Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Need scope advice

Boolit Master

Need scope advice

I am looking for a good scope in the 6-18 power range, Do you guys have a good choice for 308 win? Can't afford Leupold but something mid price range?

Boolit Buddy
    I like Burris and Nikon, not sure what they have available in the 6-18 range though, I'm more of a 3-9 guy myself, and sometimes 4-12, if I'm feeling frisky
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Love Life
    It really depends on what you plan to use the rifle for. Vortex has come out swinging and punched the scope market in the face. Their scopes are a WHOLE bunch of scope for the money, and they offer hunting scopes all the way through tactical scopes with features you usually pay upwards of $1,500 for.

Sightron makes very good scopes with crystal clear glass (better than a Mark 4 I used to have) and their adjustments are VERY consistent.

I would not go with such a high magnification unless you save a bit longer and get to the begining of the higher end scopes. Conquest 6-20x50 with the z-1000 reticle is phenomenal on a 308. You can get a demo model from cameraland for much less than retail. If your not planning on shooting long range all the time a Nikon up to 12 power would be great.

Boolit Master

Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    I don't know what your intended use is, but I don't see the need of a 6 to 18 on a 308. Most scopes tend to lose clarity at the higher settings, and the scopes are longer. You don't have the field of view a 3 to 9 has. There is a reason 3 to 9 is the most popular scope. I usually hunt at about 5. Redfield made good scopes and you can find used Redfield at decent prices. Natchez has refurbished scopes at discount prices. Be aware, the chinese are counterfiting the leupold and it is showing up on ebay and elsewhere.

Love Life
    Flounderman is spot on with magnification.

I prefer a 25 power scope so I don't have to lug a spotting scope to the range...

A 4-16 or a 6-20 is great.

Boolit Master
    USMC87, what are you going to use this for? I can give you several different answers depending on your use.

Boolit Master

I am deer hunting in the fall and groundhogs in the summer, Some of the fields here are a 4-500 yard shot. I would like something that would be clear at that distance. My friend who is in the hospital and don't have long to live told me that he has several steiner scopes that I could get at a good deal from him. I don't know nothing about them or what they are worth, Anybody know anything on them?

Boolit Master
    For hunting where shots can be 4-500 yards a 3-9X or a 2.5-10X would be good. Looking at an object at 500 yards through a 10X scope will appear to be optically only 50 yards away. And with the lower power will be good for field of view in close up shots off hand at moving game.

Steiner makes high end optics!

Love Life
    Steiner makes a great scope. I run their 5-25 military and it seriously competes with the S&B police marksmen series. You will do very well with the steiners. Their prices can be found by typing in the scope model into a search engine.

Boolit Buddy
    there are several newer/not as well known scopes on the market such as Meopta. You can buy refurbs or demos from SWFA.com for a reasonable price. A friend and I did some informal testing and these scopes (Meopta in particular) out-performed some of the better known scopes for a fraction of the cost.

Boolit Master

I appreciate the help guys, Yeah my friend has alot of unfired Belgium Brownings and H&K'S, My dad bought an H&K 308 M770 unfired with the claw mount and extra 10 shot clip for $1300.00, Maybe he will give me a good scope at a good price. So steiner would be as good as the others?

Love Life
    I have only been able to play with a couple of the steiner hunting models, and they were very nice. They also get rave reviews. I do not believe you can go wrong with the steiner scopes. However; the scope market is very crowded now, and the companies have been listening to what their customers want. You can find several different scope brands, with reasonable prices, that will work very well.

For your application I would go with a variable scope, that has mildots, hash marks, or some other reference point for drop in the scope, as the 308 drops quite a bit at 500 yds.

ETA: Give the vortex a good hard look. I push them alot, but that is because they are a bunch of scope for the money with a no BS warranty. I've used their whole PST FFP line (except the 2.5-10x32) and was very impressed.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-riflescopes.html

Also
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/sightron?brand=158&cat=21
    Last edited by Love Life; 05-29-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Steiner is top shelf. If you can afford it, jump on it.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.