Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Easy to build gas checkmaker

Made in 30 cal, and 9mm GC design and flat base .357/9mm.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Made one in 500 S&W. Fit is snug and perfect! Bottle on top to collect GCs and to aid screwing in.

Last edited by dimaprok; 06-19-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    Attachment 84644
    Photo of punched out disk, strip material, and complete checks. Disk punching and forming is done in one stroke.
    Attachment 84645
    Photo of check installed on bullet next to fired and recovered bullet.
    Attachment 84646
    Image of the checkmaker in operation on a Lee Reloader Press. An old pill bottle screwed on top of the punch catches checks. It doesn't take much force to use this checkmaker so Lee's cheapest press has worked fine for several thousand checks so far.
    That's a good idea, I have the chex 2 in 22, and 30. I'm going to go put this together on my cheap lee press like yours. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ipijohn View Post
    I made a universal punch body out of an old expander die. I bought a piece of 5/8 ground drill rod and make punches out of it that are held in the retired expander die with a set screw. I bored a .626 dia flat bottom hole in the expander die to slip the punches into. With this setup I only have to make a punch and insert it into the threaded expander die, it makes all of the parts for the whole punch round (no single point cut threads).
    how are you holding the punch inside? Do you have set screw in side? I tried this except I just used threaded rod and the set screw needs to clear threads, there is just not enough material unless your set screw is below which brings its own set of problems. Do you have picture?

Boolit Man
    What does this look like to you guys. It mics at .355. Bought it in a bunch of old stuff.

Boolit Mold
    Hello. I want to try to make according to your drawing. There are several questions - because I am from Russia, we have all sizes in millimeters. Internal and thread diameter for twisting in the press will remain unchanged. Is it possible to adjust external dimensions?

Thank you for the file. Something to do on a snowy day.

Quote Originally Posted by shanep View Post
    What does this look like to you guys. It mics at .355. Bought it in a bunch of old stuff.

Those look like swaging dies. I would post this in the swaging section.

Boolit Bub
    my uncle is a machinist and will be building me one of these sometime this month, minor modification to make plain base checks from .004 thick pop can aluminum because I am cheap. should be a 0.312 inside diameter on the check (my plane base 30 cal molds all drop between 3105 and 3115), will post results when it arrives

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    Made one in 50 cal for someone. Fit is snug and perfect! Bottle on top to collect GCs and to aid screwing in.

I like how your check maker doesn't "nibble" a bite out of the check like some do.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by shootsblanks View Post
    my uncle is a machinist and will be building me one of these sometime this month, minor modification to make plain base checks from .004 thick pop can aluminum because I am cheap. should be a 0.312 inside diameter on the check (my plane base 30 cal molds all drop between 3105 and 3115), will post results when it arrives
    Standard pop cans are .004, there is one brand of coconut water I found to be .005, this is not enough for 30 caliber. The math is simple, you measure the shank and I don't have my notes but if I recall it's .285, you add .005 x 2 and you end up with .295 - that's way under .309-311 so that means the gas check won't crimp and stay on. I found that you need about .012 or more. You might get my with .010 if you PC first.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I like how your check maker doesn't "nibble" a bite out of the check like some do.
    The secret is close fit between punch and body. I strive between 0 and .001 max tolerance. The original plans called for up to .002, it might be ok for thicker material but I found that you want to get as close as you can for that laser clean cut punch even if I am close to the edge to make a hair thin edge it doesn't fold or nibble the edge.

Boolit Bub
    Standard pop cans are .004, there is one brand of coconut water I found to be .005, this is not enough for 30 caliber. The math is simple, you measure the shank and I don't have my notes but if I recall it's .285, you add .005 x 2 and you end up with .295 - that's way under .309-311 so that means the gas check won't crimp and stay on. I found that you need about .012 or more. You might get my with .010 if you PC first.
    That is why i am having the checkmaker designed to produce a check with an ID of .312, i will be using them on plain base bullets and thicker material would be undesireable.
    I believe Pat Marlin sells something similar and the resulting checks have been given great reviews.

For plain base yes, I'll be making one too soon. Most of 30 cal molds though are not plain base.

Boolit Grand Master

I made the Ed Smith gas check maker but use a mallet, not a loading press (so far anyway). I use 0.019" old gutter material for checks. They extrude a bit but easy to make with a mallet. Might be a bit much for a loading press at that thickness. Not sure about that.

There must be lots of old gutter available so a free source of check material if it isn't too thick for you.

I plan plan on making a PB checkmaker too.

Your checkmaker does form a very nice check. I think I'll tighten up my clearances a bit when I make the next one.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    My checkmaker took longer than expected but it works pretty good! Checks are almost 60 dollars in Canada and my 3030 hunting/target load is now down to $220/1000 from 280, thats significant for me, the .004 thick popcans are a pita to work with, sometimes they turn sideways in the die during forming and if i do not notice right away the next 10 are ruined.

Edit;
    How i fixed it; I raised the forming mandrel with a thin washer so it protrudes into the slot for feeding material and applies pressure to the underside of the aluminum strip during the cutting operation. This prevents the material from having a chance to shift in the 5 thou between being cut and coming into contact with the mandrel,
    Last edited by shootsblanks; 06-04-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Boolit Man
    Shootsblanks,
    Look by sage outdoors.com , its very interresting

Quote Originally Posted by shootsblanks View Post
    My checkmaker took longer than expected but it works pretty good! Checks are almost 60 dollars in Canada and my 3030 hunting/target load is now down to $220/1000 from 280, thats significant for me, the .004 thick popcans are a pita to work with, sometimes they turn sideways in the die during forming and if i do not notice right away the next 10 are ruined.

Edit;
    How i fixed it; I raised the forming mandrel with a thin washer so it protrudes into the slot for feeding material and applies pressure to the underside of the aluminum strip during the cutting operation. This prevents the material from having a chance to shift in the 5 thou between being cut and coming into contact with the mandrel,
    Is it 1 stage or 2 like Pat Parlins? Mine never shifts when I punch, but I do push it slightly against the back of the slot, still I can go fast, I timed once about 100 gas checks in 3 min from pop cans.

Boolit Bub
    Is it 1 stage or 2 like Pat Parlins? Mine never shifts when I punch, but I do push it slightly against the back of the slot, still I can go fast, I timed once about 100 gas checks in 3 min from pop cans.

Super slow reply on my end sorry.
    It is a 1 stage, i had issue with the .004 being found between muzzle and target at inconsistant distances, AND in the berm... switched to .012 thick flashing and that was solved, as was my malformed check problem but, after sizing my bullets to crimp on the check the, material forms a convex base, it appears consistant, and does not seem to lead so off to the range.

the groups fired last night are not reliable as i have a sunburn induced flinch at the moment, anything more than my plinker loads is painfull!
    i only had the 25 meter range but out of 5 shots i put 3 into 1/4" center to center and the next 2 went almost exactly 1" higher and 1" lower, but were perfect for windage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190619_072347.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	243788
    I am optimisitic, i believe that had more to do with my shooting than the checks, i will know for sure next week once my burn heals up and i can shoot properly again. I do not believe that an out of square check would manifest perfect vertical stringing that extreme at that short a range
    Load was 29.4gr varget under a noe sc311-165, no chrony data yet but estimate between 1950-2000fps

Quote Originally Posted by otarov View Post
    Hello. I want to try to make according to your drawing. There are several questions - because I am from Russia, we have all sizes in millimeters. Internal and thread diameter for twisting in the press will remain unchanged. Is it possible to adjust external dimensions?
    Можешь писать в личку по Русски dimaprok@gmail.com Только увидел твой пост счас.
    Last edited by dimaprok; 06-21-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast