Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: BP loads in a Open Top

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

BP loads in a Open Top

I would like to try some BP loads in a Open Top.
    I have a lot of smokeless bullets already lubed is the reason I am asking.

So can one take a smokeless pre lube boolit, or one with Lee Alox or a un lubed boolit? Loaded it in the case, then put Crisco or some other BP lube? Like a Cap and Ball and it will work ok?
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Not especially well. Your gun will foul out quickly and lead up. Try pan lubing some unsized bullets with a simple BP lube. You will be pleasesd.

Boolit Master

You might be OK for a couple of cylinders full with an unlubed bullet, no different from what I do with my C&B. With most smokeless lubes you get terrible carbon fouling which causes the lead fouling. Be better if it was a softer alloy. You don't say what caliber but I'd be glad to send you a few 38 or 45 BP bullets to try if you cover shipping. I love my 44-40 and 45 Opentops. Take a look at www.whyteleatherworks.com and click on the Big Lube tab to see pics of the bullets.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    You might be OK for a couple of cylinders full with an unlubed bullet, no different from what I do with my C&B. With most smokeless lubes you get terrible carbon fouling which causes the lead fouling. Be better if it was a softer alloy. You don't say what caliber but I'd be glad to send you a few 38 or 45 BP bullets to try if you cover shipping. I love my 44-40 and 45 Opentops. Take a look at www.whyteleatherworks.com and click on the Big Lube tab to see pics of the bullets.
    Its a 38 spl and thanks for the offer Pm will be sent
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post

So can one take a smokeless pre lube boolit, or one with Lee Alox or a un lubed boolit? Loaded it in the case, then put Crisco or some other BP lube? Like a Cap and Ball and it will work ok?
    Your smokeless bullets will do fine with lube smeared over the cylinder. I have shot many CAS matches that way with no leading after a full day.

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post

Your smokeless bullets will do fine with lube smeared over the cylinder. I have shot many CAS matches that way with no leading after a full day.

I agree with Mike. Crisco or Bore Butter smeared over the boolits in the cylinder will do just fine. Before I got my Big Lube Boolits or my own cast and lubed with BP Lubricant that's what I would do and I never had any problems. I did keep a rag handy to wipe off the cylinder and my hands between stages.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!