Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What scope for dependable repeatable clicks without sticker shock

Boolit Master
    Dan,
    Check out this thread:
    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...le_A_discussio

Formidilosus, the poster really knows his stuff as teaching LR hunting is what he does for a living..

Link to SWFA info:
    http://www.bing.com/search?setmkt=en...s+Super+Sniper

They don't export or I would be running their scopes for LR exclusively..

What are you running for a range finder?

Boolit Master
    Ill start by saying I feel at home passed 500 yards and shoot 1750 often. I have had several scopes intended for long range shooting and now only have a handful. I just traded the Millett I had, at the top end of the adjustment range the turrets were spongy, it returned to zero ok, the clarity was awful over 20 power, the mildots were ok seems bigger than normal at all power ranges, the scope in general was just huge to much for a predator rifle in my opinion. I traded it for a Parker Hale 30-06 and am glad I don't have to look through that scope again.

I currently have a VX3 8.5-25x50 30mm Leupold with the varmint reticle and love it, with the 95 MOA of internal adjustment I have the scope sitting on a 50MOA base and almost have a bottomed out zero which allows adjustment to close to 2000 yards. But that is double your budget.

The other Leupold I have is a 6-18x40 1" VX-II, great scope I have used it on several different rifles and made hits on p-dogs over 700 yards. Down side is it has a Target Dot reticle and can be lost if the sun isn't in your favor, its going back to Leupold to be switched out soon.

I also have the Bushnell 10x scope and use it on a lot of different rifles from AR's to Bolt guns, I have shot it out to 800 yards on rocks and steel, and really like this scope for the price. I use it on coyote rifles and generally hold over with the mildots. For the price heck yes this is a good scope.

I had a Burris Signature 8-32x and was very happy with it until I looked through a VX3 Leupold. Only Burris I have now sits on my 6mm AI and is used for shooting varmints and targets, it doesn't have target turrets so I zeroed at 200 yards and leave it alone.

I run target turrets on all my long range scope, holding over with a standard reticle is a thing of the passed.

Picatinny rails and quality rings are the way to go. 3 scopes will service all of your shooting needs and in the long run I feel it is cheaper. 3-9x for big game hunting, 6-18x for varmints and predators, 8.5-25x for long range and varmints. Grab a rifle from the safe a scope off the shelf put it on take a couple shots and zero it and go do what you want to do. I am slowly putting picatinny rails on all my rifles and selling off or trading the scopes that aren't in detachable rings or have a specific rifle they sit on full time.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    millet lrs
    +1
    Holds up well to 300WBY, not too great for 50BMG, but then again not much can

Boolit Master
    Nrut
    Thanks for that link. That was an informative discussion.
    dk17hmr
    Thanks for your input as well. I have much to consider.
    IKsmith
    How many rounds with the 300 wby under it?

Love Life
    Tough call in the scope world. dk17HMR threw out some good options. I also agree that dialing your adjustments is much preferred to holdover. Well, for me it is as that is how I shoot.

The votex 2.5-10X32 FFP looks legit, but is a bit above your budget. FFP is not required if you know what the substentions are at each magnification range.

If you get a scope with target/tactical turrets, see if you can find one with a zero stop, and take a hard look at the turrets before purchasing. A well thought out turret will prevent you from getting lost in your adjustments.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Nrut
    Thanks for that link. That was an informative discussion.
    dk17hmr
    Thanks for your input as well. I have much to consider.
    IKsmith
    How many rounds with the 300 wby under it?
    Couple hundred so far of 300WBY, and it stood up to about 100rds of 50BMG

I've been following this post with great interest as I'm scope shopping also. Has anyone tried the Burris Eliminator series of LaserScopes ? It seems like it would be handy to have a scope with a built in Rangefinding system. I've had good luck with burris 's pistol scopes on my contenders. But now I'm looking to set up for coyote hunting also . I haven't bought a new scope for a rifle for several years and there is a lot to choose from . Thank you BullShop for starting this thread and I'm not trying to Hi-Jack it. Just like to keep it going . I've never been a fan of Bushnell but one of my friends swear 's by them so I'll take another look at them. The VX3 8.5-25x50 30mm Leupold cost around a Thousand Bucks . Midway has the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte on sale for $200. A lot of Choices out there.

Boolit Master
    Bullshop, check out these fixed 10X scopes by SWFA.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx

Boolit Master
    I have considered the Eliminator or others laser scopes but cant get over the fear of mating the two in that if one part goes bad you have neither scope nor laser.
    I feel the same way about illuminated reticule. It seems like extra bulk that will eventually quit and you are always stuck with the bulk.
    I feel no need for it.
    I have been looking at the little Bushnell 10x40 mil-mil but cant help to wonder how much long range error is permanently built in without parallax adjustment. I don't know I just wonder.
    I am thinking that at some point I will try one (Bushnell 10x40) for an early season rifle. In my experience in coyote hunting for profit there are two seasons early and late. Early season, calling season when there is still a lot of cover usually has shots from very close to maybe 300 yards. Late season when the snow is down and the cover is gone and hunting is more glassing than calling shot can be anywhere to as far as you can shoot. The longest I have taken in late season was right at 900 yards and seldom less than 300.
    There is also a little hunter trick I use if I feel for some reason there is little chance of a hit at long range. I deliberately drop a bullet on the far side of the coyote. The sound of bullet impact is there before the sound of the shot so the usual response is that the coyote will run toward you and away from the sound of the bullet impact. They will generally run 200 to 300 yards toward you then stop and look back at where they were. At that point you may well have a very good shot because your already set up and it is much closer.
    My wife checked my account yesterday at the NAFA site and even though my fur is not sold yet all were graded high. I may be able to afford more scope than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    +1
    Holds up well to 300WBY, not too great for 50BMG, but then again not much can
    That's weird. There was a guy on another forum that used them on their 50's and said they did great. Is it having a problem with the recoil? What kind of rifle was it that you were shooting?
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Master
    Doc
    Thanks for that link. I think the 10x42 M tactical may be exactly what I was looking for and well within my price range.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    That's weird. There was a guy on another forum that used them on their 50's and said they did great. Is it having a problem with the recoil? What kind of rifle was it that you were shooting?
    the recoil isn't what kills a scope when on a 50, it's the "reverse recoil" caused by the muzzle brake which makes it possible to shoot a 50 without the chance of detached retinas, broken shoulder, broken collar bone, broken nose, etc.
    on a typical 50BMG with brake you have about 540 G's (not grams) going toward the shooter and then about 520 G's away from the shooter in a millisecond or two essentially subjecting it to a kinetic bullet puller on steroids.
    Mine is a fairly light 50 in that it weight between 25 and 30lbs depending on the scope and if I have lead in the buttstock or not.
    The recoil is about like shooting a 12ga pump with duck loads when freehanding it, and about like a semi-auto 20ga when prone or seated.

Boolit Master

Dumb question. Where is the force coming from that pushes the gun forward with 96% of the force of the bullet kinetic energy?

Boolit Bub
    I've got to throw my hat in the ring for Burris. I've got two of the 3x9 fullfields, one shotgun scope and one 32x on a swift and love them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Dumb question. Where is the force coming from that pushes the gun forward with 96% of the force of the bullet kinetic energy?
    The muzzlebrake re-directs the muzzle gases at about a 45 degree angle, acting like a jet "pulling the gun forward."
    the calculated recoil for my gun is 100-130ft.lbs. which is close to the muzzle energy of a factory loaded 38spcl Snub nose (remington 130GR FMJ has ME of ~132 ft lb from a 2"bbl @ 678fps)
    Last edited by lksmith; 05-29-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Boolit Master

so, you are saying that a muzzle brake that doesn't direct all, but merely a portion of the gas, evenly split between back and to the side (aka 45 degrees) is going to somehow propel the gun forward with 96% of the rearward force?

Boolit Grand Master

The Weaver T series scopes tracked very well. I don't know about this one but the price is right - $299.99

Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598...-reticle-matte

Boolit Master
    M-Tecs
    I have an old Texas Weaver T-20 but it is not the scope for field use. It is very long so maybe susceptible to damage and the adjustable objective is too slow for field use.
    All I have read on the current Weaver Grand Slam is good and they are certainly in my consideration.

Boolit Master
    Another question
    On the SWFA model and others with rear focus is it just for focus or is it also for parallax?
    Rear focus seem a little less expensive and less bulky.

Boolit Mold
    Redfield. Owned by Leupold. Very good glass, holds zero fantastically well, solid "click". Well under $500 for most (maybe all) of their models.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast