Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Easy to build gas checkmaker

Quote Originally Posted by shootsblanks View Post
    Super slow reply on my end sorry.
    It is a 1 stage, i had issue with the .004 being found between muzzle and target at inconsistant distances, AND in the berm... switched to .012 thick flashing and that was solved, as was my malformed check problem but, after sizing my bullets to crimp on the check the, material forms a convex base, it appears consistant, and does not seem to lead so off to the range.

the groups fired last night are not reliable as i have a sunburn induced flinch at the moment, anything more than my plinker loads is painfull!
    i only had the 25 meter range but out of 5 shots i put 3 into 1/4" center to center and the next 2 went almost exactly 1" higher and 1" lower, but were perfect for windage.

I am optimisitic, i believe that had more to do with my shooting than the checks, i will know for sure next week once my burn heals up and i can shoot properly again. I do not believe that an out of square check would manifest perfect vertical stringing that extreme at that short a range
    Load was 29.4gr varget under a noe sc311-165, no chrony data yet but estimate between 1950-2000fps
    I haven't tested my flat base gas checks yet sadly not enough time. The only flat base 30 cal bullet I have is NOE HTC 153 and shoots very good without a gas check around 2000 fps. I am getting pretty good results with traditional gas checks and powder coated 134gr bullet (NOE 130) velocity 2330fps, cartridge 7.62x40 with 23.5gr of 1680. Both of these shoot 1" or better at 50 yards. The thick .012 flashing would deform the base of bullet quite a bit. If you don't want concave, size it with base up or use lubrisizer, the best results are with later.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    I haven't tested my flat base gas checks yet sadly not enough time. The only flat base 30 cal bullet I have is NOE HTC 153 and shoots very good without a gas check around 2000 fps. I am getting pretty good results with traditional gas checks and powder coated 134gr bullet (NOE 130) velocity 2330fps, cartridge 7.62x40 with 23.5gr of 1680. Both of these shoot 1" or better at 50 yards. The thick .012 flashing would deform the base of bullet quite a bit. If you don't want concave, size it with base up or use lubrisizer, the best results are with later.
    2000fps is pretty fast for plain base! I was under the impression that you need a check even with htc

I believe you are right and my material is just too thick, when i was punching them from pop cans they would seat nice and flat, but had leading, terrible accuracy. i was also finding checks on the ground strewn muzzle to target and on recovered bullets alike,

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678