Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting the 200gr. Lyman#311299 at longer ranges in a .308.

Good Shooting - you might want some wind flags along your shooting lane there to help judge those head winds.

Boolit Master
    Artful:

You bet! Wind flags would definitely help!
    I forgot a few things that morning. I forgot both my wind flags, and the support legs for my target butt! LOL! I just jerry rigged up two sticks to perform the job.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    We have a 900 yard range next to ours, but they are hard to get along with. They only shoot prone (and actually got the range license changed so that prone is the only allowed position, preventing others from using it. They don't like people doing anything except shooting the two details of 2 sighters and 10 scoring shots at the particular distance range they are shooting for the day. They are so hard to get along with, their members come to my range to run barrels in, work out loads, etc. Nearly all 'long range' shooting ranges in Australia are controlled by these clowns and they all seem to make it difficult to shoot anything other then their set match.
    I am one of those clowns,not from that club though,if you made the effort to join the club,along with a couple of mates,you would find a way to get along.
    Mike.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    With the moonshaped trajectory of the 45/70, I'd be surprised if any scope could handle it properly. You might be better off with a big tang sight.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

They would no doubt work, but would look a little odd on an 1875. i might try one on my 308W Remington 700SPS Tactical when I recover from this period of financial embarrassment. haha! (heck, what am I laughing about?)

I just checked out the links, amazing products, amazing quality by the look of it.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 06-27-2013 at 03:16 AM.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Great work DTH, around here its hard to get 400yds without driving a couple hrs atleast. I'd love to be able to stretch my cast .308 out that far with a slow powder but all I own are short barrels. So far my Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle has been doing well. I recently put glass on her and plan on getting her out to 400 soon. Well, after I "make arrangements" with some buddys.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post

That is really interesting base!
    "In GOD We Trust"

My mate has a 275 yard target set up on his property, but the hill is so steep, you need to include that in your calculations and by the time I have scrambled up to check the target, I'm done for the day, lol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    wow, these things are awesome! they might just be the ticket for shooting heavy cal "whisper" type cartridges. What's the cost on a product like this? I see the lower one is around $550
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 06-27-2013 at 11:27 AM.

I had a look at the sites, they seem to run$US500 +

They would no doubt work, but would look a little odd on an 1875. i might try one on my 308W Remington 700SPS Tactical when I recover from this period of financial embarrassment. haha! (heck, what am I laughing about?)

I just checked out the links, amazing products, amazing quality by the look of it.

http://www.possibleshop.com/rifle-malcolm-scopes.html
    http://hi-luxoptics.com/product/rifl...ies/m6343216x/

Well, gentlemen, this is a wonderfully informative find for me this afternoon. Been sitting around in the evenings wondering what to do about the limited supply bullets for my F-Class rifle a 308 Savage FCP10. All I shoot is our club matches alternating between 600 and 800 yards.

When I logged in today, I was hoping to find information on two things:
    - something along the lines of just a gallery load to get some trigger time. Oh boy did I find better.
    - a heavy hunting bullet that would make that same rifle very "hog unfriendly" over some of the fields in the SC Lowcountry.

Boolit Master
    Johnny Boy, I see that's your first post. Welcome to the forum.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Welcome to the fire Johnny Boy, your F Class background will hold you in good stead here.

Vendor Sponsor

Johnny: Welcome !

You have found the promised land for shooting Lead Boolits. Other types are welcome too.

As a F class shooter you can bring us all up to speed on what you do to make your gun hit at long ranges.

If you can figure out a load for Lyman 311299 that will perform well in your gun you will get to shoot alot more. (something about the cost of cast boolits that just makes it more fun.) Plus there's that pride in a job well done.

"DT hunter" the OP on this thread is having quite good luck at 1000 yds.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-27-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    (something about the cost of cast boolits
    Yessir! You'll go broke saving money here like I did, hahaha! Why am I Laughing???

Yessir! You'll go broke saving money here like I did, hahaha! Why am I Laughing???
    I like laughter better than crying.

Yer got a point there Artful!

Thanks for the welcome. A bit of an intro

Thanks for the welcome, Pipehand, 4 Fingers, Randy, et. al. I've just been lurking for about a year. Didn't want to jump in and bother folks until I had a feel for how things went. Happy to be here.

First of all, I love to learn new things. I mean really understand the what fors, how comes and why nots. I also love to make things work. Probably explains why I went into engineering and then on into teaching the same.

F-Class, long-range in general and the reloading to support that shooting appeals to me for the same reasons.

Now I have time to invest in learning how to cast something other than a shrimp net. Since I love to shoot and hunt, boolits seemed to be the thing. And no, it isn't so much the "cost savings". (Anymore than what I saved making furniture, though there is satisfaction in knowing you make it.) Will be nice to know you do have bullets to shoot as long as you've got the powder and primers that is.

First task is to setup a "casting shop". Been reading and "studying on it" for several months and now is the time to pull the trigger on it (very bad pun, sorry) and get it going.

So, I'll be listening, looking and learning. I am not shy about asking questions either.

Thanks again folks.