Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: New handgun scope

New handgun scope

Im looking for a new scope for .357 mag Contender for IHSMA field pistol. The one I had on it was TC 2 1/2 to 7 power,but the variable power dosn't focus anymore. I would like to stay in the 150$ price range.
    Judan

Boolit Master

tender!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 09:14 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you need a variable? I had a Nikon Monarch 2X on a Super Blackhawk Hunter that was beyond superb. Crystal clear, Bright just great. I liked it so much I bought a pair of Monarch Binoculars for a trip to Africa. Everyone on Safari had Leopold, Zeiss etc but after trying mine were amazed at how good they were.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I have three or four of the Burris handgun scopes. So far so good ,but mine are older models that were for sure made in the USA.

Boolit Master

when i had my 17" 308 Encore set up as a pistol i used a 4x Leupold
    that worked better than the Bushnell Elite 2x7 i have on my 454 casull
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

I think a straight 2X will do all that is needed.
    Isn't hunter pistol all off hand? I forget. No way to use power in the scope. An Ultra Dot is FAAAAR easier to hold steady because you don't see your shakes.
    If you tell me you can hold a 7X steady off hand I will say you are DEAD and propped up with sticks!

Boolit Buddy
    Hey 44man I took your advice and ordered a Ultra Dot 30 MM from Ultra Dot West. Last one they had in stock. tks Ken

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 27judge View Post
    Hey 44man I took your advice and ordered a Ultra Dot 30 MM from Ultra Dot West. Last one they had in stock. tks Ken
    Good, let us know what you think after shooting it.
    Don't mount a ring directly over glass. Then use a target you can center the dot in.
    I don't like fancy stuff, plain Jane is best.

Boolit Master
    Before you go shucking out money. The TC scopes
    are life time guaranteed.
    Jeff

Banned

I am old and I loved open sights but the gremlin has stolen them. I even need glasses to see a dot in red dots, no focus in them. But I can hit a liter bottle of water off hand at 100 yards with the revolvers but I will NEVER hit with a scope unless rested. The wobble I see drives me nuts and I am prone to pulling the trigger as the cross hairs cross the target, instant miss. With the Ultra Dot I can call a shot if I miss or hit. Not so with a scope.
    I am not a super-duper shot with nerves of steel and a steady hold so I need a crutch with vision.
    I am a hunter first today with IHMSA long gone. Put the dot on a deer and fill the freezer.
    The best pistol scope is 1X, no doubt at all in my mind but they are hard to find and I don't know if any are made today. Adjustments for range are easier then a red dot.

Boolit Master

deal ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 09:12 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

I shoot Field pistol and use a Red Dot. I see all the "shake" that I want to with it let alone magnify it with a scope! I would never pull the trigger with those cross hairs dancing around the target!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I shoot Field pistol and use a Red Dot. I see all the "shake" that I want to with it let alone magnify it with a scope! I would never pull the trigger with those cross hairs dancing around the target!
    Exactly, smart shooter. I bet you do better.

Maybe Ill just try to send the
    scope back to the factory to see if I can get it fixed, ive had the scope sence the early 90's.
    Judan

Boolit Master
    I called Burris today and their pistol scopes are now made in the Philippines.They also said don't mount them on an S&W 460,it will eat the scope . The 500 S&W is OK.