MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: 44 slicks

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar

44 slicks

Here's a picture of the slicks I use in my 44-77
    Left to right, the KAL tapered gibbs , the Old West .435 in 1.1 and 1.35 lengths, the BACO 434-470, Accurate 43-470p
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001-8_zpsfa22ba17.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	70610
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

Don, Really nice looking bullets there like the Accurate on the right end. Are they cup based or flat based pic dosnt show. ( Inquiring minds want to know). What are you using for alloy with these? Thanks for the pics and your time

The KAL has both flatbase and cup based plugs, the Old West 435 is cup base, the BACO and Accurate are flat based.
    I had accurate make that same bullet in .442 diameter at 500 grs for the 45's so that if a person found it to shoot well enough it would be weight legal for places like Raton.

Glad you liked the pic. Keep us updated on your patched bullet adventures.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks done. Im setting at the drafting table of and on as time allows. Seen a pic of the old Ideal cylindrical mold used by target shooter around the turn of the century. I just about have all the dimensions figured out now. I am going to borrow a friends lathe and bore up one ( That ussally becomes 3-4 in reality) .442 dia bullet and a postell style nose. What I find interesting is this is a one piece mold block the nose form acts as an ejector. ANd noses can be changed with just the addition of a new nose form in the mold. According to Ideals old catalougs they were very accurate as to size and roundness. I have only found 2 pics of this mold on the internet but many descriptions of it. Its caught my curiosity now.

I tried to talk Bernie at Old West into making one of those Ideal moulds, and he politely declined... I'm not real sure how that bullet would do on long range with the step at the end of the shank and the start of the taper to the nose. But one thing is for sure a person would have a definite reference point for wrapping the patches.
    I think they may of had some problems with those moulds not always releasing the bullet, the original Ideal catalog makes numerous reference to things you shouldn't do to get the bullet out of the mould..
    Any it will be really neat to see how that little project turns out for you.