Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When you can't clean a fired BP gun...

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, allright then, I'll clean it sooner.

The WD-40 emergency coating did seem to work okay though.

But I will say, on the Old Army, I think those who said they rarely ever or never fully break down the frame for internal cleaning, are cruising for a rusting.

Boolit Buddy

i clean my bp guns with this mix. never water.

1 part Rubbing alcohol, 1 part hydrogen peroxide, and 1 part murphy's oil soap.

if i can't clean right away i'll soak it down with this and come back later.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by grampa243 View Post
    i clean my bp guns with this mix. never water.

1 part Rubbing alcohol, 1 part hydrogen peroxide, and 1 part murphy's oil soap.

if i can't clean right away i'll soak it down with this and come back later.
    I am still 100% against using an aggressive oxidizer in any firearm. If you use that mix, pull your breech plug occasionally and check for corrosion.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I am still 100% against using an aggressive oxidizer in any firearm. If you use that mix, pull your breech plug occasionally and check for corrosion.
    i pull my plug and nipples every cleaning.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    My stainless Old Army seems to take 30-45 mins (not including drying) or so to clean and reassemble. I use a bronze brush in warm soapy water followed by dry patches. Then I place it in the dishwasher on the dry cycle. Not a quick ordeal, but not too lengthy.

It seems to take well over an hour, and sometimes more than two for me to clean my blued percussion Deerstalker. I've only used the crappy Pyrodex my father gave me with the pistol as I'm still just breaking it in. I use a bronze brush first with soapy warm water followed by dry patches, and it seems the **** just keep coming and coming! I'm perplexed by those that claim cleaning these guns is quick.
    I don't think I've ever taken 1/2 hour or even close to that cleaning any firearm I own. my most lengthy operation is with my ruger vaquero and it does not take a fraction of this time. takes longer to tell of the deed then to wash er up and put er away.

I take the grips off ,,, cylinder out ,,, then into a bath of warm water with dawn dish soap dissolved in it. I scrub the bore of the barrel and all cylinders with a bottle brush and scrub the entire revolver with a tooth brush in the soapy water. then out of the sink and run hot water from the tap thru all crevices and cranny's. I do this till im sure the soap is all washed away. then I drip dry for around 3 minutes as I rub it down with a towel...after this and while it is still warm I shoot Remington gun oil thru all ports and action parts with the small straw they provide and continue till the whole revolver is dripping with the oil. then I drip dry it and wipe all exterior oil off as much as I can and re install the grips and walla...done.

if I used the aftermarket black replacement I would re-visit it and wipe the whole thing down inside and out to ensure no nasty is left behind but with real blackpowder I never have any problem with cleaning completely in warm soapy water. if in doubt then squirt it down with a ballistol water mix to soak for a bit before dunking it in the warm bath.

as for not having time... I don't know what to say to that ... golly if you have an amount invested in guns then ... if it were me...[and it is] ... I would never allow regular life to interfere in the love and tender embraces I have with my firearms after we have had fun together. the old adage comes to play here...take care of them and they will take care of you when the opportunity arrives.

Boolit Master
    I completely strip and clean every part of the BP guns after shooting. I use hot soapy water, toothbrush, pipe cleaner and whatever else it takes to get the internals clean. I coat the internals of the repros with Bore Butter, and the originals with RemOil (unless I plan on shooting the originals soon).
    I've taken apart too many guns that weren't properly cleaned - stuck screws, stuck nipples, spent caps jamming the works, rust...
    Clean them thoroughly, and soon. They'll last longer and work better.
    Here's an extreme example of a BP revolver that was not cleaned and put away dirty.
    (Warner .28)

This is what it should look like:

Boolit Bub
    9:1 water-Ballistol (homemade moosemilk) in a small spritzer bottle. Wet down the whole gun and wipe off with a moosemilk dampened rag. Clean later. Been doing this for almost ten years. No rust, no deterioration. Cheap. Works. Smells odd.
    (O)(o)
    ---0000-(. .)-0000---

Boolit Master
    I have waited up to three days to clean a c & B revolver or rifle and never had any trouble and I live in a damp area. But if I was concerned I would spay it inside and out with WD 40 and clean it when I had a chance. One way that I have used to clean them without too much trouble is to take the grips off remove the cylinder and put the gun and parts in the dish washer and run it through a complete cycle. The gun ends up spotless and only needs a light oiling.

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting bp guns for over 30 year & still have some I bought back then.
    I have been watching this thread, & think many of you are making more out of this
    then needs be.

I don't tear my guns all the way down.I think you do more harm by wearing out
    the threads by unscrewing everything each time you shoot.I do pull the nipples &
    grips.After cleaning the barrel & cyilinder I put the gun in a bucket of hot soapy
    water & rinse with hot water, blow dry & oil.

I do use antiseeze on the nipple threads.My guns look great after all those years.
    Fly

[QUOTE=tacotime;2225793]
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    It takes all of 5-10 minutes to clean a C&B revolver. I don't get "not having enough time" unless you dropped everything to rush to the emergency room or something like that.

Married.
    your married. So I guess you have to get permission to go shooting. then permission to clean the gun after. I would suggest 2 things. First get a divorced. then pick days when you have time to clean after shooting.
    OH yea g96 works great if you have to let it sit.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Grand Master

Normally after 40 rds thru my Sharps with Black Powder 3 patches with Ballistol/water 7-1 mix the patches are clean leat soak damp while I deal with the cases. Another wet patch with the ballistol water mix the dry patches. I soak the Lock work action with a light amounnt from a spary bottle and let set while I again agaitate the cases. Spray out with canned air or air compressor. Rinse cases and set them out to dry. Lubricate rifle with break free / oil and light grease on the slides cams. I keep a diaper rag in a plastic bag treated with break free to wipe my firearms down after cleaning.
    When my wife was alive she was more upset if I went shooting with out her LOL. She helped with loading case prep and cleaning. She was becoming a true competitor.

Ive had the odd occasion when ive had to delay stripping and cleaning my 1858 model Remington and have liberally sprayed it with CRC556. Ive cleaned it some days later with no problems. Ive done this several times but as i shoot it every week It doesnt get neglected for long. About 2 monthly I will strip to component level and clean absolutely every nook and cranny. I use standard dishwashing detergent and boiling water. Car polish on the metal and wood keep it looking like new and a bit of oil on a pull through down the barrel keeps that clean. After about 5000 balls through the barrel it shoots very well and still looks like new.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think I've ever taken 1/2 hour or even close to that cleaning any firearm I own. my most lengthy operation is with my ruger vaquero and it does not take a fraction of this time. takes longer to tell of the deed then to wash er up and put er away.

I take the grips off ,,, cylinder out ,,, then into a bath of warm water with dawn dish soap dissolved in it. I scrub the bore of the barrel and all cylinders with a bottle brush and scrub the entire revolver with a tooth brush in the soapy water. then out of the sink and run hot water from the tap thru all crevices and cranny's. I do this till im sure the soap is all washed away. then I drip dry for around 3 minutes as I rub it down with a towel...after this and while it is still warm I shoot Remington gun oil thru all ports and action parts with the small straw they provide and continue till the whole revolver is dripping with the oil. then I drip dry it and wipe all exterior oil off as much as I can and re install the grips and walla...done.

if I used the aftermarket black replacement I would re-visit it and wipe the whole thing down inside and out to ensure no nasty is left behind but with real blackpowder I never have any problem with cleaning completely in warm soapy water. if in doubt then squirt it down with a ballistol water mix to soak for a bit before dunking it in the warm bath.

as for not having time... I don't know what to say to that ... golly if you have an amount invested in guns then ... if it were me...[and it is] ... I would never allow regular life to interfere in the love and tender embraces I have with my firearms after we have had fun together. the old adage comes to play here...take care of them and they will take care of you when the opportunity arrives.
    Exactly what I do. But I use an air compressor to blow out any left over water before spraying with oil. I've left mine for 4 days before cleaning but I was shooting every day and it all cleaned up just as easy as If i'd put a few shots down the barrel.
    Last edited by Kitika; 06-09-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't imagine not having time to clean it right away unless of coarse if an emergency did come up. If I knew ahead of time that I won't have time, I'll shoot a non BP gun instead. I mean it really doesn't take that long or that much longer than cleaning a regular gun.
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by Dryball View Post
    fill up the sink with hot soapy water and throw the gun in to soak...or spray it with moose milk and let it sit.
    Some dishwashing detergents will remove bluing if allowed to soak.

Take care, Tom

Just a note about spraying down a gun with WD-40 as an emergency coating. Make sure that it is placed so that any excess runs down and away from the wood. If you leave it set so the black oil can run back to the stock or grips you may never ever get the black streaks out. Don't ask me how i know.
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12