RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Ruger No. 1 trigger

Ruger No. 1 trigger

Hello Folks,

Now that the Moyers trigger is discontinued, what options are available besides the Kepplinger single-set trigger ($290 installed at EABCO)? I would like to reduce the pull weight to around three or four pounds. The trigger is nice and crisp. Do you know of a gunsmith who will work on the Ruger trigger?

Thanks, Tom

Boolit Buddy
    The factory trigger can be worked to the pull range you're looking for with some judicisous stoning/polishing. Other than that, your only options are to find one of the discontinued triggers (Ruger 3-screw, Moyers, Clements, Canjar) or try a Jard #1 trigger (if they are still available).
    Or, bite the bullet for a Kepplinger.

Boolit Master
    Call Berger bullets tech support. They have the name of a gunsmith that specializes in Ruger #1's . He will regrind the trigger and fix it for a reasonable amount of money.

Boolit Master
    Here you go,I finally remembered it:

(260) 982-8385 Penrod precision

Boolit Master

Spend a day with a Trapdoor, then pick up your Ruger. You'll think it's a match trigger.

dale in Louisiana
    (who has both)

Boolit Master
    I can say that the Kepplinger is sure nice, I have one.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

ditto on the "spend a day" routine...do a day with an old military roller and when going back to the factory Ruger...you will want to shoot a few spoilers first as the trigger will seem very lite and the shots will be all over the place.

Hi Folks,

First off, let me thank you all for your suggestions, and apologize for not using any of them. Yesterday I shot the Ruger again. This one is a stutzen in 270 Winchester, what Ruger calls the International model. It is in my opinion the closest I have ever come to a perfect hunting rifle. It shoots one inch five-shot groups at 100 yards with a 1.5-5x Leupold Vari-X III scope, and that straight tube scope looks just fabulous on the short, very light rifle. Shooting groups is a tedious proposition with this gun though. The barrel is about a thick as a soda straw, and each shot heats it to the point of being too hot to hold. I allow about five minutes between shots. On thinking about it, the trigger appears to be doing a fantastic job, and I'm never going to shoot the gun like I do my heavier rifles. It's a hunting gun, pure and simple. So, I think I'll keep the Ruger trigger.

Thanks, Tom

Boolit Master
    I am very pleased with Ruger barrels now. In 95 they started making their own.I have a Hawkeye International .308 that will shoot 3/4" three shot groups.No cooling time. If you are getting that kind of accuracy I would not change anything.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Folks,

First off, let me thank you all for your suggestions, and apologize for not using any of them. Yesterday I shot the Ruger again. This one is a stutzen in 270 Winchester, what Ruger calls the International model. It is in my opinion the closest I have ever come to a perfect hunting rifle. It shoots one inch five-shot groups at 100 yards with a 1.5-5x Leupold Vari-X III scope, and that straight tube scope looks just fabulous on the short, very light rifle. Shooting groups is a tedious proposition with this gun though. The barrel is about a thick as a soda straw, and each shot heats it to the point of being too hot to hold. I allow about five minutes between shots. On thinking about it, the trigger appears to be doing a fantastic job, and I'm never going to shoot the gun like I do my heavier rifles. It's a hunting gun, pure and simple. So, I think I'll keep the Ruger trigger.

Thanks, Tom
    It always pays to shoot first and ask questions later. . .;^)

Boolit Mold
    Here I am again, dredging up an old thread.

Alas, I purchased a Ruger No 1 in 7x57 Mauser, and at the range immediately noticed two problems: 1) heavier-than-I-like trigger pull; 2) rising successive shots.

So I purchased a Jard from EAB and thought surely I could install it myself. I couldn't. Took it to a gunsmith who threw up his hands and said nothing lined up, there was no spring pressure against the trigger, and declared it unsafe.

So here we are again, nearly five years later, and is there any update the folks in the know might offer about what can be done about this heavy trigger, please ?

I also have a No. 1A in 7x57mm. To shoot a five shot group, wait two minutes between shots. Then wait another ten minutes before shooting another group. It helps to bring other guns to shoot while you're waiting on the No. 1 to cool.

It doesn't bother me in the least that I have to let my No. 1 rifles cool between shots. They are hunting guns. I've never needed but one shot in the field.

Boolit Master
    I hate to hear the Moyers is discontinued. I had one put on my #1B 7mm RemMag and it was wonderful! the only other firearm I had that was close was a Weatherby MK V.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    I've a Kepplinger. Don't really care for it, because of the design. It's lighter, but the way it snaps back kind of negates the lighter pull.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all for your accumulated wisdom you are willing to share.

Rifle came back from EAB with both Jard trigger and Hicks damper installed by EABCO, and what a difference it makes.

I cannot say this is better than any other choice, only that this is MUCH improved over stock.

And as of mid-2018, EABCO options are still available for the Ruger #1 (and many others, according to their web site).

Again, thank you all.

Boolit Mold
    My No 1 in 30-06 is definitely broken. It groups extremely well and with each successive shot the group tightens. Don't know what's wrong with it but I think I'll keep it. Wonderful caribou rifle. Jim