Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Shooting the 200gr. Lyman#311299 at longer ranges in a .308.

Boolit Master
    One thing I found with the 299 shape Lyman,is you must use a metal hard enough to keep the point straight.I started with too soft,and it was hopeless.And for harder metal,I had to buy commercial at very high cost for mostly lead,IMHO.The bullet is a lot more pointed than it seems in the Lyman book.But never had any problem with fillout,just bullets sticking worse than any iron mold I have................EDIT&OT........Glad for the info on the Service Range crowd........Im thinking of moving out to the sticks,and one spot was next to a QRA range........seems it would be useless........and so I would need enough land to shoot on...........hopefully not surrounded by greenies.

Boolit Mold
    Right now I’m using federal large rifle primers any thoughts on switching to magnum primers?

Boolit Master

Definitely! I have data on switching. In somee cases, I found that mag primers tightened groups. In others, I found it loosened groups. So that’s something you can experimentally derive quite easily, and see if there is a benefit.

However, I have also found that in nearly all cases (that I have measured), mag rimers will loosen up velocity SD’s. So while the mag primers may tighten groups for shooting at ranges where bullet drop is a non issue, when you start to worry about your velocity uniformity for longer range shooting, mag primers may not be the right answer.

Ultimately, I suggest you try it yourself. Won’t take more than 20 rounds. Shoot 20 into one group over a chrono, then load and shoot 20 using mag primers into one group over a chrono. If you have stastically significant results (t-test more than 95% confidence), you have a winner. My bet is that you’ll be no more than 70% confident (statistically) in the result, meaning no difference. Unless you get something catastrophic like a 2 inch rifle going to 5 inches.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345