Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you can't clean a fired BP gun...

Boolit Buddy

When you can't clean a fired BP gun...

Has happened a few times, fired 6 or 12 shots in the BP revolver, out of time, unable to give a full and proper cleaning, nor the next day or even several days after that. What is the best thing to do to stop any corrosion until you can get back to clean it fully?

And is WD-40 a bad thing?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you don't hit the fouling with some water or BP solvent, steel is going to start deteriorating. Best thing to do if you aren't going to have time to clean it, is to shoot a cartridge gun that day.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Carry a bottle of Windex cleaner with you to the range and before you put it away after shooting it, spray the literal dogsnot out of the entire pistol inside and out to the point the crud is dripping off the pistol and clean it within the next day.

But I also second Waksupi's comment. If you are going to shoot the BP pistol, care for it so you can shoot it another day.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    It takes all of 5-10 minutes to clean a C&B revolver. I don't get "not having enough time" unless you dropped everything to rush to the emergency room or something like that.

Pop the cylinder out, brush/swab under the hot water spigot. Do the same with the barrel. Wipe down. Spray liberally with WD-40 if you have to run out, and finish cleaning when you get home.

Vendor Sponsor

wd 40 like mad and clean that evening

Boolit Master
    I too use windex also.I even use it after a good soap & water cleaning.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=gnoahhh;2225609]It takes all of 5-10 minutes to clean a C&B revolver. I don't get "not having enough time" unless you dropped everything to rush to the emergency room or something like that.

Married.

FWIW, I'm married w/3 kids, and have never missed cleaning a BP arm after firing - I take a plastic bottle of Moose Milk (T/C #13 cleaner) with me & flush the entire gun, until I can get to it later for a more thorough cleaning.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

In Remembrance
    Been there and done that once, if fired they will get cleaned forever more, unless some life or death emergency comes up. Now I will leave one loaded for a week while in camp.

Taco Time,
    When I knew I couldn't get to the cleaning (now married 36 years) I would hose the barrel, cylinder chambers, frame etc with WD-40 and get to it a few days later. No problem with rust. I've only had to do that a couple of times. I'd be leery of using a water based solvent if I was unable to completely dry the gun before I left it uncleaned. Generally, the rotten egg smell acts as a nice wife & kids repellent so I could enjoy the "afterglow" of a nice days shooting while I cleaned the guns.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Buddy
    fill up the sink with hot soapy water and throw the gun in to soak...or spray it with moose milk and let it sit.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    It takes all of 5-10 minutes to clean a C&B revolver. I don't get "not having enough time" unless you dropped everything to rush to the emergency room or something like that.

Pop the cylinder out, brush/swab under the hot water spigot. Do the same with the barrel. Wipe down. Spray liberally with WD-40 if you have to run out, and finish cleaning when you get home.
    # 1 answer. BvT

those that use oil with BP will get sludge to clean out.
    Bring a 1 gallon paint can full of soapy water, and drop the whole thing into it.
    clean it when you get home
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy

Just curious, but do you guys that drop the whole thing into soapy water remove the grips before you do that? I've never just dunked the whole gun, I always clean the disassembeled parts. It just seems to me that you would get trapped water.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Buddy
    Right on Hellgate, with the repellent and the afterglow.

Sensai, I would Remove the wood grips if you want to still have useable wood grips later on.

Boolit Master
    For a thorough cleaning I remove the grips and have at it. I have been known to put the whole works in an oven at the lowest temperature for just long enough to dry it, then oil and re-assemble. (Don't jack up the heat in an effort to speed things along- you may well get into the realm of temperatures that will take the temper out of springs.)

Boolit Buddy

That's what I was thinking. When folks said that they just plunked the gun in soapy water, I could just see the grips still on. Had to check.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Try use g96.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Master
    My stainless Old Army seems to take 30-45 mins (not including drying) or so to clean and reassemble. I use a bronze brush in warm soapy water followed by dry patches. Then I place it in the dishwasher on the dry cycle. Not a quick ordeal, but not too lengthy.

It seems to take well over an hour, and sometimes more than two for me to clean my blued percussion Deerstalker. I've only used the crappy Pyrodex my father gave me with the pistol as I'm still just breaking it in. I use a bronze brush first with soapy warm water followed by dry patches, and it seems the **** just keep coming and coming! I'm perplexed by those that claim cleaning these guns is quick.

On a few occasions when I didn't have time I'd wipe the bore and lock with WD40 and clean the next day. Always cleaned up easy and quick. It generally takes me longer than most to clean a gun but it's simply because I'm "turtle slow".

Hey, Sensai! Are you ME?
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.