Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: The paper patch gods smiled down upon me.....

Boolit Buddy

The paper patch gods smiled down upon me.....

After many questions to the experts on this forum concerning all of the many parameters necessary to launch a big paper patched boolit, I finally had a few minutes to test my loads out today and I was very pleased with the results. I had no idea what to expect as I sat down and squeezed the set trigger. I have read many posts here from guys trying out patched boolits with mixed results and I anticipated having trouble getting on target. Here is the group:

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-29 09.40.19.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	71936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-29 16.00.13.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	71935

Don't know how that ended up on a separate post but anyway....

Shot at 100 yards with cross sticks. The first pic is the first four shots. I wiped the bore between each shot with a wet patch and then a dry patch.

The next pic is the same group with the next three shots in the middle. This time I just used three long breaths through a blow tube. I figured wiping between shots would be more accurate but I'm not complaining at all. I didn't see any lead in the barrel and I found the confetti from the patchs about 15 feet in front of the muzzle in strips and I found the base of the patch so it came completely off the bullet like it should. I tried to find one of the bullets but a damned yellow fly got after me and I couldn't concentrate.

Its not the tightest group in the world but for my first foray into paper patching, I'm tickled and I think its a good starting point. I'm definitely hooked! Thanks to all for the superb advice, its what makes this site so great!! Will
    Last edited by webradbury; 05-29-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Is that where this PP sickness comes from ??? yellow flies??

Off to a nice start - what's next?

ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going to refine my boolits and patches and see how far they'll fly... the rifle came with a sight that almost needs guide wires and a flashing red light at the top!

Boolit Master
    They have been holding an annual 1 mile shoot in Wyoming each year - you could gear up for that! What caliber are you shooting?
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master
    They sure are a lot of fun once you figure out how to make them shoot.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WARD O View Post
    They have been holding an annual 1 mile shoot in Wyoming each year - you could gear up for that! What caliber are you shooting?
    It's a 45-70 C. Sharps 1874 with 34" barrel and long range sight. I'm still smiling over the deal I got on this rifle.

One day, I would love to attend one of those matches. Maybe when I retire and the kids are grown. It's a long way from Eastern NC to the great wide open spaces of the west!

I have a co-worker who said we need to take it to a big cotton field where he hunts to try for distance. Will

Boolit Master
    Some place or another I remember reading an article by Mike Venturino concerning how far these rifles will shoot - possibly in his "Shooting Buffalo Rifles" book. Anyway they took rifles to an military range with some fancy electronics and tracked bullets to approx 2 miles IIRC!

I also recall reading a military manual from the 1800's where they discussed playing the bounce when shooting at hostiles. It was better to miss short and maybe hit a riders horse or something on the ricochet rather than miss long and have no chance for a hit.

ward

Boolit Buddy
    I saw a rifle competition one time on TV where the shooters we're shooting across a large pond and were required to skip the bullet across the water and hit a target on the opposite bank for accuracy. I think it was in England.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you can, try and give yourself an aim point on the target. Spray paint dot, magic marker, stapled bottle top, something. Aim small - miss small! Bet your groups tighten up even more.