RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original Sharps paper patch cartridge loads, which components?

Boolit Bub
    Thank you Lead Pot! Great post. You have given me some good tools to work with, and work with them I will.
    Last edited by ketland; 05-28-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Got out yesterday for some more testing, and had mixed results. The photo shows a 100 yard group consisting of 5 record shots, and two sighters. After putting the two sighters on, I adjusted up and put the shot directly above them mid ball then went for four more for a five shot group. The ball measured 2-1/4". The bullet was the BACO .444 at 500gr, with 70gr of Goex, and a 1/16 wad compressed to allow the bullet to seat at .030 depth. Not quite 2moa, I have my work cut out for me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0216.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	72100

I also tried my .442 BACO bullets at 450gr with a new paper, Borden and Riley parchment tracing #51 which measured at slightly under .003 on my caliper, and had very poor results. I think this paper was disintegrating before getting out of the barrel as the bullet were not stabilizing, and I actually got some leading in the bore which had to be wire brushed out. I would strongly suggest staying away from this paper.
    For the time being, I am going to go back to the onion skin paper on the .442's and see what I get. The onion skin / .442 was giving me better accuracy than the .444's but it took three wraps to get it up to bore size. I will keep you posted on my results, hopefully I will get out and test more later today.
    Last edited by ketland; 05-31-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    Consider the thickness of your paper at 2 wraps and the depth of your rifling. 3 Wraps is too much and will not get good sliced paper. If you want Match grade accuracy thin paper a bullet of proper Diameter and proper fouling control methods will get you there. .444 or .446 diam bullet and Seth Cole Tracing paper works very well for target work.

Now Hunting is a different cat, I use a .441 to .442 diam bullet thicker paper patched up to about .447 and a good grease cookie under that bullet you can load and shoot in very cold too, very warm, weather and at 167 yrds hold a base of your hand size group from kneeling cross sticks in 10 inches of snow.

My loads are just a puff of confetti at the muzzle no leading proper patch height is also very important and a good wad stack also help protect the bullet base.

The Lunger
    KW

Boolit Bub
    Thank you Kenny, I was able to make it out yesterday, and had better results. This time using the BACO .442 (450gr) with two wraps of the 9# onion skin paper which BACO sells. I used 70gr GOEX 2f with a 1/16th vegi fiber wad over the powder and compressed so the bullet would seat at .3 depth in the case.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0221.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	72371

I tried a few different seat depths, and powder loads, but think the key difference is in the consistency of my wiping routine, two wet patches followed by two dry, and just overall paying more attention to the details of loading. Oops, sorry the pic is upside down.
    Last edited by ketland; 06-02-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12