Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shot the Ruger BH 45 ACP today.

Boolit Grand Master

I was in the local Gander Mountain today and looked right at your guns twin. Looked....and looked...and looked...saw a 41mag BH for $499 stared at that a bunch and thought of the new siding I need on the house and walked out...UGH!!!!
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Nice Ben. Mine will look like Dale53's, hope it shoots as good as yours does. I tend to have that vertical stringing problem with iron sights, but I know it's me. Either that or inconsistent grip from those short grips. That's why I got the bisley, the extra length seems to help me.

I've got some 45 acps loaded up and waiting for when it arrives next week. I don't have a big problem with Unique, but I decided to start with titegroup and Universal, just to try them out.
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Boolit Master

Ben that is a beautiful pistol and your shooting ability makes it look even better.
    I always look at your post and admire those itty bitty groups you shoot.
    Good shooting and sharing.

Sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master
    Fellows ,

My groups probably aren't as good as many of yours.
    My groups that look horrible, I never post on the forum.
    You only see the nice looking ones.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Nice shootin' Ben! Nice pics too!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Fellows ,

My groups probably aren't as good as many of yours.
    My groups that look horrible, I never post on the forum.
    You only see the nice looking ones.

Ben
    Thanks for posting that Ben, I was beginning to think you were some kind of a rifle/pistol shooting Jedi
    Charter Member #148

Very nice! I had thought that the .45 ACP would not shoot all that well in the Ruger convertibles. That .451 bullet rattling down that long cylinder and shaking hands with the forcing cone all a kilter had me thinking that this will not work out so good. Boy was I wrong! I picked up a 5 1/2" .45 Colt/.45 ACP Ruger BH a few years ago and gave the ACP a go with great results also. Just bought the new mid size flat top .45 convertible with the same results. Enjoy that one!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Thanks for posting that Ben, I was beginning to think you were some kind of a rifle/pistol shooting Jedi
    No, I'm not much more than average when it comes to shooting skills.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think Ruger may have been " listening " to shooters.

Ruger has really tightened up the throat and bore dimensions of these convertible 45 ACP / 45 Long Colt revolvers. It is hard to get a .452" bullet through the throats of my cylinders. My revolver has tight throats doesn't lead and shoots real good.

Boolit Grand Master

My Ruger convertible as pictured did NOT shoot well when received. With the .45 Colt cylinder it actually shot well with my cast bullets sized at .452" until about 35 shots and I could tell, even tho' I was shooting standing, that the group was opening up. I took a look at it and found serious leading. I couldn't even load the .45 ACP cylinder if ANY of the bullet shoulder extended past the case mouth. Those were "clues". When I used gauge pins, I learned that both my cylinders were .449-.450" (undersize). I borrowed a good friend's reamer kit and reamed both cylinders to .4525" (I was trained as a machinist). After that, my revolver shot extremely well with .45 Colt and NO leading. Now, I could also load .45 ACP's with a bit of shoulder sticking out from the case mouth. Again, excellent accuracy and NO leading.

My bullet alloy is WW's+2% tin. My .45 Colt Bullet is a Mihec version of the RCBS 45-270-SAA (actually weighs 285 grs in my alloy) sized at .452". My .45 ACP bullet is the Mihec version of the H&G #68 sized at .452". The beauty of this is that the target load I use in my 1911 .45 ACP will work perfectly in both guns. I don't have to keep loads segregated.

Here's the first group I shot with the .45 ACP cylinder (indoors at fifty feet off a makeshift rest). I hadn't even adjusted the sights:

One more item of note. My particular piece will zero both loads with the existing sights. Of course, each has it's own sight setting.
    I bought my revolver along with two friends (three revolvers at the same time). It was kind of a "group buy". All three sets of cylinders were undersize. I reamed all of them and it was MOST successful for all of them. We treasure our convertibles.

I hope the O.P. pardons me for adding the long post as it is a subject dear to my heart. These are FINE revolvers.

FWIW
    Dale53

Moderator Emeritus

Something I did that I do not regret doing is having the acp cylinder faced to accept 45AR. Since the ACP headpsaces on the case mouth you can still shoot ACP in it after facing.

All this does it make a 2 caliber convertible a 3 caliber convertible. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that likes to shoot 255gr keiths in 45AR. So go figure.
    Last edited by Trey45; 05-26-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master
    Nice work there Ben. I have a small frame Ruger Flat Top 45 Colt/ACP that I did load development for and found some 45 ACP loads that shoot very well. I use the NOE 230 RF with 6 grains of Herco and I'm very pleased. I also shoot one of my own 225 grain designs that I used for a combo boolit (has a crimp groove to use with 45 Colt brass) and it too makes nice tight little groups with the same charge. These Rugers are fun with the 45 ACP cylinder and my wife loves shooting this revolver.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    Something I did that I do not regret doing is having the acp cylinder faced to accept 45AR. Since the ACP headpsaces on the case mouth you can still shoot ACP in it after facing.

All this does it make a 2 caliber convertible a 3 caliber convertible. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that likes to shoot 255gr keiths in 45AR. So go figure.
    That is NICE ! !

Moderator Emeritus

Something like 40 bucks at the little local engine machine shop. Well worth it. Had it done a few years ago and have enjoyed it since. The ACP really shines as an accurate target load in these convertibles, the 45 Colt is the workhorse, and now the AR is the range toy. Best of all worlds in one gun. I have my eye on a 4 5/8 45 convertible that when/if I buy it, the ACP cylinder will be sent to Andy Horvath to have it reamed out to 45 Schoffield.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD