Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Lyman 20 ga sabot slugs - anyone cast these ?

Banned

Lyman 20 ga sabot slugs - anyone cast these ?

Trying to find someone who casts the Lyman sabot slug in 20 gauge. Does anyone here cast these ?

I see a lot of guys casting the 12 gauge version, but, I'm looking for some info on the 20 gauge.

Banned
    Hello Dodgem, the 20 ga ones are not very good design wise, a bit too long for a in wad slug but 20 ga is a Golden gauge and the possibilities are endless and very deadly and accurate.

Want to see my babies:

I bought my first 20 ga in June last year and I fell in love with it and its now known as my Big Bore Rifle!

Best regards,
    Ajay
    BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
    Blazing Sabots, LLC
    www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
    www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...75489969155338

Banned
    I am currently using two different versions of the 58 cal, Modern and Improved, bullets. However the issue with the Commander wads is the fact that when you press the slug into the Commander wads they get a wide girth in the hull from the rim in the base of the wad. HOWEVER... Now that I see your filler with the 28 gauge card I think my issues are solved. Lots easier than filling that gap with glue. Thanks. Now to find some 28 gauge cards...

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I been casting that mold too. Haven't had a chance to load up rounds as yet. I'll be watching this thread close. There is a LEE mold I want to try also.

Banned
    Good morning, try calling Circle Fly and get your 28 gauge nitro cards as you pay less than half for them!
    The nitro cards are a blessing in disguise as it will help fit a lot of slugs in wad that otherwise will not, here take a look!

by just adding a nitro card raised the slug for a good fit:

reason being the wad's petals are a bit tapered at the bottom!

Hoping it helps, have a wonderful day!
    Being able to help, makes me feel useful!

Best regards,
    Ajay
    BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
    Blazing Sabots, LLC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VdoMemorie View Post
    Good morning, try calling Circle Fly and get your 28 gauge nitro cards as you pay less than half for them!
    Yeah I tried that, but, I am not paying $9.00 shipping for $6.00 worth of product.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Yeah, I been casting that mold too. Haven't had a chance to load up rounds as yet. I'll be watching this thread close. There is a LEE mold I want to try also.
    I cast the Lee 575-470-M - my answer to the no longer manufactured Remington Buckhammer 20 gauge slug. I also cast the Lee 575-472-M, which was my first attempt at a BuckHammer result. I later found the first mentioned mold. Much better design. However, you must use the BPI Commander wads with these bullets, otherwise, the standard 20 Ga shot wad is too narrow at the base and it bulges the side of the hull when you seat a bullet in below the integral rim at the base of the Commander cups. The .28 Ga. overshot cards is the answer to the issue in order to keep the base of the bullet from slipping in to that ring which produces the hull bulge. Now, I just need to find a hundred or so of the 28 overshot cards. I don't paper-punch, this is strictly for Deer hunting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20 GAUGE SLUG DIAGRAM.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	71807
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02513.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	71806
    Last edited by DODGEM250; 05-28-2013 at 10:01 AM.

I made up a 20ga slug load using a Lyman 54cal. Max black powder bullet, and load them in rem gun club 2 3/4 hull at 50yrds I have a 3in group shooting them out a single shot, beaded sight

Banned
    Hello TX Shotgun, I do not want to be rude but, we like to see proof in pictures, please back up your claim with pictures and describe your load too, you said:
    " 20ga slug load using a Lyman 54cal. Max black powder bullet, and load them in rem gun club 2 3/4 hull at 50yrds I have a 3in group shooting them out a single shot, beaded sight "

Are you sure Beaded sight!
    We only buy Ham here.

Best regards,
    Ajay
    BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
    Blazing Sabots, LLC

Thumbs up

Attachment 72316
    20ga slug
    Maxxy ball 410gr cast
    Powder- Alliant 20/28 17.3gr
    Primer- Cheddite 209
    Wad- Clay Buster 1078 20ga
    Hull- Rem. ShurShot

Sorry got my hulls mixed up I use ShurShot not GunClub. I will have to get to the range to shoot target and put up pics. later. "LOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  

I cast and shoot the Lyman 20ga Sabots regularly. As has been mentioned here already, they are unfortunately a bit too tall to fit in a regular hull, you need the extra large 3". I've experimented with trying to 'trim' the base of them just enough to make them fit a conventional length hull but so far my efforts have proven to be more work than they're worth. I just pay for the larger hulls. They're wicked accurate though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TX.shotgun01 View Post
    I made up a 20ga slug load using a Lyman 54cal. Max black powder bullet, and load them in rem gun club 2 3/4 hull at 50yrds I have a 3in group shooting them out a single shot, beaded sight
    you mean 58 cal?

nope 54cal my friend has the mould and I made some to try out and they worked so I loaded 125 rounds of them

I can tell you that unlike the 12ga. version of the Lyman wad-slug the 20ga. version is not stable when fired from a smooth bore gun without rifling spin - rifled barrel only for the 20ga. version where as its big brother for the 12ga. works for both rifled and smooth bore slug guns.

Banned
    Indeed fun to load 20 ga. Read carefully and enjoy.
    These older post sure bring back memory from the good old day when powder was in ample supply and $14.99 a lb.

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots