Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found an Ishapore Enfield 7.62 NATO

Boolit Buddy

Found an Ishapore Enfield 7.62 NATO

I ran across it in a pawn shop today. It has the nicest black paint I've ever seen on one of these. The bore is good, receiver and bolt numbers match. It has not been Bubba'ed at all. He told me $199 and I told him to give me an hour or two.

I have not seen any of these lately so I do not know what the current values are. GB is no help. What say you?

Thanks, Malcolm

Boolit Buddy

Never mind, I got. I could not stop myself!!!!

I'd say you done good!

Boolit Master

Good on you Brother. Let's see a photo or two.

Enfields have always interested me. From the Boar War to current times, they've seen the Elephant. I guess only Antarctica and South America are the only continents not graced by their presence.

The last ones that I saw in use were in Bangladesh a couple of years ago. I saw both the No 1 Mk III and the No 4 there.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

In Remembrance
    I'm not sure what you hesitated for 200, bucks for a 308 sounds good to my way of thinking. I picked up an old /06 for 200 bucks today and if it turns out to be a shooter, I will be stoked.

Boolit Master

They are real precise with a reciever sight and standard front sight. They paper patch real well also.
    I love them.

Boolit Mold
    You did good on the price, on-line auctions have been higher (data here) plus shipping, etc.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Mine is a #5 Jungle. Nato chamber type for sure, so expect a compressed bolt or a full military chamber. This means low velocity rounds fired results in cases too long for resizing back to SAAMI. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Bought some of them back when they were plentiful , kind of goes along with the other .303 enfields , in the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetzer View Post
    I guess only Antarctica and South America are the only continents not graced by their presence.
    Shackleton in The Heart of the Antarctic, in which some variation occurs.

Importantly, in this list, suppliers are noted where known.

It mentions:

.45 Revolver

.32 Revolver

.303 Rifle

12 Gauge Shotgun

Full list here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/9680441/Sh...tion-Food-List

Boolit Grand Master
    On mine, which I paid $149.00 for several years ago, the chamber isn't way oversized. The origin of the rifling is way, way out there though. I have about .250" difference between it and the Parker-Hale Mauser barrel that I shoot most.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I Got one of those a couple of months ago and it came in the ATI black composite stock. I ordered and installed the Mojo aperture sight in place of the issue rear sight. After several applications of the Outers foam bore cleaner over a couple of night and some new bore brushes there is a very nice bore there. It is a tighter fit at the muzzle with the Lee 200 grain bore rider than a Savage 99C .308 I recently picked up.

Both of them are finally going to the range tomorrow so I'm hoping for good things from both of them. GF

On Heaven's Range

It was my firm belief, years ago, that nothing could be "homelier" than a #1 MkIII SMLE.

Then.... I met the Ishapore .308/7.62 NATO rifles.

I've avoided adding one to my motley crew, since FOUR .303 rifles fill that gap rather well. The four .303 rifles are a pretty motley bunch all by themselves:

-a 1914-dated custom #1 MkIII with its original barrel, Lyman 48 sight, and beautifully-built into an African-style sporter which I love dearly;

-a 1955 Fazakerley #4, as-new with a Parker-Hale match sight;

-a 1943 Long Branch #4, another as-new recent addition to fill a hole that's existed since I was issued a similar #4 in 1958 (#85L7408.... reward offered);

...and the newest of my .303 rifles, the Ruger #1. The .303 seems a perfect match for the design/style of the "Victorian" Number One Rifle.

After many decades' experience, I find that the .303 is the full equal of the .308 Winchester, and that is a very fine neighborhood to call home. The cartridge has certainly served me well, up to and including clean kills on several moose and some other critters.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    you did good. i got mine for $130 when they first came in. i shoot it more then my other enfields they don't have the headspace problems. .308 and cast seam to go together.

In Remembrance

I also got one of the first entries into the country, seems like I paid about $120 for it cosmoline and all. After 2 nights of cleaning off enough cosmoline to preserve a Sherman tank I got down to a nice bore and fairly nice wood. Turned out to be a good shooter. Even if you wanted to, you can`t confuse the magazines of this Enfield with a .303 Enfield.Robert

Boolit Master
    I prefer the .303 to the .308. Some .308 loads are ballistically superior to the hottest .303 loads, but this comes at a price, significantly higher chamber pressure.
    The 2A rifles were designed to use the equivalent of NATO M80 Ball ammo, its best to use nothing hotter.

Boolit Buddy

Guys,
    I was not insinuating that the 2A was a better rifle/round than the .303. I have a #5 .303 that I love to shoot. I was kinda proud of this nice specimen of a 2A I had found. BTW, it is going to be a cast boolit shooter.
    Thanks, Malcolm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Love View Post
    Guys,
    I was not insinuating that the 2A was a better rifle/round than the .303. I have a #5 .303 that I love to shoot. I was kinda proud of this nice specimen of a 2A I had found. BTW, it is going to be a cast boolit shooter.
    Thanks, Malcolm
    While I'm not enthusiastic about 7.62 Enfields, either 2A or the converted No.4, I would not mind having a 2A with good headspace, so long as I had a good supply of fresh M80 Ball or a commercial .308 with a known chamber pressure that was no higher than 48,000 CUP.
    The rifles served their purpose well, so long as they were fed good ammo. Some truly dismal 7.62 NATO ammo has appeared on the market now and then. enough so that I'm leery of investing in any 7.62 bolt action rifle, Mauser as well as Enfield, unless fresh ammo of known quality is available at reasonable prices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Mine is a #5 Jungle. Nato chamber type for sure, so expect a compressed bolt or a full military chamber. This means low velocity rounds fired results in cases too long for resizing back to SAAMI. ... felix
    Is that a 2A/2A1 converted to #5 Jungle carbine configuration by the importer (or someone else)? Or are you saying that you have a SMLE #5?
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master

I had one that cost $69 from the importer in the mid-90's as I recall. Still had the numbers painted on the stock. Traded it for $90 in about 2001 in a rampant fit of stupidity. I really have no idea what I was thinking.

I have one of the Enfields converted to .410 in India that is unfired. Every time I think about selling it, I remember the Ishapore. Thing is, I like actually shooting my old military guns.

$200 for a nice milsurp with a 10 round mag of .308? What's not to like? You did very well.
    Last edited by Fishman; 05-27-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: More info
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast