Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Open Carry

Boolit Master

Hmmm I guess times have changed.I thought you had to be 21 to buy a pistol when did it change?

Boolit Master
    21 to purchase 18 to carry in some states. It's all kooky and fine lines.

Boolit Master
    Arisaka99, Chris, I admire you for your decision to exercise your God given right to carry a firearm. I support you 100%. I have a CC permit in TN, however, my boss won't allow me to carry in our Veteran's Store. Many a veteran has come into our store carrying openly and some concealed. The first time I saw an open carry guy, I asked to see his weapon. I'm always interested in what others carry for their own protection. Most of them show me their weapon after unloading it. And I get to see some unusual guns carried in many different ways.

Now mind you, I have only had to shoot one person in my life and that was foiling a home invasion attempt. I blew a bad guy's thumb off with my .45 1911. The cops confiscated my .45 and kept it for about 6 months and finally after the case was resolved they called me to come get my gun. I went to the police station to claim my .45. However, they kept 2 mags worth of ammo and when I asked for my rounds they told me they couldn't give them back. I told them that they just wanted some free ammo to practice with and they all laughed at me.

When the detective asked if I had another gun, I told him that I had another .45 Colt. The lead detective told me that if the bad guys came back for revenge, I had their permission to kill 'em. Worked for me. If I had pressed charges against the thugs then my case would have gone to court and I may or may not have been charged. This was before TN enacted the stand your ground law. The guy whose thumb was sewn back on kept calling the lead detective and trying to have me locked up. She told him he was crazy and if they ever came back to my place I had permission to kill them. Now we have the stand your ground law in place and I have every legal right to protect me, my family (including 6 dogs) and my property.

Since the incident we have installed security cameras and we believe the scum bags came back and drove up our driveway until they saw the cameras and backed down the driveway. Just remember, you cannot take the bullet back. Just be sure before you pull the trigger. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Grand Master
    I once ask a friend (he's a state sheriff) if he supports CCW.
    He said he had no problem with open carry, but didn't like concealed carry.
    I asked him why.
    He said, "with concealed carry, I wouldn't know who is carrying"
    When I asked him "what about you???"
    He said "I'm law enforcement, I don't want them to know I'm carrying."
    I told him "isn't that the whole point of concealed carry???"
    He said for "law enforcement yes, but not for privet citizens"
    Good guy, but not to smart.

Boolit Master

Think about it this way, criminals like soft targets, open carriers look like hard targets, no question, they ARE armed. Concealed carriers look like soft targets, does anyone really believe they can be 100% confident in drawing a concealed handgun before the bad guy pulls the trigger? It is like the anti's argument about a gun in a home is more likely to be used against a home owner, that statistic is only relevant when you leave out the times the gun is never fired, deterrent.

Some of the "cow towns" of the old west, such as Wichita and Dodge City, also had their own versions of gun control; the "dead-line." Cross that line carrying a gun and you could wind up dead. It was a "reasonable" reaction to groups of young men, sometimes no more than boys, who, after spending months of sleeping on the ground, eating lousy food, doing hard work, with low pay, no women, little sleep, and hours of sitting in a saddle on a horse who tried every morning to disembark them, tended to want to party, and in a serious way. As we all know, if you combine young men with booze/drugs and guns, sometimes someone ends up with up with more holes in their bodies than the good Lord intended. A prime example of this can still be found in Bodie California, (...) ceiling of the saloon still show the holes put there by miners, gamblers, and gun fighters. At the same time, burglary and rape were almost unheard of in the old west. A man trying to rape a woman in an alley was apt to find him-self staring down the gun barrels of the townsmen. The shoot-out at the OK corral took place because the Earp brothers, along with John "Doc" Holliday, wanted to disarm the Clanton gang (sic. so they said).
    Also note that most rural people did NOT have a gun handy. In the house or in the wagon when working.
    Grampa carried a 38 in his trousers pocket when rounding up the drunks on the weekend. Other than Quantrell, there weren't many 'drive-by' shootings. IMHO, carrying WHEN needed (or appropriate?) works, otherwise it's just 'in your face' attitude. No I am NOT against carry, but would have to be around those who just want to.
    Whatever!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Open Carry "Scares the Natives"

A man who falsely reportedthat a handgun open carrier had robbed a 7-Eleven in Virginia in underinvestigation for suspicion of filing a false police report, according toFairfax County Police. On October 15, Robert Dickens was “SWATted” as stoppedat the convenience store to purchase a cup of coffee. The man beinginvestigated for SWATting Mr. Dickens has yet not been named. Bearing Armspreviously detailed [second link] his encounter with the six Fairfax Countypolice officers dispatched to handle the falsely reported “armed robbery.”...He may be charged for falsely summoning or giving false reports tolaw-enforcement officials, a class one misdemeanor that carries the possibilityof a year in prison and up to a $2,500 fine, or both. It is unknown at thistime if other charges may apply. In Ohio, officials have still not chargedRonald Ritchie for filing a false police report, even after Walmart securityvideo matched up to his 911 call shows that he grossly misrepresented theactions of John Crawford III, leading to the deaths of Crawford and AngelaWilliams... (There may be times and places for open carry but those who chooseit should be aware that they expose themselves to this sort of action. Further,if your gun is exposed, a false accuser may be able to describe it but, if hetells police that you threatened him with a Glock and your discreetly carried firearmturns out to be a “silver-colored” revolver, he'll be the one behind the eightball.)
    http://bearingarms.com/fairfax-count...investigation/
    http://bearingarms.com/virginia-open...-control-loon/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456