RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting the 200gr. Lyman#311299 at longer ranges in a .308.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Good luck with it Johnny Boy.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    We have a 900 yard range next to ours, but they are hard to get along with. They only shoot prone (and actually got the range license changed so that prone is the only allowed position, preventing others from using it. They don't like people doing anything except shooting the two details of 2 sighters and 10 scoring shots at the particular distance range they are shooting for the day. They are so hard to get along with, their members come to my range to run barrels in, work out loads, etc. Nearly all 'long range' shooting ranges in Australia are controlled by these clowns and they all seem to make it difficult to shoot anything other then their set match.
    I'm glade it's not just me,I've always found the long range guys to be nothing more than *****,many changed the rules to block F class shooters too,the ranges that didn't are thriving,and the old guard wonder why ''thier'' sport is dying out. Pat
    Last edited by oneokie; 06-29-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: language

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    I am one of those clowns,not from that club though,if you made the effort to join the club,along with a couple of mates,you would find a way to get along.
    Mike.
    Mike,I've tried at two clubs.I tried to get a Military shoot going at both and had a trial day at one,22 shooters turned up with some excellent ex mil rifles,22 against 6 and the 6 got scared and told us not to come back.You guys deserve your fate. Pat

Boolit Man
    Pat
    I belong to both the organisations being referred to,as I see it there are faults on both sides,in my opinion it would be better off as one group.For interests sake I shot Service Rifle for years,now shoot Match Rifle,FTR and F/class as well as attend the local SSAA range about every month.
    Mike.

Boolit Master
    Just waiting for my days off!
    I want to go shooting sooo bad!

Boolit Master
    Nobody else shooting long range with cast?
    Come on guys, I'm sure there are a few. Its fun! Give it a try. Its
    Not as hard as some shooters think.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthunter View Post
    I enjoy longrange shooting. But around here its not easy to get past 200yds without driving a good ways (2hrs plus one way) or paying AND driving to the range.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    I plan on zeroing my newly mounted scope on my GSR with my current cast boolit. After everything is zeroed (and goes as planned) I will carry it to a 400yd range (as a guest) thats 2hrs away. I plan on carrying several rifles at that time also if I am going to drive that far to shoot.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

that load of 46 grains of IMR4831,,,,,seems like it would be a compressed load in a .308 case with a 200 gr boolit....I mean that much powder has to just about fill the case.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    IMR4831 id similar to 4350 isn't it? That would be full or compressed I'm thinking which would work well.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

4350 is slightly faster than 4831....and I KNOW the a full charge of 4350 is a compressed load....so based on that I think it follows that the 4831 would also be compressed.....
    I've used alot of 4831 in the 30-06 case which has alot more volume capacity than the .308 case.....for the .308 I go to the 4350
    for .303 British I find the 4831 works really well but again that case has more volume capacity then the .308 case, and even so my .303 loads are compressed when using 4831

my old speer manual give 46 grains of 4831 at the starting load for a 200 gr Jacketed bullet
    atr
    Last edited by atr; 07-09-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: speer manual

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    IMR4831 id similar to 4350 isn't it? That would be full or compressed I'm thinking which would work well.
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    that load of 46 grains of IMR4831,,,,,seems like it would be a compressed load in a .308 case with a 200 gr boolit....I mean that much powder has to just about fill the case.
    Hi Atr!

This boolit is seated only about 3/4 of the neck deep. Because I have seated it to engrave the rifling. The powder comes up to the bottom of the neck. About .1 of an inch room between the base of the boolet and the top of the powder.
    In my Remington, neck sized cases, the charge does not become compressed untill 47.0 grains is used. This slow powder in this case seems ideal for this use. A softer, more gradual combustion (relatively speaking to IMR4350).
    IMR 4350 worked well for me, but the perfect balance of load density/velocity/pressure/accuracy, was achieved by IMR4831.

This is the case for "MY" rifle, but other rifles with different manufacturing tolerances/loading techniques may yield different results.

Boolit Master
    I got a NOE 311299 mold in the mail today to try in my GSR .308. Hope to get some casted this weekend and shot in a couple of weeks.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Just entered the order for my NOE 311299. Probably will be a couple of weeks before I get out to the range. Looking forward to the change from the Nosler and SMK 175 bullets to these 200 grain boolits. Should be fun! and that's what it's all about!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthunter View Post
    A few of us already know that. We post what we did and got basically called liars by the theory people. I'm surprised they didn't start on you.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    When you have a powder that gives an overly full or compressed load, it sometimes makes a large difference in accuracy if you drop tube the charge in instead of compressing it. You can actually get more powder in also doing that (if wanted). Surplus 7383 is a good example of that along with a few others.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=45 2.1;2298974]A few of us already know that. We post what we did and got basically called liars by the theory people. I'm surprised they didn't start on you.

I'm surprised as well! But frankly, I have the targets, velocities, range adjustments, weather conditions, etc. to back up "EVERYTHING" I do. This way when something great happens, I can actually repeat it, and share it with you guys.

I have done allot of shooting, and learning about cast boolet shooting, with the help of fellow shooters on this site. Its great to give back to the site, and hopefully you guys can achieve the same kind of satisfaction as I have had.

Take care 45 2.1

Lefty: I have that mould and it has been difficult to get good results from. You will have to run it very hot and keep it hot. Frosted boolits are usually the result but at least they are filled completely and on size. I have been pushing Al to make the same mould in Brass but he is resisting.

Mine drops WW alloy at .311/.2998 which just barely slide in the bore of my rifles. Problem I have is I get one or two good boolits out of every ten. The mould just doesn't have the mass in aluminum to hold enough heat to consistently drop good boolits.

Also I need to try adding some more tin to the mix.

I have played with it extensively and it is just being picky. But the good ones it does drop are exactly what I want. Size to .310 with GC and load.

When you figure yours out, do let me know what you did.

This boolit design has the potential to be the most accurate Cast Boolit for .30 cal. out there.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Lefty: I have that mould and it has been difficult to get good results from. You will have to run it very hot and keep it hot. Frosted boolits are usually the result but at least they are filled completely and on size. I have been pushing Al to make the same mould in Brass but he is resisting.

Mine drops WW alloy at .311/.2998 which just barely slide in the bore of my rifles. Problem I have is I get one or two good boolits out of every ten. The mould just doesn't have the mass in aluminum to hold enough heat to consistently drop good boolits.

Also I need to try adding some more tin to the mix.

I have played with it extensively and it is just being picky. But the good ones it does drop are exactly what I want. Size to .310 with GC and load.

When you figure yours out, do let me know what you did.

This boolit design has the potential to be the most accurate Cast Boolit for .30 cal. out there.

Randy
    Just measuring the quick handful from my NOE clone mold, I am getting .300-.3005" on the nose. And .311-.3115" on the bands.
    I am casting at 750* and I run the mold pretty quick to keep the heat, plus its a 4 cavity so that helps too. My alloy is a copper enriched which also has a little TIN and Antimony mixed in as bearing babbitt.

Randy, try turning up your alloy temp, if you use a 2C mold put it back on the hot plate after you pour it, and yes add a smidge of TIN.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Mold
    First off I’m new here and want to thank everyone here this is a great place to learn about casting. I realize this thread is a few years old now but I too have a Remington 700 VLS in 308 and have been working up a load with the Lyman 311299. On two different nights this week I have shot a five shot group just under 3/4 inch at 100 yards with IMR7828SSC. These are the only ten shots I have tried with this load so far but it does seem promising. I have only had a chance to chrony one round so far it showed 2361fps. Is anyone else using this powder?

I have a pound of it and thought about trying it. I have had good luck with IMR 4831 and RL15 for higher velocity .308 cast loads.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast