Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Need a little help

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Need a little help

Hopefully this is in the right place. I want to load cast in 300 Blackout on a dillon 550. Dillon calls for the AK powder funnel which doesn't expand the case neck. I don't want to swage the bullets, but I'd rather not have to pull the round off of the dillon to run it through a Lyman m die and then put it back on the dillon press. Any suggestions?

Boolit Master

I had to look at the Dillon website to find the 550 has 4 stations. If you can run a primed round through a Lyman M die without pushing the primer out with air pressure, then put the M die in station 2 and shift everything else over and crimp separately after all other processes are done.

Another thought is to have a larger power thru expander turned down to the size that you need.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

I'd resize/decap and expand as a batch. Then prime, load,seat and crimp with ready to go brass.

Boolit Master

Instead of using the rifle type powder drop tube use the pistol type 30 cal expanding drop tube , i use this for loading my 32/20 AKA 30/20 with RCBS 165gr sil cast bullet and 22 hornet on the dillon 550.
    I resize , deprime and expand the case at station 1 useing Redding neck sizer dies with a Tungsten carbide expander ball and bell the case & drop the powder in station 2, seat the bullet in station 3 and lightly taper crimp in station 4. with excellent results & accuracy
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 05-16-2013 at 08:09 AM.

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God
    Some great input. So far I'm liking Bobthenailers suggestion of using a pistol powder thru expander to mimic what the m die would do. I considered having another die turned down and may still do that if I need to. Lastly doing them in batches as Jupiter said wouldn't be the end of the world either. Thanks guys.

Boolit Grand Master

It wouldnt be much work to turn up a new one from bar stock even with a lathe handy. Drill and ream the thru hole turn the end dia and angle you belling ( expander portion) then the body if needed. Cut of to length and deburr. A smple easy part to make. A local machine shop could make it pretty easily in 1/2 hour or so pretty easy. I would have done it on my lunch break at work. If you want to get fancy heat and harden it before polishing. But isnt really neccesary.

Boolit Grand Master

When loading cast on my 550B when the funnel doesn't expand the case mouth I put the M die in station 3 and the seater in station 4. In operation the bullet is set into the expanded case neck at station 3 and then it is rotated to station 4 for bullet seating. Just a slight variation of the usual routine is all. Works quite well and I do it often.

Larry Gibson

I use the 30 cal pistol expanding powder funnel to load 300AAC & M1 .30 carbine on my Dillon 550. It works fine.

BB