an hour to do 300 to 500 cases dependent on intteruptions and my brain functioning well.

I windered if there was some way that I could use my Lee Pro 1000 to combine steps. I have been waiting for the Lee Quick Trim to be available since I first saw it in a Lee teaser video two years ago. They hit the market in January and I got my hands on the deluxe cutter a couple of weeks ago. It trims, chamfers, and deburrs at the same time. But there are two problems. 1. it is hand crank and not adapter is available for a drill, 2 there isn't any die available for 300 AAC. I solved the first problem by fitting a 1/2 inch socket into the cavity at the top of the crank, epoxied it into place, and plugged in a socket drive adapter. I took off the black plastic crank so that it wouldn't be spinning around with the cutter and possibly whack my knuckles. The second problem was more elegant. I ordered a 357 quick trim die. It trims 300 AAC to about 1.290, which is obviously too short. I just experimented with several washers that fit on top of the trim die with the cutter shaft in the washer hole. I was able to find a washer that without modification made the cutter trim 300 AAC to 1.358. The 357 die has a collet on the base that when the shell plate contacts it, it closes and puts a firm grasp on the 300 AAC case, keeping it from spinning as the cutter turns.

I put that contraption in the number two position of the Lee Pro 1000. The number 1 slot is the forming die. Now, after cutting the 223 cases, I tumble lube them and drop them into the case feeder tubes. I pull the handle, that loads the case, and sizes the brass, and on the next pull, it loads a case, sizes a case, and puts a case into the trim die. I squeeze the trigger on my electric drill for about 4 seconds and that trims the case to 1.358 and chamfers and deburrs. Now every pull handles what was three separate steps.

I was thinking I could modify the primer seater on my 223 Lee Pro 1000 carrier to act as a primer pocket swager, kinda shaped like the swager rod on the RCBS primer pocket swager. But that will have to wait until I get a lathe. For now, I am super happy with this new set up.
    I will post pictures later.

Ken

Boolit Master

It sounds like you are well on your way to processing a barrel of cases. That's what I call smart thinking!!

In Remembrance
    I thought of all different ways to make that brass and came to the conclusion that I would either need to invest in a Dillon 1050 press dedicated for the job which costs big $. OR......Make due with what I have and be happy with it. The way I do it it's geared more towards being in control of the processes which makes the production part lack a bit but......out of all the brass I made that's out there that I've done I never had a complaint.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    Pictures are worth a 1000 words!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Sounds inventive and creative. Glad it works.
    regards,

I agree with Grumpa - I'd love to have a 1050, but I have a 650 and it's good to go. OP - Sometimes you just go with what ya got, make modifications that improve it, and call it good. PIcs would be good.
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." - Doug Patton

Brad at bradswarehouse.com sells a trim die for the dillon power trimmer that I THINK will fit a 550 or 650. You could do the same thing on the dillon.

I've been buying brass from him but the trimmer looks like a neat setup.
    Copper75

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Boolit Mold
    357 Magnum or 357 H&H???

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Copper75 View Post
    Brad at bradswarehouse.com sells a trim die for the dillon power trimmer that I THINK will fit a 550 or 650. You could do the same thing on the dillon.

I've been buying brass from him but the trimmer looks like a neat setup.
    Dillon. Will void the warranty on Dillon trimmer if you use it to do 300 bo
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Dillon. Will void the warranty on Dillon trimmer if you use it to do 300 bo
    Really not a big deal I've done right on 35K of them trimmed from a full length .223 case and have also processed about the same in just .223 cases, if trimmer died tomorrow it's way more then paid for it's self. I did buy a spare set of bearings for $3.50 but haven't seen the need to replace them yet