Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Tell me about the NOE RG Molds with captive pin system.

Boolit Master

Tell me about the NOE RG Molds with captive pin system.

Have used the MiHec Cramer style molds, but not familiar with the captive pin system as used by NOE in their RG molds. What can you tell me?

Don

Banned

they work well.

Boolit Master
    The Rg system works fine, I don't know if the idea came directly from the old Ohaus made Thompson center molds from years past, or if it was independently developed, but they are so close to the same as to be a non-point.

The only complaint I have about RG molds is they are harder to get a pre-heat on a hot plate than the Cramer type molds. That said, I sure prefer that inconvenience to the inconvenience of using a single cavity "twist plug" type hollow point mold for handgun or high volume calibers. I just expect the first few casts to be rejects, and move on.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Do the pins stay hot like the pins in a Cramer mold?

Works well if you have the pins up to temp. Definitely a learning curve to get used to using it. My keepers went way up when I preheated my mold on a hot plate. The trick to getting them to work well is to get the mold to the proper temp and keeping it there with a good casting rhythm. If your boolits aren't falling out of the mold, chances are it's not hot enough. Hope this helps. Al is a great person to work with and stands behind his product.

Hounddog

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    can someone explain what the "RG" concept is? i have a NOE RG mold with WFN and HP pins, it works well if you know how to get heat to it, but i am not sure what the RG part of this is...

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. Do you use the Lee 6 cavity mould handles and do they fit OK?

Don

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of RG HP molds, the only problem is using them on the mould guide on my RCBS pot. The "sliders" kind of catch on the mould guide. I prefer the Cramer -Miha design.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_man View Post
    can someone explain what the "RG" concept is? i have a NOE RG mold with WFN and HP pins, it works well if you know how to get heat to it, but i am not sure what the RG part of this is...
    The "RG" is a bit of an inside joke. It stands for Rube Goldberg.

I wrote up a description of RG molds a couple of years ago.

The RG Difference

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    I own examples of both the RG4 system and Miha's system. Both systems have their quirks and require their own operating techniques. The RG4 molds have all that aparatus on the bottom of the mold that mostly prevent resting the mold bottom-down on a hot-plate. Miha's system has a the pins flat and flush with the mold bottom so heating the mold and pins on a hot-plate works well. The RG4 pins are longer and thinner then the short-fat pins Miha uses so one would expect Miha's pins to retain heat better but I haven't had a problem getting either system to produce good boolits. Miha's system uses locating pins that stick out one side of the mold block. Miha's hp pins need attention to smoothly open and close the mold whereas the RG4 system allows the pins to wobble and slide into place without much thought.

Both are absolutely first class in quality of design and construction. It sorta comes down to whether you're a domestic muscle car guy or a European exotic import kind of guy. Lots of fun either way.
    Last edited by Oreo; 05-24-2013 at 05:58 AM.

The RG style of pins works really well.I own 2 of NOE's 4 cavity moulds: One in .44 and one in .38/.357. They booth like to be preheated and to be kept hot( the previous Gentlemen's replies are spot on). They are more involved than a solid, but once you get the hang of it, they really drop piles of hollow points. My .44 version( 4 cavity #429421 Keith, 230 grains) requires an exact rhythm, but my .38 version( 4 cavity #358429 Keith,158 grains) they pour out. Both bullets are match accurate. If you are rough on iron moulds, you will find these a little fragile; but treated politely,they are awesome.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    The "RG" is a bit of an inside joke. It stands for Rube Goldberg.

I wrote up a description of RG molds a couple of years ago.

The RG Difference
    LOL, now that is funny!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've several of each style, and while you can get good results with either, I prefer the flat-bottom of the MP Cramer style molds, to the bolt-on pin guides of The RG. I use a Lee Production Pot 20 pounder furnace and the RG molds don't work well with the Lee Mold Guide. For a ladle caster, there is no difference whatsoever, and either will make good boolits nearly as fast as a conventional non-HP mold.

I ran a comparison between my good old 4 cavity Lyman 429-421 and my MP 432-640, also 4 banger. After pre heating, I cast for a half hour with each, and found that I was getting about 12 keepers a minute from the Lyman versus about 10 from the MP. I do not have a 4 cavity RG-4, so I couls not make an "apples to apples" comparison, though I do believe that the RG is a tad slower than the Cramer style. Howsoever, both NOE and MP molds are as good as money can buy. Given the lengthy group buy lead times, I have no qualms buying whichever comes available first.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Want to thank you guys VERY MUCH! I have been in a group buy for another one of Miha's Cramer moulds, but it looks like it will be years before that group buy ever comes to fruition. So, I ordered NOE's 358 88Gr. RF RG2 cavity PB which is in stock and will arrive within a week. Am going to be loading .380 ACP for a doctor friend of mine.

Don