Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: wad column in slug/ball load

Boolit Bub

wad column in slug/ball load

I understand that you can't always mess with wad column in shot shells but is the following safe?
    Because I have the crappy gas seal from bpi, could I add a hard card under it for a better seal? Is it safe to use a filler or corn meal or cream of wheat under the wad? Doesnt 410 shells have filler in them? Loose filler that is. Also why is it that the wads I have require building the shot column in a 2.75" shell? When wads in 12ga don't?
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines. Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."
    General William Thornson, USA

Boolit Master

Silas, it is risky to change any component in a published load. If you adhere to the data from a good reloading manual you will stay out of trouble and have ammunition that performs well. DO NOT put any type of filler UNDERNEATH your gas seal!!!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Bub
    I know not to put anything under the gas seal filler wise. But wouldn't a hard card help seal? And is it ok to add a filler between the gas seal and shot cup?
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines. Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Banned
    Good morning Silas, go ahead and use nitro card and always try to incorporate felt filler to make up the crimp index for a proper crimp!

No man is a failure who is enjoying life at the range."- Blazing Sabots

Best regards,
    Ajay
    BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
    Blazing Sabots, LLC
    www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl

Boolit Bub
    At the moment I am using one thin felt disk and a 1/4" cork wad below my shot cup. Its doing alright but I want to know if I can use a granular filler instead. On top of the gas seal and below the shot cup.
    Also, with international clays powder from hogden, would it be a powder for my light ball rounds? I can't seem to find any data for use in ched and rio halls. I got the latest edition of lee shotgun reloading and it doesn't have rio hulls but does have ched hulls fir shot but not slug. I am getting my rifled barrel crowned sometime this week. So ill most likely be buying some of your 20 gauge sabots