Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: homemade butter

homemade butter

I rarely if ever see anyone talking about homemade butter.
    Is nobody making it or just never post about it?

The wifes been making ours and theres nothing simpler. Put some cream in the Kitchen Aid mixer and turn it on. In about 15 minutes you have butter. Simple as that. Rinse it with cold water and add a touch of salt if you want.
    We get about 1 quart buttermilk and 1 1/2lb+ butter from 2 quarts of cream.
    We're also going to can some for storage.

It tastes SOOOO much better than ANY of that garbage in the stores.

I remember my grandmother making homemade butter in a wooden churn when I was a child from cream from the one milkcow we kept on our beef farm. I have no memory of the exact process. I just remember blistering my hands on the wooden plunger. Her butter was so much better than any butter I had since. She even had a little wooden mold with an oak leaf pattern.

Please give me more specifics. I have a Kitchenaid 600 mixer. What speed do I set it on? Which attachment do I use?

Ours is the Professional HD and we get the cream from a local dairy. Dont tell the feds.
    Wrap plastic wrap around it to keep down the splashing.
    She starts around medium speed with the wire wisk thing and works up the speed every few minutes until its on high or close to it.

Make sure you rinse good with cold water after you pour off the buttermilk. The buttermilk will spoil fast in the butter. She kinda squishes it thru the fingers under cold running water. Simple.

Boolit Grand Master

No place here to buy cream anymore. We did this years ago but the local farmers are now prohibited from sellin to individuals. We also made our own home made ice cream!

Thanks. I don't have access to cream straight from a local dairy. Is there any reason why I can't use the same formula with ordinary heavy whipping cream from the grocery store?

When I was a growing up, I remember my mom making the weekly trip(s) to buy mil from a local dairy. The dairy owners had a separate room on the entrance to their home with a refrigerator with milk, a clipboard to not e who bought how much, and a box for money. The milk was non-pasteurized, non-homogenized and would separate into 2 distinct layers, with milk on the bottom and cream rising to the top. I remember having to take the lid off of the tupper-wear jug and stir the milk... I miss those days. Now it's 1% and what's cream? Oh... the stuff in the can I spray on my Sunday morning mocha. Would love to make my own butter. Closest I can get to that now is some goodness called "Amish Country Roll Butter".
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." - Doug Patton

This is Mrs. Reloader28

Yes (40-82) you can use you can use the heavy whipping cream from the store.

I let the cream come to room temperature makes the process go quicker.
    I start my kitchen aid on medium speed until it thickens up and turn to high. Like my husband said I use plastic wrap to help prevent the splashing.
    It will first go to whipping cream than it will look something like scrambled eggs(very close). You will see the buttermilk separate from the butter. Now you have made butter. you now just pour the buttermilk off and save in a jar ( make some bran muffins or buttermilk pancakes to go with your fresh butter) I use a small screen strainer to save the small clumps of butter. I than form the butter into a ball or log. I keep a bowl or plate under it to save any butter that may fall. You can gentle massage the butter with your hands under running cold water until the water runs clear. I did try using the hand potato masher yesterday with a bowl and that worked really good. Make sure the water runs clear any buttermilk left in the butter will cause it to spoil faster. I do not salt our butter but, if you want to have salted butter you can mix a little salt in it before you store it. Just knead it in.

I than wrap in plastic wrap or store in a covered dish and enjoy.

Dear Mrs. Reloader 28,

Thank you very much. I'll be able to recreate something from my childhood that I missed. I usually measure the time in weeks between trips from the farm to a store in town. By tonight or tomorrow at the latest I'll be in town after whip cream. If the two of you ever pass through Southwest Virginia, look me up.

Edd

Boolit Master

I make mine by putting cream about 2/3's full in a mason jar and tipping it back and fourth while I'm sittin in front of the TV. Takes a little longer (about half 20 minutes) - but it is truely made by hand. The butter will just fall out of the cream - leaving buttermilk behind.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    If you live on enough land to support a cow of the high butter fat breeds one can do it all, milk, butter, sour cream, butter milk.
    It will involve feeding the cow, Hay/some corn in winter.
    You will have to milk the cow everyday, that's where your kids come in! It takes about 10 to 20 minutes to milk the cow.

Actually they became pets to me and I looked after them with respect, something that wouldn't hurt a hell of a lot of kids today!

Boolit Master

Thanks, Mrs Reloader 28!
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

Check this link out, it explains the process completely and also explains how to make sweet cream butter and cultured butter. I've done cultured (I use a bit of cultured buttermilk instead of the packaged cultures) and sweet cream, both make a better product than you get in the store.

The cultured takes longer but the flavor is much better.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/Butter.html

Boolit Master
    Make ice cream with that heavy cream , man is it good.

I've made Butter with my Girlfriends Grandkids. All we did was take 2 jars (2 Grandkids) pinch of salt and about 3-4 oz heavy cream. And then the fun starts, SHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEE the heck out of it!! Takes a good 10+ minutes and tuckers the Grandkids out!! Fresh warm bread (from bread machine) homemade butter for a snack!! Plus I have a lot of Fun doing it with them!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master
    I want to hear more about how you're going to can it.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

We're going to try it as soon as we get time.
    From what I've seen and read, you simmer the butter until it froths. At least thats how they do store bought butter.
    Then you keep skimming off the froth until its clean.
    After that you just put it in warm jars let it set.

Like I said, we aint tried it yet. Hopefully in a few days. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Boolit Master

I remember when I was a kid and we had an ol Jersey milk cow. Mom would let the milk sit in the fridge and the cream would rise to the top and she would skim it off and in a few days she would have enough to fill a quart jar. My job was to walk around shaking the jar and it at that time seemed forever (probably only 20 or 30 mintes) but eventually it would turn into butter. That's all we used for butter it was basically free and so was my labor.

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    Dittos to the heavy cream in a jar and shaking it up. We had a church get together once where that was part of the entertainment for the kids. 10-15 minutes of shaking and a ball of butter forms in the jar. We didn't rinse it but then we ate it on hot rolls so fast it didn't have time to spoil.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    I grew up on a redneck Cotton & Corn farm in N. Alabama near to where I now live. We normally kept 5 or 6 Jersey & Gurnesy milk cows. Mom would take a milking & store it in a stoneware Churn until it had "Clabbered" or soured. When it was ready my job was to use the "Dasher" to churn the milk and after 30 minutes or so the butter had seperated from the milk leaving behind Buttermilk. Each churning produced several pounds of Butter that Mom sold keeping enough for our use. Most of our milk went to a Creamery that used it for making cheese.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin