Load DataWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: !905/10 Remington Rolling Block action question?

Boolit Buddy

!905/10 Remington Rolling Block action question?

Hi Guys,

I made up some loads for the 7 mm Rolling block & had a chance to shoot it today! I necked up the brass to 30 cal. & back to 7 mm Fits like a glove! I used "The Load" of 10 grains of Bullseye with a 156 gr gas checked bullet.
    Fired three rounds. No pressure sign or set back of the primer. Actually hit the target low but grouped well.

Here is my function issue!
    With the fourth round the hammer dropped but did not fire. Cocked the hammer back as normal. The rolling block would not move!
    A few light taps with a wood block - opened it.... BUT.... not quite all the way.
    Could not remove the loaded case, as the rear of the case hit the rolling block.

The extractor did not rip the case but it was outside the case! Itied the hammer back & came home knocked out the case with no problem. I tried the rifle with a primed case it fired correctly & ejected properly! Did I not cock the rolling block back correctly? So the extractor was not returned to it's proper pre fired place?
    No fun haveing a loaded chamber & a jammed 105 year old rifle, any help is welcome!

Best, broom
    Last edited by broomhandle; 05-15-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Reworded for more clarity.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like there may be dirt or debris in the extractor groove and the case over-rode it. The gun should not fire if the block is not closed all the way, but I always give mine a little thump on the lever before firing.
    Could be one case was headspaced longer with the false neck and would not let the block close all the way. This is why one has to make sure that the shoulder on fireformed loads is moved back just a little. Did your removed case show signs of the neck or rear of the case polished from contacting metal and getting stuck?
    Also "The Load" was published by Ed Harris as 13grs of Red Dot in a full size case like 7X57, 30-06, etc. I have the Handloader's Digest with the original article in it. Sounds like you have a good load though.

Boolit Buddy
    Did your removed case show signs of the neck or rear of the case polished from contacting metal and getting stuck?
    Leadman

Hi Sir,

I did not look! I'll check it in the morning. I was concerened that I broke something, because that rolling block was not quite back far enough. The shape of the top side of the rolling block was rubbing the rim, so it did not allow the case to come out normally.
    I will take the action apart tomorrow & check that every thing is clean. It looks OK but I know 0 about rolling blocks.

Thanks for your help,
    broom

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Guys,

My 7 MM Rolling block fired 10 rounds of cast 150 gr bullets. It shot two nice groups, Two tight groups one to the left & one to the right of my aiming point!
    I have to check the forend bedding or something.

I also discovered that the (my 7 mm )Rolling Block action...DOES NOT... come apart as in the Midway vidio on you tube!
    I did exactly as the vidio showed! The rolling block would not move up & out as in the vidio, as it was still under spring pressure ...I looked at the vidio again!
    NO JOY on the second attempt.... I called the owner of Rolling block parts & he laughed! He told me I also have to take out the screw under the rolling block front pin FIRST.

I'm so glad, I'm not a vise grip & big screw driver guy (anymore)! I'm sure some of you have done something dumb in the past.
    I'll shoot with it again, after I strip the action & give it a better cleaning, I will also install the lighter trigger spring & load some stronger loads.

Best to all, broom