RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: GP-100 4" FIXED sights?

Banned

GP-100 4" FIXED sights?

I went in search of components today and ending up at a large gun store. It looked like a fire sale. Very little in the way of any reloading supplies and loaded handgun cartridges. What is available is priced far beyond what I'm willing to pay. I'm not sure when this madness is going to end but I'm not playing in that sandbox until some sanity returns to the market.

The supply of firearms is improving and I saw some interesting guns for sale. One was a 4" Stainless Ruger GP-100 with fixed sights and a half lug barrel! It was new and had the black rubber Hogue monogrips. They wanted an obscene amount of money and it went back into the case. Shame, I would have loved to taken it home with me.
    It was marked .357 magnum, so it wasn't one of the 38 Special only models from the early stainless steel production dates.
    Anyone know about that version of the GP-100?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a gp100 fixed sight 4" blue half lug - bought it the first year the gp100 came out. I have put probably 40,000 rounds downrange with her from powder puff to teeth rattling and everything in between.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the early GP 100 with fixed sights in 38. It is a dandy shooter and I probably will keep it till I die. It's one of the few pistols I can say that about.

Banned
    They are great guns and I have a 3" barrel with fixed sights but have never seen a 4"/half lug with fixed sights. Wished I could have purchased it. People often compare the GP100 to S&W L-frames and I think they are both excellent guns. IMHO the Ruger is a slightly better design.

Banned
    Upon further research I appears the gun in question is a Ruger KGPF-340 and they did make them in .357 Mag. (they also made .38 Special only GP-100's with half lug barrels but those are no longer in production) Does anyone know if that model was made for a specific contract? They don't seem to be very common.

Boolit Buddy
    The supply of firearms is improving and I saw some interesting guns for sale. One was a 4" Stainless Ruger GP-100 with fixed sights and a half lug barrel! It was new and had the black rubber Hogue monogrips.
    That's a new run of a very old model...

KGPF-340

Here's mine from 1989:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o6znth.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	71043

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger security six 357mag I bought new and I will not part with it.It will handle everything I feed it. Shot in a Bullseye league with it and held a 280 average
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    I've got one just like you describe. It is an ex-police revolver. As long as you stick with one load (powder type and amount, bullet type and weight), it is easy to adjust (file) the sights to center your load. I have done that with mine. However, any other load will impact at a different point.

Boolit Master

I frequent probably the largest stocking GS in my area & the rep from the dist. happen to be promoting Rugers .

He threw 1 on the ground & invited me to run over it with my pick up , he said if I could break it to the point of non functioning I could have it to send to Ruger for a new 1 !

Fairly large crowd 10-12 people there & me & my 77 GMC with 14x36 tires , I ran over it while all watch & listened to him speak of deals & up coming products , lost count !

He stopped me then picked it up & put on some muffs ,loaded it ,shot all 6 rounds .

That was the day I bought my first GP100.

My 4" is to be buried with me !!
    GP100man