Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: 45/70 brass with enlarged flash hole

Boolit Mold

45/70 brass with enlarged flash hole

So I bought this brass on clearance a while back, as it was an opened return with not all the brass there.

Now I know why.

As you can see the flash holes are a lot larger than normal.

So the question is, factory defect? Or did someone do this on purpose? If so why?

Also I'm guessing they aren't usable anymore?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20130515_195426_288.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

The only times I have seen this is with wax or rubber bullets and the attending light loads. I find it hard to believe the factories would have missed this. What Im wondering about is if someone started to install "Flash Tubes" in these case. The tube was screwed into place and of a length to ignite the front of the powder charge. Large artilery uses this teqnique ( navel guns, and such) The tube is then removed to deprime and reinstalled to prime. If I remember correctly Elmer Kieth played around with this for awhile. Was probably more work than it gained. I have seen primer pockets sleeved to small rifle at times. I have seen them "reamed" a few thousands bigger for reasons of consistency. Not sure what is the reason here but they are not safe to reload. Contact seller and explain the issue to him. Maybe a refund will be issued. If you have a drill set (numbered) find the one that fits hoe snug and give them that dimension so they understand how big they actually are. A small brass insert could be made to thread in and then be drilled to .060-.070 flash hole alot of work and little gain.

Boolit Mold
    I picked these up at Scheels probably 8 months ago, just never got around to using them. I'll have to look closer to see if they are threaded per chance.

I figured they weren't safe to shoot so I removed them from my stash. I probably should just scrap them as I know Scheels won't take them back.

Thanks for the insite

Boolit Grand Master

That's scary. Likely would result in blown primer if loaded and fired. The flash hole is the only pressure regulation for the primer.

Boolit Buddy

I've heard of people doing that, drilling out the flash holes, for shooting wax/ hot glue bullets with just the primer. Never really seen it or done it, though. Seems like a terrible waste, especially with something like 45/70. I doubt that it's a factory defect.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Man
    I had run into a similar situation scrounging brass on the range and once fired brass for other sources. Some WW 45acp cases had a much larger flash hole. The assumption was made that a handloader had modified the brass. About the same time some Federal 45acp Brass showed up that used small pistol primers. One explanation is that these WW cases are made to reduced the amount of lead released from the primers when fired. Evidently, Federal has a different solution. It is necessary to be careful sorting the WW brass to avoid loading rounds with the oversize flash hole. Cases made for the small primers kinda stand out.

Boolit Grand Master

The new flash hole appears to be around .100 in dia cant tell from the pics if there is a thread cut in it. This would be about the right size for the old flash tubes or for wax rubber bullets. I have only heard of the tubes in large ammo 3" up but I can remember reading Of Elmer Kieths accounts of it in the mid 70s or so. I would destroy them or find a place where they could never be mixed in with "good Brass". They will be handy for making Cake cutters ( removing bullets that have been pan lubed), Blow tubes, And other accesories though.Maybe a really neat breech seater for a single shot in 45-70 . Just do not load them now with regular loads.

Boolit Buddy
    are the flash holes around 0.096?

drilling out your flash holes with a #41 bit is something recomended in the book "Loading cartridges for the original .45-70 Springfield rifle and carbine" by J.S. and Pat Wolf. according to the book this greatly improves ignition and accuracy when using heavily compressed BP loads. i have not tried it and cannot vouch for the effectiveness.

-matt

Perm-Banned
    it was popular several years ago to inlarge the flash hole slightly but it looks like yours is way too much. i still use that brass but i wont do it again when i get new.

Boolit Master
    I've drilled .44 and .45 PISTOL cases to use wax,rubber and/or plastic projectiles. I use them to shoot in the basement and to familiarize NEW shooters to the operation of a handgun. Before I would use these cases (pictured) I would definetly find out more about loading them with black powder. With MODERN loads the primer will be pushed back due to an increase in pressure exerted on the primer. This could lead to serious damage to the firer and gun!

Berger,
    I have been tinkering with wax/glue bullets due to limited access to a range. I would be interested in buying them if you are going to scrap them. How many do you have, and how much would you like for them + shipping?

Boolit Master
    Looks like scrap to me - at least as far as any loads with real bullets go.

ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 2AMMD View Post
    Berger,
    I have been tinkering with wax/glue bullets due to limited access to a range. I would be interested in buying them if you are going to scrap them. How many do you have, and how much would you like for them + shipping?
    I'll take a look tonight as to how many I have. and I'd be happy if you just covered shipping.

Boolit Buddy
    If I was discharging primers in an enclosed area (basement) I would want to be sure that there was some sort of fresh air exchange, as breathing primer residue probably isn't all that good for your health.

Pm sent